DeBranding a Nokia N97 'how to'

Tim-Ann

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Anyone know how to apart from Google where I'm getting lost rebrand a N97 I want to get rid of the Vodafone branding.

I've so far tried NSS but not sure if it works on Vista SP2 so will try it on a XP machine tonight, if I alter the phone code I think that fools it into accepting a new unbranded firmware would that be correct?

Any pointers or help would be much appreciated.

I am aware rebranding voids the warranty.

Many thanks, Tim.

Hi there,

Not sure but I'm using Vista 64 perhaps that's why I have problems with NSS but as you say I need to use the JAF link.

Do you know does he have a seperate one for the N97?

many thanks, Tim.

Hi there,

Decided to give up to risky re warranty so sold it and bought an unbranded phone.

Tim.

Wondering if anyone can guide me on this.

I have a new T-Mobile 5800 that I want to unlock and de-brand. I waqnt to use it on 3 as their internet MB are a better deal on PAYG.

I read somewhere that I can pay T-Mobile to get an unlock code, or pay one of the better unlocking firms to do this.

But would I still need to de-brand to get rid of all the T-Mobile specific menu options, or are they driven off the sim card?

What is the best sequence to do all this?

Unlock then debrand, or debrand then unlock?

Thanks

If you later have warranty problems the old product code can be put back in seconds.

Yes it can, and I had my old debranded N95 repaired under warranty after changing the product code back. However, there were rumours of people being refused warranty claims due to changing product codes, with Nokia being able to tell you`d done it even if the product code had been changed back, as the Nokia Updater Software logs every update with corresponding product code at their end, so they can see the complete update history of the phone. Not sure how true all this is, but caution is advised.

NSS works fine with Vista SP2. I used it on my N97 to debrand --> update to fw v12 --> rebrand it again.

NSS works fine with Vista SP2. I used it on my N97 to debrand --> update to fw v12 --> rebrand it again.

Why rebrand?

If it's for warranty purposes, you're already a bit stuck as when you update via Nokia Software Update it makes a note of your phone and which product code is assigned to it. So if two different product codes appear against the same phone, your warranty goes out of the window as it's clear what you have been doing.

Why rebrand?

If it's for warranty purposes, you're already a bit stuck as when you update via Nokia Software Update it makes a note of your phone and which product code is assigned to it. So if two different product codes appear against the same phone, your warranty goes out of the window as it's clear what you have been doing.

Hi Rob, i'm worried about invalidating my warranty if I was to debrand using nsu. If I was to use the method described here and assuming I didn't brick it and changed the product code back, would I be okay warranty wise as long as I rebranded it before I took it to a nokia care point?

Your IMEI is recorded with an associated product code. This is known and logged with Nokia before it even gets to you.

When you change that product code and use Nokia Updater it logs the IMEI and the product code. It will show that the code has been changed if Nokia look it up, which is quite likely in a warranty claim.

Nokia haven't officially said they will refuse warranty repairs for any phones with the product code changed, but they will cite the section of their warranty T&C's that says any unauthorised software / firmware modification will result in a void warranty.

If you took the phone in for a physical repair you'll be fine I'm sure, the two things couldn't possibly be linked.

But if you took it in with a software / firmware problem, be it bricked or just not operating correctly, Nokia may well - and have already in some cases - refuse the repair under warranty. It will depend on what they believe the cause of your problem is and whether they feel your actions could have caused it.

It's a risk. I can't advise whether you should do it or not, but I can say that I have done so in the past and would do so again, knowing full well my warranty may be void.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom