1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Debit Card Question

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DannyG33, May 19, 2005.

1. DannyG33

DannyG33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello there
    could someone inform me on what i can do.
    I was with an ISP called V21 a few years ago,and lef them to go with Freeserve/Wanadoo,well i got a email a while ago saying they wanted to offer
    old members a chance to use there isp again for 99p for a months usage,so i joined up coz 99p is nothing,but since then i cannot cancel account as they are changing t& c all the time,1st change is you must stay 3 months,then 2nd change its you must give us 28 days notice,now 3rd change is you must mail/fax us to cancel,not phone them,trouble is i used Nat West debit card and its coming up to another months bill,but by time i have written to them and they get it.process it ,my bill date will of past and they get payment,there really going down hill with all these new rules,they use an 0870 number which is 8p a minute and its allways long wait to get to speak to someone,so there raking it in there as well,was thinking of making sure my nat west account didnt have any money in it,so then they couldnt get theres ,btw i dont use them so cannot be accused by them of still using the account for net access,i dont know the rules for debit cards,so dont no what to do..
    Long post i no lol
    Danny

2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Conveniently "lose" your debit card and ask your bank to replace it with a new one - it should have a new number and any transactions like this shouldn't be allowed to be processed (as it's a cancelled card).

Underhanded and sneaky - but then again, sometimes you have to be.

3. DannyG33

DannyG33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SadMuppet
    yep good point there,dont no why i didnt think along those lines myself.
    Dan
    PS If it did get processed would i have a cause to complain[bank] to them m8?

4. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    The concept is that if you report a card lost - any spending on it after the reported loss is stopped - as they would assume that someone else found it and is clearly trying to use it. Any transaction that took place after would in theory be liable by the bank (as you've informed them it has been lost - and you wouldn't want any fraudulent usage now, would you? :) )

It takes 4-7 days for a new card to come through (a pain I know), but it's cheaper than your phone call (I.E. Free:))

5. DannyG33

DannyG33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta SM
    Will have to go down them lines ,unless someone comes up with another way,but thats not saying yours isnt good,coz it is .
    Cheers for replying..
    Dan

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I am not possitive that the idea of reporting your card as lost will work anyway - I know that when I did actually lose my credit card they stopped all one off transactions but all standing payments (eg my AOL subscription at the time) just automatically transfered to my new card.

The legitimate way to deal with this would be to document yourself having complied with the current T&Cs to cancel the account. If at the moment the T&Cs say it must be done in writing & give 28 days notice then write a letter enclosing a copy of the T&Cs and send it by recorded delivery ensuring you keep a copy of the T&Cs and letter for yourself. Under Contract Law the contract is effected from the date the letter is posted and not the date it is received/processed.

If they then take any payments over what they are allowed to for the 28 days notice you have now given then contact NatWest and report it as an unauthorised payment - your letter, proof of posting and copy of the T&Cs will show you have abided by the terms of your contract and will strongly aid your case when Natwest are looking into it.

7. DannyG33

DannyG33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I here what your saying and indeed have done some of whats in your post,but the thing i,m concerned about is,i spoke to them 3 weeks ago to confirm i was leaving before next payement was due and was told no prob,since been back in touch and saw there amended t&c and have been told now 28 days notice,in writing/fax.how can they amend t&c and make us all abide by there amendments,is beyond me.it cleary states on there web site you can phone to cancel,when you do you get no it must be this way now[write/fax].i,m not playing there silly games,if you see it the same as i do its purely stalling tacticts knowing not many people would close an account down 1 or 2 or 3 days after paying for a month.btw why not mention to me 3 weeks ago the 28 day rule??coz it wasnt in there interest to do so,or they hadnt thought of it then..lol
    Dan
    Heres an example of the problem...FAQ,s which i read that the day i signed up,i thought 99p for a month is great,they got in touch with me ,and thought as i used them before it wasnt to much to try them again.and now i,m on my 4th month coz i cannot leave,3 months of that is @ 13-99 per month,and now heading into another months payement.
    Q:/
    Am I tied into a specific length contract?
    A:/
    The service is supplied on a month-by-month basis, so you may cancel at any time through the members area, or by calling customer services
    http://www.zazizam.com/help/faq/index.php?qid=14&frommostpopular=yes

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Unfortuantly most companies who are able to will put in a clause that they are entitled to change the T&Cs when they want without prior notice.

As I said in my first post the only way to beat the system is to print off the T&Cs at the day you give the required notice and keep a copy of them for yourself. Whilst they can change the T&Cs the changes can very rarely be made retrospectively so if you follow their cancellation process one day and they change the T&Cs the next they cannot then 'invalidate' your cancellation because of the change.

As long as you can prove to NatWest that you have followed the T&Cs as they were on the day you cancelled the contract then they will almost certainly be willing to reject further payment requests as unauthorised. Generally they do not like rejecting payments (unless card has been reported lost etc) for the equiv of standing orders as they can then be caught in the middle of contract disputes.