Debate: what happens with the Marantz *300?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cribeiro, Jan 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Hi there!

I am reading now very often in the forum, and I have found that the Marantz's last models seem problematic, since many of the questions posted here are about them, and the final conclusion seems to be a defective amp. Is there something wrong with them? What do you think? (I am specially talking about the 4300)

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what problems? no my 5300 is fantastic and fault free

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No faults with my previous sr6200 or my current sr6300 either.

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    A couple of the previous (*200) series had issues with clicks & pops through a rear channel when playing DTS, being slow to recognise incoming bitstreams (is it DD or DTS, hmm, let me think for a while...). Also there were some issues I believe with video outputs and OSD.

Generally speaking Marantz came up with solutions for most if not all of these (the thing to look for is a green mark/sticker on either the box or the unit that signifies it's been modified).

However it did take a while in some cases and was for some extremely frustrating. Some of the issues at least were attributed to a lack of component testing with UK voltages, duh!

I used a 4200 for a while (as a processor) and liked the sound, but hated the problems (DTS clicking, slow format recognition). At the time the missus didn't like the look of it either so it had to go back. She thought it looked "hideous".

Since then the missus has given her blessing to a replacement so we're now living with an Tag AV32R instead which is much more pleasing to her eyes and to my ears. ;)

5. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Good, thanks for the information. It is not that I will actually buy one, specially in the present or next year, but it looks like the next step and I would like to think that it will be fault free.
    Then, it was an isolated problem. Good to know. Thanks, and congratulations to James45 and groundy four your amps.

6. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi

Having just got myself a SR5300 which i think is great,the problems with the x200 range last year seem top off been fixed because all are now modified for the UK market.

The only problem i actually had with my 5200 was long delays on chapter changes,menus etc,sometimes took upto 3 to 4 seconds which bugged me a bit.

That delay hasnt totally gone on the new range,but it has been reduced to the point it doesnt affect your enjoyment.
    The delay on menus is down to about 1 second,and on chapter changes down to under a second,which for me,is perfectly acceptable.