Death Stranding Director's Cut Review & Comments

Valen

How does this compare graphically to the PC version I wonder? I am finally burning my way through a really enjoyable Cyberpunk 2077, so looking for my next fix.

FutureShark

I was playing performance mode for a while to keep the 60fps up, then I heard that in widescreen mode the 60fps is still stable and proper 4K.

Breathtaking, the game looks even better IMHO, so I would recommend this is the way to play, my TV is 55'' so I can only imagine how it must look on larger displays.

thewhofan

Article mentions 3D audio is available for compatible headsets but as far as I am aware 3D audio works with any headphone or headset. Works just fine with my Sennheiser HD650's.

dollag

How does this compare graphically to the PC version I wonder? I am finally burning my way through a really enjoyable Cyberpunk 2077, so looking for my next fix.

I don’t think it’s any different rather than using the extra horsepower of the ps5. In theory, the pc should be able to give a better performance graphic wise but I doubt it’s noticeable.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
I played the PS4 version of the game and sorely tempted to replay on PS5 - does anyone know if I bring my old (endgame) save across - will I have access to the new story missions and is it obvious where to find them?

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
I was playing performance mode for a while to keep the 60fps up, then I heard that in widescreen mode the 60fps is still stable and proper 4K.

Breathtaking, the game looks even better IMHO, so I would recommend this is the way to play, my TV is 55'' so I can only imagine how it must look on larger displays.

The 21:9 mode is what I’ve been playing it in on my JVC projector. It is absolutely stunning to look at.

Jimmy Grease

how do people with PlayStation keep falling for this? directors cut so we can sell it to you again on ps5, sony really are the apple of the gaming sector.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
how do people with PlayStation keep falling for this? directors cut so we can sell it to you again on ps5, sony really are the apple of the gaming sector.
This was my first time purchase of the game so I've not felt robbed by this and, not to be a PS fanboy because...well, I'm really not, I can only think of one other example where a game had a paid upgrade from PS4 to 5 (Ghost of Tsushima). On the whole the generational upgrade experience has been pleasantly surprising in how much I'm not having to pay for.

pjay54

This was my first time purchase of the game so I've not felt robbed by this and, not to be a PS fanboy because...well, I'm really not, I can only think of one other example where a game had a paid upgrade from PS4 to 5 (Ghost of Tsushima). On the whole the generational upgrade experience has been pleasantly surprising in how much I'm not having to pay for.
Me too. I bought a second-hand PS4 copy for a tenner, plus a fiver for the upgrade, bargain!

Jimmy Grease

thats great but for all the people wanting to play it with a next gen experience who already own it? i don't think Sony can stay consumer focused without a gamepass alternative.

Tolq

Distinguished Member
thats great but for all the people wanting to play it with a next gen experience who already own it? i don't think Sony can stay consumer focused without a gamepass alternative.
Like pjay above I had a used copy and was happy to pay a fiver for the upgrade, which also includes extra content. I think that's a very reasonable price.

LotusElan

Distinguished Member
Like pjay above I had a used copy and was happy to pay a fiver for the upgrade, which also includes extra content. I think that's a very reasonable price.
Same here; also just bought a secondhand PS4 copy of this.

Even though I'm naturally tight-fisted I don't generally expect something for nothing so I was more than happy to stump up a fiver to reward the development team for their (presumably) additional efforts. Unless of course it happens that the upgrade version was already integrated from the start and all they've done is simply change the build options then click a button to generate the new executable (plus send the alternative artwork to the printers and stamp some new discs for the other punters buying it new) then I'd like a refund from the lazy sods. :D

Anyway... played my first hour of this last night and no idea what's going on! :rotfl:

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
It cost me an extra fiver. Happy to pay it. It’s more than just polish…

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Even though I'm naturally tight-fisted I don't generally expect something for nothing so I was more than happy to stump up a fiver to reward the development team for their (presumably) additional efforts. Unless of course it happens that the upgrade version was already integrated from the start and all they've done is simply change the build options then click a button to generate the new executable (plus send the alternative artwork to the printers and stamp some new discs for the other punters buying it new) then I'd like a refund from the lazy sods. :D
There has been quite a bit added, gameplay wise (additional levels, traversal options, racing - meh) as well as the world physics being altered, water geometry remodelled and graphically being substantially boosted (the 4k 60fps wide screen looks incredible). It's the best looking and performing version of the game.

I'm very impressed with what I've got for the price of a pint in a stuck up pub, and I'm also a tight bastard at the best of times!

LotusElan

Distinguished Member
I'd not played it before, so have no reference to the non-DC version, but it definitely sounds like more than just some spit'n'polish. I'm looking forward to getting into it properly and from what I've seen already I do like the 21:9 mode. :D

And you're spot on with the beer valuation/justification method - that's how I rationalise stuff I buy too ("Well, it's the same price as a round..."). :rotfl: In this instance the upgrade equates to two pints of real ale in our local (but only on a Monday and you have to bear in mind we have to tolerate living in Derby so I guess that's swings and roundabouts; we're fortunate to have electricity this far Norf...).

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
I'd not played it before, so have no reference to the non-DC version, but it definitely sounds like more than just some spit'n'polish. I'm looking forward to getting into it properly and from what I've seen already I do like the 21:9 mode. :D

And you're spot on with the beer valuation/justification method - that's how I rationalise stuff I buy too ("Well, it's the same price as a round..."). :rotfl: In this instance the upgrade equates to two pints of real ale in our local (but only on a Monday and you have to bear in mind we have to tolerate living in Derby so I guess that's swings and roundabouts; we're fortunate to have electricity this far Norf...).
North Yorkshire here mate... Proper Hobbit country.

I have a pony on a treadmill rigged up to a dangerously under-regulated generator in a somewhat Frankenstien-esque setup just to get the AV gear up and running in my gaff.
Backup is a series of rats in wheels for when Dobbin is feeling under the weather. The rats are surprisingly efficient as a failover power source.

Anyway... Yes, it's a fiver well spent :)

LotusElan

Distinguished Member
Sometimes when the lights go out I can only rely on the sounds of our knuckles dragging on the ground to work out where we are ("knuckolocation"). That's if I can actually hear anything over the constant background wailing of the other serfs. At least the filth keeps us warm... :(

And another anyway... I defaulted to the Normal difficulty setting so I'll have to see how that goes. I'm not one for overly punishing gameplay so hopefully that was a good choice but it looks like it's not set in stone for the entire run through and I can change it via the menus if too easy/hard.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Sometimes when the lights go out I can only rely on the sounds of our knuckles dragging on the ground to work out where we are ("knuckolocation"). That's if I can actually hear anything over the constant background wailing of the other serfs. At least the filth keeps us warm... :(

And another anyway... I defaulted to the Normal difficulty setting so I'll have to see how that goes. I'm not one for overly punishing gameplay so hopefully that was a good choice but it looks like it's not set in stone for the entire run through and I can change it via the menus if too easy/hard.
Yep, not set in stone at all - I played on hard the entire way through (so far - still working to finish it) and very nearly dropped a level during "Unger", but managed to succeed on my final effort :)

p9ul

Distinguished Member
Yep, not set in stone at all - I played on hard the entire way through (so far - still working to finish it) and very nearly dropped a level during "Unger", but managed to succeed on my final effort :)
There's no reason to play on hard for the story - the trophy for "Legend of Legends" is for deliveries only.

I initially played it all on hard - but some of those mercenary camps were a bit of a pain.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton