DEATH PROOF now out on dvd ...

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
I have just noticed that DEATH PROOF starring Kurt Russel & directed by Tarantino is now out & available to buy on Reg.1 "STANDARD DEF" dvd.

Seeing as the UK cinema release of this movie, along with PLANET TERROR has been delayed (why it was delayed this long god only knows !!) and I really do wanna see this movie and no doubt obtain the dvd BUT ... I would really want the HD version.

Does anyone know if HD version of this (& Planet Terror) are planned to be released and if so when ... I need to weigh up whether or not to go ahead and buy the SD version now, or go to the cinema and then wait for the HD versions.

daveaka

I cant wait to see these films, I wish they would get a move on and release them..By the way I saw Rob Zombies Halloween the other night v good

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
I cant wait to see these films, I wish they would get a move on and release them..By the way I saw Rob Zombies Halloween the other night v good

Hey thats cool & glad to hear a good report on this movie remake ... I do have high hopes for it and was only discussing it on this forum very recently.

Did you notice how loads of the cast from The Devils Rejects feature in Zombie's Halloween remake:

Sid Haig
Bill Mosely
Ken Foree
Sherri Moon
William Forsyth
Danny Trejo

:)

I have also heard that there are loads of subtle things to look out for in Death Proof for example ...

In one scene with Kurt R, you can see the T-shirt he wore in Big Trouble in Little China in the background :cool:

I think the car is rumoured to have the same number plate as the car in Bullit too !

TarPot

I thought Death Proof was pretty poor on my first viewing. I saw it in it's "Grindhouse" version. I prefered Planet Terror.

It did have some great things about it.....
Kurt Russell-Awesome as always. He's nearly everything cool in this movie. Every time he opens his mouth in this, he's cool
The cars scenes-Really cool. Very well done.

Now the bad.....
The women in this film just sit round. talk and talk-about very little and for a long time. This does nothing to move the plot and it is not interesting or funny in a "Vincent and Jules" way.
Loads of shots of women's feet. Loads! Tarantino should try to get over this.
Eli Roth acting-terrible. Fair enough in your own movies, but to crowbar in other people's. He should know better.
Tarantino's acting. Bad.

Maybe I was expecting too much. But what worries me about Death Proof is that it is now 30mins longer than the Grindhouse version. That fills me with dread, as it was very slow at an hour and a half.

This is my opinion on viewing it once. Maybe it will be better on a 2nd viewing.

The fake trailers in Grinhouse were great.

I'd really love to know what other people thought of Grindhouse/Death Proof.

Anyway, sorry for waffling on. But it looks like there will be a HD-DVD release in Germany at some point.

Look here and scroll down to the 7th picture.

Doctor Smith

I thought grindhouse was brilliant, death proof is slow though but it was perfect with the fake trailers and as a double feature. I'm a bit worried about death proof as a stand alone film. planet terror is a different story brilliant

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
Hmmm ... I have also heard mixed reports about Death Proof & nothing but praise for Planet Terror.

I concur with the comments about Kurt being cool & oh yes he certainly looks to have a tailor made part in Death Proof - the line in the trailer is a classic:

"they call this car Death Proof .... but to get the full benefit, you really need to be sitting where I am" ... CLASSIC ! :cool:

I am still undecided over buying the SD versions, if HD versions are looming, but equally could buy on SD DVD for the price of 2 cinema tickets :)

Doctor Smith

I watched the SD DVD last night and apart from the lap dance the extra scenes were very boring. The film was nearly 2 hours but it seemed like 3. The grindhouse version was just right at 90 mins.

My advice skip Deathproof and get planet terror or just wait for Grindhouse double bill

Death proof 90 mins of boring chat and 25 mins of brilliance

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
hmmm it is pretty disappointing that Death Proof seams to have been a missed opportunity.

I do wanna see it though .. just for the Kurt one liners :cool:

Planant Terror sounds like it will be fantastic, so I am REALLY looking forward to that :smashin:

mickey101

WHAT!!!?!? I loved Death Proof, ok there's lots of talking, but there's nothing wrong with that. I love the way it builds up to the 2 action segments (the flying dismembered leg is awesome!) and by the end of the film I was grinning uncontrollably (Zoe Bell jumping out the bushes shouting "I'm ok" was hilarious!) Also the soundtrack is utterly excellent, especially the inclusion of Hold Tight by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Titch.

I haven't seen Planet Terror yet but if it's half as good as Death Proof I'll be a happy bunny.

enablerbro1

I started to watch Grindhouse and got bored within about 10 minutes. I've never really been into this "style" of movie and Planet Terror just wasn't clever enough to hook me in. Didn't even bother trying to watch Death Proof.

Watched some Howard Stern recently where Eli Roth was talking about wanting to make a movie of just mock trailers, "Trailer Trash". Don't know if it was just him thinking aloud or it was something he genuinely intends to do.

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
Taken the plunge and ordered the standard-def dvd !

Couldn't resist any longer :)

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
Well I finally saw the movie last night and was left with mixed feelings.

I must agree that the scenes with the girls talking about general stuff was just plain padding to me and did nothing for the movie at all.

HOWEVER ...

Every single scene that Kurt Russel was in was exceptional & the guy really made Stuntman Mike his own :cool:

The acting & dialogue from Kurt was spot on and hailed back to his characters in The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China and of course Escape from New York.

Greg Nicotero did the sfx and it showed - when called upon they were excellent and the camerwork during some of the films more "graphic" scenes was also really well done and for this I do give Tarentino credit.

Anyway back to the movie.

Although I felt the girl development scenes were over-long, the Kurt scenes more than made up for these and made for a thoroughly enjoyable movie.

In terms of the dvd, it is a good package (although no commentry ?) but some of the making of's and behind the scenes gave you a great insight into the movie and the actors, which I felt added to the film - I watched the extras first !

In summary, it may not be perfect ... but its one of the better films in this genre of late ... whether it will stand the test of time and be a classic ... only time will tell.

Anyone who likes Tarentino, Kurt Russell or Rodriguez type films should see this movie as I think you will enjoy it :smashin:

I have now also heard there may not be a HD release of this movie, due to the films limited success :thumbsdow

Best line in the film ...

"Hey lady, this car is 100& Death Proof, but to get the full benefit, you REALLY need to be sitting where I am" :cool:

epicdream

I completely agree with you Glenn, I saw it all as the 'Grindhouse' package when I was in the States, loved Planet Terror, completely over the top greatness. Death Proof, really disappoining.
It had a great start and a great finish (thanks to the wonderful Kurt Russell!) but padded out with 'I can do it because I am Tarantino' boring dialogue nonsense.
It's hard to think that the DVD/ UK cinema release is longer! (because it was separated from Planet Terror).

I think they should have kept both films together as one package, especially because you get the brilliant trailers inbetween...

I'll wait for the uber deluxe edition (if it ever comes out...)

I completely agree with you Glenn, I saw it all as the 'Grindhouse' package when I was in the States, loved Planet Terror, completely over the top greatness. Death Proof, really disappoining.
It had a great start and a great finish (thanks to the wonderful Kurt Russell!) but padded out with 'I can do it because I am Tarantino' boring dialogue nonsense.
It's hard to think that the DVD/ UK cinema release is longer! (because it was separated from Planet Terror).

I think they should have kept both films together as one package, especially because you get the brilliant trailers inbetween...

I'll wait for the uber deluxe edition (if it ever comes out...)
they are trying to re coup the money that they have lost by releasing it as 2 separate films i saw deathproof the other night and had been looking forward to it for months , all i can say is it was utter ***** , what has happened to tarantino, this aint no pulp fiction or res dogs , i know its supposed to be like a cheap 70s flik , but he has made an exspensive mordern day flop, with the intention of making it look bad , but it is really bad.

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
It is one of those films you are not sure how much you enjoyed it at the time ... but on reflection a day or two later, you find yourself liking it more ?

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom