Death Proof Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Cas Harlow, 30th December 2008
Deathproof is easily the better of the two Grindhouse flicks (which were a bad idea in the first play), playing to Tarantino’s edge of sharp dialogue and strong characters and delivering the closest he has come to a horror-thriller. He very nearly pulls it off as well, creating some great tension particularly in the chase sequences, and the movie certainly has some of his best talk scenes ever. Unfortunately the finale is wholly incongruous with the rest of the story and almost ruins it, certainly leaving you feeling confused if not totally unsatisfied. On Blu-ray the movie looks tremendous (well, the second half does, the first half is still intentionally cheap-looking) and sounds pretty damn good as well, the chosen songs really bringing the movie to life. Extras-wise the disc is packed to the brim, the only thing missing being the hilarious fake trailers that were done as part of the Grindhouse double-bill effect (and perhaps a commentary) and if you liked the movie then it is definitely worth picking up. If you’re a Tarantino fan then it is probably worth having, despite being something of a flawed classic, but newcomers should consider a rental first to see if it hits the right spot.
Read the full review...

eiren

Distinguished Member
I couldn't disagree with this review more. Death Proof was easily the worst thing about the Grindhouse project. Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright's DON'T trailer, and Eli Roth's Thanksgiving Day trailer are missing from this Blu-ray, and should have been included. Shame as they were both fantastic. Grindhouse should have been released as a whole (as in the cinema in the USA), not in incomplete pieces. I feel cheated yet again.

Certain things really annoyed me when I saw Death Proof. Being a huge fan of Grindhouse and obscure horror myself... surely the biggest mistake Tarantino made was making it 'clever' dialogue heavy. Anyone that's ever seen a Grindhouse film will tell you the acting and scripts are the weakest points from those films. There were never any moments of sitting around having witty banter about pop culture.

Rodriguez got it spot on with Planet Terror... totally OTT acting, OTT script, plenty of sleaze, and buckets of gore :thumbsup: ... that is Grindhouse.

epicdream

I couldn't disagree with this review more. Death Proof was easily the worst thing about the Grindhouse project. Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright's DON'T trailer, and Eli Roth's Thanksgiving Day trailer are missing from this Blu-ray, and should have been included. Shame as they were both fantastic. Grindhouse should have been released as a whole (as in the cinema in the USA), not in incomplete pieces. I feel cheated yet again.

Certain things really annoyed me when I saw Death Proof. Being a huge fan of Grindhouse and obscure horror myself... surely the biggest mistake Tarantino made was making it 'clever' dialogue heavy. Anyone that's ever seen a Grindhouse film will tell you the acting and scripts are the weakest points from those films. There were never any moments of sitting around having witty banter about pop culture.

Rodriguez got it spot on with Planet Terror... totally OTT acting, OTT script, plenty of sleaze, and buckets of gore :thumbsup: ... that is Grindhouse.

I couldn't agree more with you, Death Proof was 90% boring, pointless cruddy "look at me trying to talk like Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction" dialogue with a cool (but overlong) car chase and Kurt Russell (in top form).

5 out of 10 no more than that.

jasper_mccrea

Agree mostly with the other comments. Death Proof has a great title, a great car, a great Kurt Russell, and the most abysmal script (Tarantino's Tarantino-esque dialogue is clunky, unnatural, and dull) and acting ever committed to celluloid. The final car chase made me want to eat my own face out of boredom.

Planet Terror was exciting and fun.

And the Machete trailer was ace.

LanceR

Distinguished Member
Agree mostly with the other comments. Death Proof has a great title, a great car, a great Kurt Russell, and the most abysmal script (Tarantino's Tarantino-esque dialogue is clunky, unnatural, and dull) and acting ever committed to celluloid. The final car chase made me want to eat my own face out of boredom.

Planet Terror was exciting and fun.

And the Machete trailer was ace.

But wasn't that the point? grindhouse dialogue is clunky as hell anyway.

I enjoyed it a lot although i can see why people get completely bored with the dialogue.

FlukeUK

Standard Member
Hi I'm a massive Tarantino fan but found Death Proof 90% so boring it was mostly unwatchable. However I do accept that the last 10% is one of the most entertaining car chase scenes I've ever seen. For me the finale still does not save what is overall a very poor movie.

Although I like a lot of RR's movies I had little expectations for Planet Terror but this film blu (sic) me away! It's so ridiculous it's brilliant.

Must check out some Planet Terror BD reviews.

Fluke

Last edited by a moderator:

PAUL7331

Will they ever release Grindhouse on BLU-RAY?

IGC

Watched this today must have been almost a decade since I'd seen it.

US disc looks amazing still. I had to rewatch it after seeing Tarantino on Joe Rogan

Kurt Russell is just so perfect in this I can't wait for The Thing UHD.

I noticed one thing I didn't notice at the cinema or previously on Blu-ray and that's they've digitally (or optically) altered the red crosses in the hospital scenes with Michael Parks. Looks quite good apart from a few seconds.

Using the Red Cross is forbidden in most cases under the Geneva Convention.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom