1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death Jr.

Discussion in 'PS Vita Forum' started by Pipod, Aug 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Pipod

Pipod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, has anyone played this game yet, it looks pretty cool, in a similar vein of Psychonauts, which was a cool game as well. I like the characters and the story, but how is the gameplay? I'm thinking of getting it, but I'd like some opinions before I run down to the store to play it.

As a little side note, I found this flash game where you get to chuck explosding hampsters, which is always fun, and immesely addictive. Give it a try! http://www.deathjr.com/c4hamstergame/

2. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I've heard it's very average. The gaming press seems to agree.

3. Pipod

Pipod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I read the IGN review which ripped on it oretty hard, but the interesting thing was that the reader review was 2 points higher than the critic review, so that's something to take into consideration.

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    Yeah but purchasers of the game may just want to justify their outlay

5. Pipod

Pipod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    true, but I don't think it was meant to be earth shattering, it was one of the first games released on the psp. I think it was supposed to be a fun way to bide your time and wait for the really impressive games. But i think the critics were expecting more. there was no way it was going to be the next mario or anything...

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    yeah but complaints about camera and controls are valid. Gamerankings says its got an av of 63% so....

7. Pipod

Pipod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    definitely valid, but there are almost always camera difficulties with platforms. as for controls, no excuse there, but i haven't played it yet, so it may just be down to personal preference...

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    I was interested, and am willing to give anything a chance. But 16 sites all give the same faults so.....

9. Tracy Whitelaw

Tracy Whitelaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    I own Death Jr and I'm really enjoying it. I know reviews have not been favourable but I think they've been reasonably unfair. Yes the camera is a bit of a dog but the overall fun factor is there, it's a 3d platform title, it's not Halo 2.
    I'm writing a review on it at the moment also and I'm probably going to give it a 7 out of 10, I want to finish it first.

As with all games personal preference obviously comes into it, if you like simplistic 3d platformers then Death Jr isn't too shabby and there's not much else in this genre on PSP at present. I've got Ape Escape also and I've played Death Jr a LOT more. The game I'm playing the most though is hot Shots Golf, which I highly rate.

Hope that helps.
    I'm happy to answer any questions for you.
    Tracy

10. Pipod

Pipod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome, yeah that helps a lot, I think it's worth it, it seems like it could be a solid game to have in a collection. I'm convinced, I'm going for it, thanks guys!

11. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    where does Halo 2 comparison come into it? jeez where above does anyone state they're expecting this action/platformer to play like a FPS?

12. Pipod

Pipod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah you know, fps' play exactly like platformers right? Aaaaanyways, I've been going around to a few forums and it got pretty good user reviews all around. I've come to the conclusion that IGN and Gamereveiws were way to harsh on the game.