Dear John

meltonboy

I wonder if this will stand the test of time ?

I certainly loved it when it was on TV. Who can forget the moment when the outgoing / elivs suit wearing "dazzling darren dring", was revealed to live withhis mum and really wear a tank top ? Priceless,

And why was the dvd delayed for so long ? Maybe it was there were "sexual problems" :)

Dellboy

I wonder if this will stand the test of time ?

I certainly loved it when it was on TV. Who can forget the moment when the outgoing / elivs suit wearing "dazzling darren dring", was revealed to live withhis mum and really wear a tank top ? Priceless,

And why was the dvd delayed for so long ? Maybe it was there were "sexual problems" :)
Or perhaps there were some copywrite payment to be made to Ricky Fortune and the Fortunates. :D

Garrett

For those of you that are fans of this much under rated BBC sitcom at long last:
Agreed one of the most under rated sitcoms, to think up to then Ralph Bates had been playing villain’s role and then came this ever so slightly wet character and I think was the best role he ever played. Who ever cast him against type wants a medal. Remember him in Poldark as the nasty Warleggan? He was only 51 when he died, this series was one of his last roles.

I hope the bring my other under rated comedy sitcoms, I Didn’t Know You Cared.

redwing

I still remember crying with laughter at the scene at a party where the lady broke wind and they was trying to show the flash one Kirk i think a bit of Etiquete when he said "have that one on me Mrs..."

I prob mucked that up but anyone who saw it would remember. Nice spot OP
:D

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
damn, its not out till June :(

was thinking it would make a great Mums day pressie....oh well...back to the drawing board....heh

Sonic67

Banned
I still remember crying with laughter at the scene at a party where the lady broke wind and they was trying to show the flash one Kirk i think a bit of Etiquete when he said "have that one on me Mrs..."

I remember that. It was Kirk St Moritz.:rotfl:

Also when John electrocuted the terrapins by dropping his shaver in Ralph's tank.

Ralphs disco. He only had one record, "Green Door" by Shakin Stephens. Boogaloo!

Dellboy

Its been bugging me all afternoon (how sad is that) 'Mrs Boyd Peters'. I have a colleague at work who is also a fan and we have been reliving some of our fav moments.

IMHO I don't think the humour will have dated. The fashions and haircuts may have and lets not forget Mrs Arnots hat.

Sonic67

Banned
How about John's polish landlady Mrs Leminski? He rushed out to answer the payphone in the corridor and had thrown his trousers on that he'd been ironing. He was dancing around with the heat and Mrs Leminsky was calling him a silly man for not taking them off when he'd ironed them. John didn't bother explaining.

Dellboy

Does anyone have any idea why there's been a delay for the release of this series?

Is it that play have got this completely wrong?

I do hope not.

Dellboy

Appears that the delay is due to some legalities and the release date is sometime in September according to a reviewer on the Play web site.

I wonder if the delay is due to any 'sexual problems'?:devil:

Dellboy

Although we've had many false dawns this looks to be true as the BBC has the dvd up for pre order on their web site:

Dear John Series 1 (DVD) at BBC Shop

the only difference is the release date which they have as 12/04/2010.

Lets hope Series 2 and the Christmas special are not far behind.

Time to play hoopla with ring doughnuts. :clap::clap:

Sonic67

Banned

TonyA

I hope the bring my other under rated comedy sitcoms, I Didn’t Know You Cared.
Oh wow, there's another blast from the past! My mum got a canary, and I named it: Stavely! LOL!

"I heard that... pardon?"

TonyA

It does make you wonder when there is a rich vein of vintage comedy like Dear John, I Didn't Know You Cared etc... that have never really been repeated, that the TV channels show things like Porridge and Only Fools And Horses in almost a continuous repeat loop.

Why don't they give shows like these a fighting chance and introduce them to a new audience?

brian s

Distinguished Member
The first series is out now. Has anyone bought it and if so is it as good as you remembered it?

Bri

Dellboy

I watched the first 3 episodes over the weekend. For me the only thing that has aged is the fashions.

There are still many laugh out load moments.

Come on BBC hurry up with the release of Series 2 and the Christmas special.

Sonic67

Banned
Ordered.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett