Dear God, too much choice

kingsize

Panasonic plasma 65”, sky q 2tb, PS4, ps5, x box one, switch, Apple TV HD - all run through Sony amp STR DN 1050

Just bought ps5, will buy Xbox x before end of year.

Thinking of going 4K and looking for general advice.

Was considering oled, but genuinely concerned about screen burn. Having originally shepherded My plasma though the first 200 hours or so to minimise risk, years of CNN have left a faint pattern in the corner. To be fair i only notice it when I notice it if you know what I mean and it doesn’t interfere with viewing/gaming.

Was always predisposed against LED as plasma was superior in the day, but it seems that LED and it’s variants have certainly closed the gap?

would perhaps like a size bump as well, maybe to 75/77

I have a bright room, but can pull curtains if gaming etc, and generally I’d I’m sitting down to watch a movie I will close the curtains.

I’m sitting about 10 feet away.

Dont really know how much 4K I would actually watch, as opposed to game - likely the football, F1, boxing and then Netflix and Prime.

Most of my tv from Plex - don’t know if it can stream 4k

Everything runs through the amp, and runs well. Happy with the sound..But the amp is not hdcp 2.2 complaint? Will it have to be replaced?

Is there a decent good 75 inch tv that would not be a step down from my Panasonic plasma which still works very well…

As an aside I’ve seen a LG oled BX for 1200 in Currys which is only 65 inch but was thinking of getting it as a trial tv given the price.

Or should I man up and bite the bullet and just get my next 5 year tv - budget of around 2k.

Can anyone give me the kick up the ar*e I need to make a decision.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
If you barely got screen burn on a plasma you'll have zero issues with a modern oled.

kingsize

Really? Many reviews preach careful use even theses days - perhaps I have some residual plasma paranoia

vickster

Distinguished Member
Thanks, but it doesn’t have the VFR for the 4K consoles sadly
What does? As you say there’s too much choice? What’s On your shortlist?
There’s a thread on next gen gaming TVs

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Really? Many reviews preach careful use even theses days - perhaps I have some residual plasma paranoia
Treat it the same as you did with your plasma, maybe minus excessive news watching and you'll be sweet

Dodgexander

Plasma the risk was the same content in single sessions for a large period of time.
With OLED the risk is cumulative, but in essence the outcome is usually the same.

It can mean if you watch a lot of the same content with static logos or huds it can be a problem with OLED in the long term, and it wouldn't be on Plasma unless you watched that content for long periods in single sessions.

So the same is mostly true, people who understand what causes burn in and don't use a lot of content with static elements on a regular basis will be ok. Whereas people who often display high risk content will be at risk now, like they were then.

Its all about how you use the TV.

kingsize

Plasma the risk was the same content in single sessions for a large period of time.
With OLED the risk is cumulative, but in essence the outcome is usually the same.

It can mean if you watch a lot of the same content with static logos or huds it can be a problem with OLED in the long term, and it wouldn't be on Plasma unless you watched that content for long periods in single sessions.

So the same is mostly true, people who understand what causes burn in and don't use a lot of content with static elements on a regular basis will be ok. Whereas people who often display high risk content will be at risk now, like they were then.

Its all about how you use the TV.
Thanks for that.

I was sort of hoping to get beyond having to worry about logos etc; and watching a lot of news and the like, I didn’t want to have to worry about the cumulative effect - I got used to zooming picture etc, but honestly have wearied of that concern.

Realistically, will a good HDR led with qled/qne/nanocell/Neo qled or the like come up to the quality of my (in the day and still) very good plasma screen?

I can’t be bothered with banding, or blurring - I would just like a 4K screen at 70+ inches that I can set up and forget, much like I eventually did with my Panny. Where I can watch the football without motion blur, and movies without judder.

are the modern screens better? It’s so hard to tell in the shops.

or am I so out of touch that plasma has been long surpassed?

Dodgexander

Well LCD tech has improved, but its still the same tech now as it was back when you bought your Plasma.

However it does offer advantages over OLED. You don't have to think about how you use the TV. They can get brighter to be more striking when used with HDR and whilst LCD TVs have more motion blur, they tend to stutter less with low frame rate content like OLEDs do. At larger screen sizes OLEDs are very, very expensive too, which makes LCD TVs a more attractive prospect.

Don't fall for the marketting btw, Neo, QNED, QLED, Nanocel etc is all drivel, means nothing in actual practice. They are all LCD TVs.

You can also buy OLEDs with insurance from John Lewis that covers burn in (extra money).

Best buys are here: New My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

You'll want to hurry trying to buy a 2020 model before they sell out, since 2021 models are too expensive to currently recommend. I'd suggest to start your shopping come black friday or later if you have set your eyes on a 2021 model.

kingsize

Thanks. Your guide is both comprehensive and very helpful.

Is oled appreciably ‘better’ to look at than led?

and for it all to work together am I looking at a new 2.2 compliant amp as well?

looks like a lot of money for perhaps some relatively marginal gains

Dodgexander

Is oled appreciably ‘better’ to look at than led?
Yes, but its money vs picture quality vs size. If you can fit a 75" then its going to be a lot cheaper than a 77" OLED. At 65" and 55" the difference in price is smaller.
and for it all to work together am I looking at a new 2.2 compliant amp as well?
Not neccesarily, depends on your sources and how you plug them in.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom