Dear Amazon Shopper...

encaser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked my spam box whilst awaiting an Amazon (OTP - more like PIA) One Time Password only to find a scam/phishing email 'Dear Amazon Shopper' that listed a supposed order No. which looked quite genuine. Not only that, the gits used Amazon style colours for a reply box etc.
Why so many of these scammers use Dear always amuses me - perhaps to catch old dears out. Ebay used to be littered with them from Eastern Europe scammers.
It's not hard to imagine shoppers being caught out and clicking links.
Similarly, I received a text the other day claiming to have an order/package awaiting my approval and to respond.
Things are getting ridiculous of late.
Any of you had the email or texts too?

Emails on a daily basis personally.
Phone calls 3 or 4 times a week to my parents stating their prime has been renewed,press 1 or 2 to confirm.
Tiresome,but my father would definitely have fallen for it.

Emails on a daily basis personally.
Phone calls 3 or 4 times a week to my parents stating their prime has been renewed,press 1 or 2 to confirm.
Tiresome,but my father would definitely have fallen for it.
my dad nearly did last year, lucky he called me about it before he was going to respond

The first time it happened to me, I scanned all my bank accounts quickly to see if any money had moved.
Now I just Star the message & hope I don't have to go back to it later.

I tend to miss most spam due to having Google's default spam filters and my own filters in place. Anything that appears to come from Amazon will usually bypass the spam filters and get placed in it's own folder, and when it turns up it sticks out like a sore thumb. There will always be something about it that looks off, and it just doesn't read right. The ones that amuse me are the ones saying I've been signed up for Amazon Prime. This wouldn't happen twice because I actually have an Amazon Prime account tied to the e-mail address they're targeting.

I started using the net in 94, and even back then I was getting spam. Most of them were 419 scams (shady customs official wanting to share millions with you), but there was one that wasn't a scam even though it was. There would be an e-mail from a company or some boiler room brokers who would be touting an oil company as worthy of investment. The company actually existed. The company had also acquired the rights to prospect on a piece of land for oil. The rights and land also existed. People would start buying shares and investing. The scammy part occurred due to the fact that the company knew the amount of oil contained in the land was roughly equivalent to that of a normal back garden. They'd do some prospecting as they had to, but when the results came back they'd be classed as disappointing, and at this point the price starts to drop. People try and sell, but no one's buying, and eventually the company would fold taking the investors money with it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom