1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealers - need your help! Sharp and Samsung LCD displays!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by NeilMcRae, Jan 5, 2003.

1. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    A number of vendors are starting to see the convergence light [at long last], Samsung, Sharp [and to a lesser extent Panasonic, Toshiba and Philips]

I'm looking for a dealer that will let me view and test these models of screen:

Samsung SM211MP LCD/VGA/TV screen
    and SM241MP LCD/VGA/TV screen

And

Sharp LC30HV2E LCD/VGA/TV Screen.

I want to do the following tests:

Nintendo Gamecube -> Component -> Screen
    [I'll supply the GCN as its an NTSC model with progressive scan]

DVD -> Component and S-Video -> Screen
    [I can supply the DVD player but I guess most dealers have atleast one DVD player].

Laptop -> VGA -> Screen
    [I'll supply the laptop].

[I'll also put a write up here if I can find dealers/suppliers that will let me do this].

I do alot of work [hmm play? :)] with videogames, computer programming and video editing]. I'm looking for a screen that can handle all of these activties. The two issues I'm worried about is VGA quality when web browsing etc, and of course image lag with fast moving games and video. Both of these monitors claim 25ms response times, but from what I've seen every vendor uses different measuring techniques for their specification and frankly the specs are meaningless when comparing or selecting.

I'm based in Harrow but this is important so I'm prepared to travel - are there any dealers that can help?

Also if there are other vendors/dealers who have other LCD screens that they think might have a product that fits the bill here are the requrements:

VGA 1024*768 min resolution
    Component video inputs to support 480p and 480i
    [All the consoles I use are NTSC models and I can supply these for testing along with all the right cables].
    Must be 16:9 capable
    Max size 30"

If anyone knows a dealer that might want to help I'd appreciate contact details.

Regards,
    Neil.

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I saw the Sharp screen in PNR and ASK today thanks to both these shops for letting me be a pain in the arse [and then not getting any sale! :D].Very nice, a little dull when compared with the Panny 5 plasmas but when compared to other LCD's the only one in its league were the panny ones.

Unfortunately the 30" model us just too big for my space, the 22 and 28 inch sizes were perfect but no component in. .

So I've had a dealer contact me regarding the Samsung and I'll be heading down their soon, one thing I was alarmed about was the reputation Samsung has with many dealers. I didn't speak to one person that had a good work to say about them. Stock and support issues seem to be the norm with Samsung, which isn't inspiring any confidence.

Regards,
    Neil.