• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dealer washed my car when asked not to!!

Took my new Fiesta ST to Ford today as one of the door seals had come away and needed replacing.

When I dropped the car off I explicitly asked for them not to wash or hoover the car as I'd recently detailed it. The service advisor marked up the work sheet which I signed. He come out to inspect the car and commented how good it looked and how smooth the paintwork was.

Went to pick it up after work and they'd bloody washed it.

I informed the service advisor (the same one who had served me in the morning and marked up the work sheet) that it'd been washed. He told me " I TOLD THEM NOT TO WASH IT!" He then went to get someone else who come out and again informed me they'd took the car off the wash list then shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know what to say.

I agree its a first World problem however when I've spent a good 8 hours getting the car looking how it did followed by spending several hundred pounds on detailing stuff to clean my car properly and asking them not to wash it I'm a little pee'd off!!

I'm supposedly getting a phone call off the service manager tomorrow so we'll see what rubbish he comes out with. I guess its hard for people to grasp if your not in to detailing/cleaning.

IronGiant

Seems like a very common problem. The free "Valet" that you don't want. Same with the customer waiting area with "free coffee pod service". Which I do take advantage of :)

aVdub

Banned
Nearly lost an RS7 matte finish once to a lad with chemical, dirty sponge and jet washer :eek: who'd never heard of micro fibre cloth.

If me I wouldn't ask the garage to redo the detailing tbh and would ask them to bring in a professional

rousetafarian

I took the option of adding an A4 piece of paper with specific hand written instructions not to wash and left it on the dash. Basic I know, but it worked for the best.

kryton85

I had same issue with mine. I've plastidipped all the chrome on one of mine & the chemicals they used screwed it. Ended up having to peel it all off, remove all the trim again & redo it. They tried to compensate me by offering another valet!!!! They really didn't get the issue; idiots. Like you say, definitely a first world problem but still infuriating whatever way you look at it

gibbsy

What's the beef lads, my car has to have it's annual wash, if it's for free all the better.:)

lovegroova

I use the "note inside the car" method, as well as asking them not do do it. It worked last time...

Just had a call from the service manager apparently they've viewed the cctv and they never washed my car apparently.

Not sure how my alloys suddenly got cleaned - and water marks all over the car. Just heading across now to see if they'll show me the CCTV as I'll happily bet my mortgage on it that the car was washed!!

dts_boy

I get what you mean about the washing but I can never be bothered to hoover inside so thats all good.
I have had a few niggles with my Golf GTI (software for Android Auto keeps crashing) and they have washed and hoovered car each time its gone it - I timed it so I didn't need to bother cleaning myself :)

Jules Winfield

I bought myself one of these:

Clean and Shiny Do Not Wash This Vehicle Hanger

Yes, £2.50 for a piece of shiny cardboard. It lives in the glove box and I will no doubt forget to hang it from the rear view mirror when my car goes in for its next service.

Fortunately I've never had my car washed when I've asked for it to be left alone. I can imagine it would be incredibly annoying and frustrating, though.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I took the option of adding an A4 piece of paper with specific hand written instructions not to wash and left it on the dash. Basic I know, but it worked for the best.

I used to do this with my previous 3 series as I'd been using it as a test bed for all my detailing stuff (used on our other cars), so it seemed a shame for them to strip it all off and scrub it with an old yard brush, or whatever it is that they use. They washed it a couple of times when I'd asked them not to before I started using the A4 sheet on the dash top, so it did seem to work.

In the end I gave up as it was only a company car and I just didn't have the time to spare to keep it detailed anyway (or even my own car for that matter). However I can empathise with you about how annoying it is and that you feel like you are moaning about something that others will shrug their shoulders about... my detailed Z3 used to get more scratches on it sat on the drive from the neighbours kids scuffing against it (shared drive) or some other neighbours cat pouncing on the bonnet with it's claws out. When they'd see me out polishing it they'd make stupid remarks about me 'polishing the paint away', so I know that detailing can be seen as slightly odd behaviour by some.

Went to Ford and viewed the CCTV - may of helped that I went in my uniform.

Saw my car come in at 14.30 and go off again - no wash - but I was convinced it'd been washed. Went through another 2 hours of CCTV (speeded up) 16.15 my car comes back in to the yard in to the valet bay and the bloke proceeds to use a large 'yard' type brush to scrub my car using a bucket of water I'd watched him washing 20 cars previously with!

The service manager started making a few excuses that he hadn't looked that far along, shook my hand and has agreed to cover the cost of having it fixed.

Bit of a faff but thought he'd try and get one of their cleaners to 'mop' it but they never offered that to my relief!

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Went to Ford and viewed the CCTV - may of helped that I went in my uniform.

Saw my car come in at 14.30 and go off again - no wash - but I was convinced it'd been washed. Went through another 2 hours of CCTV (speeded up) 16.15 my car comes back in to the yard in to the valet bay and the bloke proceeds to use a large 'yard' type brush to scrub my car using a bucket of water I'd watched him washing 20 cars previously with!

The service manager started making a few excuses that he hadn't looked that far along, shook my hand and has agreed to cover the cost of having it fixed.

Bit of a faff but thought he'd try and get one of their cleaners to 'mop' it but they never offered that to my relief!

Good result.
I bet the uniform certainly helped not having to argue to get it sorted.

Aerojon

most these days don't even work for the dealer they're a 3rd party valet company..

IronGiant

...and if they are paid per vehicle washed it's not surprising if they "don't notice" a non washer :)

IronGiant

In Uniform:

resize

Are you an undertaker :p

Will they agree to a pro doing the job?

I'm a stripogram at the weekend so thought I'd best go get it sorted today!!

The service manager gave the option to me. He said they'd bill the valeters. I said it'd be £100 if I do it myself or £350 to get a pro. I'm not sure if it was because I was stood there in uniform or he genuinely felt embarrassed when he could see my car being scrubbed but said get either done and take the invoice in and he'll get a cheque sorted for the amount.

I'll probably hire a valenting bay (£50 for the day) and use my DAS pro and bill them £100 which will cover my materials etc.

It's beading pretty well in the rain tonight although I've not managed to inspect the paint properly in the sun yet but should imagine it'll need some refining but hopefully nothing major!

aVdub

Banned
I'm a stripogram at the weekend so thought I'd best go get it sorted today!!

The service manager gave the option to me. He said they'd bill the valeters. I said it'd be £100 if I do it myself or £350 to get a pro. I'm not sure if it was because I was stood there in uniform or he genuinely felt embarrassed when he could see my car being scrubbed but said get either done and take the invoice in and he'll get a cheque sorted for the amount.

I'll probably hire a valenting bay (£50 for the day) and use my DAS pro and bill them £100 which will cover my materials etc.

It's beading pretty well in the rain tonight although I've not managed to inspect the paint properly in the sun yet but should imagine it'll need some refining but hopefully nothing major!

Enough time to wash the uniform for the weekends stripogram work :p

I guess if you do yourself you know it will be how you want it and is much better than giving it to an hourly paid, couldn't give a stuff valeter. Nice touch with being in uniform when viewing cctv :p

As long as you cover materials and your time and are happy then that's all that counts.

I'll have to try a Glock and S10 resp next time I visit my dealer :D

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom