1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dealer says my speakers are o.k i think there faulty ,what can i do,advice please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mick23, Aug 21, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i think my speakers are faulty (cdm1nts) they do not convey (the clarity) or sound anywhere near like when demoed with simular kit, phoned dealer to see if they would bring there demo pair to my home so i could compare (side by side) mine and demo pair, if they sounded alike , i could then put difference re demo and home to (room -accoustics etc) all i can get out of dealer is you have heard and liked them in 2 different dealer demos and were happy, my reply i think my speaker faulty, anyway dealer came out and checked system over (we agreed if i had incorrect connections etc) i would be charged fair enough, dealer did not bring demo pair, where are they i asked (at another location was reply) after about 1/2 hour he tells me nothing wrong with speakers there ok ,well replay is poor on sky radio,mini disk,etc oh sound is compressed ,you need a really good source to get best out of cdm1nts, so play eagles (hotel california as at demo) thats ok says dealer, i think replay is poor, so where does this leave me legally, i think my speakers are not as they should be dealer says nothing wrong, will make you up some cables to try at home (same as demo and a demo top quality cd to try) help please

2. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,500
    Have you tried taking your speakers into your Dealer ?

If you take your speakers in to them to test, everything will be exactly as you first demo'd them, kit, surroundings, cables etc.

Undoubtedly speakers will sound very different at home compared to how you demo'd them in the shop.

Unless the speakers are actually faulty, then the dealer is not obliged to refund them to you, legally speaking. However i am sure they will help you all they can.

What i would do :- Speak to your dealer, and be civil, it does not pay to be aggressive or annoying, and ask if you can take your speakers in to them, to make comparisons with the original kit, and then take it from there.

Let us know how you get on!

Kev

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    re taking speakers back to dealer,(i have no transport) did ask about taking speakers back prior to asking dealer to call ,they were a bit evasive on this issue, because i have phoned them and called in asking differance (demo re home sound quality) i have been civil with them, but still they seem reluctant about side byside demo,(might be differant attitude if speakers were £200 rather than £750) although they are still under warrenty, thanks

4. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mick23

How long have you had the speakers? Are they run in correctly, then can take a long time on some speakers, I am not familure with yours. My Castles took a week on non-stop playing to get to anywhere near the demo set. After a month of noraml use they sung like angels and they still do.

I you may have covered this but I thought it was worth mentioning.

5. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i would suggest that if you are unhappy with the sound, you change to maybe something different. i did this with my dealer and they were happy to allow me to switch until i found a sound that i liked, after all, they will still get some money from you!

6. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a pair of CDM1NT's also and it took a long time to run them in, something to do with the metal dome tweeter apparently, everytime I was out of the house I put a CD on repeat and changed the volume level each time as well to make sure they got a full workout.

Are they run in? Also what is the difference between the components tried in the shop and your own at home? If they had an excellent source and amp and yours are not the same quality maybe you heard the demo CD/Amp dragging up more detail?

Steve

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    i have the centre and surrounds to match the 1NT's, and they needed a while to be run in. And then i discovered that i wasn't getting the best out them, install a rotel power amp, and wow the difference. Detail and dynamics are 100% better. Even when watching simple dolby surround material.

If you're gonna use £750 front speakers, just make sure you have the source and amplification to match, and not a £100 Cd player and £300 amp. Otherwise you are not going to get the best out of them.

8. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sending speakers back to b&w, service dept they are going to check them out,to make sure everything is ok, i am now using arcam a85, nad 540 cdplayer,qed cable,mono wired qed interconnect,(same as demo apart from speaker cable,which was van der hull ,(clearwater i think)

9. Bapapapa

Bapapapa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sending speakers back to b&w,

Hope they deal with your problem quicker than they dealt with mine. Was without my pre/pro for a month while they farted about.. :rolleyes: