1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealer or Internet???!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Xstyle, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I was going to order EVERYTHING off the net, and get the best prices...
    i.e.
    435XDE, 868avi-s, ax5i-s, Artcoustic speakers etc etc...

or is it better to get everything from a local dealer and get them to install it... with peace of mind that they are around the corner if it all needs tweaking?

If I get all equipment off the net, then I would need to get somebody to install it...
    I DO know someone who I work with... and would still get quotes from other people.

Dealers won't install items not bought from them...
    But the problem to get it all off the dealer, then to get items at the same price as the net, I'd have to buy it all at the same time ...whereas on the net I can buy as and when I have the money.

Confused aint the word!!??

Please advise....

2. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i Think given the value of the equipement that your buying i would be tempted to buy from a dealer not just for the installation but also for ongoing support. This quite some system as the artcoustic speakers are very expensive!!!

3. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends whether or not you have a local dealer you can trust. It's pointless buying from a local store for the after sales service if their customer service is very poor. You would however, be easier to return it to the shop if it is faulty.

I plan to buy my equipment from Joe Fernand even though he is a 90 minute drive away. I would feel confident that what he was telling me is correct and I know his customer service is very good. He also offers very competitive prices.

If you do buy your equipment from the Internet I would make sure it is from somewhere that still provides good customer service like AV-Sales.

4. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I have just cancelled my plasma from Home Cinema Heaven, and bought it off Future Home ... the cheapest I have seen it!!!! anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They are a proper Pioneer "works dealer" too.

So far I trust their advice and their customer service seems up to scratch.

I am still thinking of the rest of the kit.... whether from them (which seems likely) or from the net... (not sure if I can afford it all right now!!!)

5. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You have to strike a balance with these things. In a perfect world you would buy from a local retailer who would be knowledgeabe with a good selection and good customer service. In the real world, this can be difficult.

To give you an example, when I wished to purchase a plasma I found it difficult to see a large variety of screens in the same place. Some screens I was never able to demo at all because I could find nowhere locally who stocked them (panny phd6). In order to demo the Sony MRX1 LCD and Plasma screens I had to make a one off trip to London which cost me a few hundred pounds.

Most of the places and people that forumites would recommend are not exactly accessible for me. With the best will in the world for example, AV Sales or Joe Fernand (who would be excellent choices to deal with) are not exactly easy to get to if you live in Wales.

The local places to purchase are the usual suspects (Currys Comets Dixons Powerhouse etc) and as everyone here will appreciate, they are not ideal to demo screens. We do have a Sevenoaks that had a pio 434 on demo but only a fujitsu to compare it against and that with different feeds.

I never found a local firm that could let me compare the 434 against the panny 6 SD, let alone HD. It's difficult to judge screens against each other when you can only see them days apart with different feeds etc.

Having said that, even if I had a local firm with such facilities, it is difficult to justify the differences that some retailers charge. You only have to look at the difference in price between some of the screens favoured here if bought online or in a retail store.

As an extreme example,when I was looking at the Sony 42LCD the price I was quoted in store was £7,999. On-line it was £5,689. You have to have very good advice to justify spending that extra.

I found buying a plasma incredibly difficult. Perhaps I made hard work of it but I never found it an enjoyable experience.