1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealer demo recommendation

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by KWB, Sep 15, 2004.

1. KWB

KWB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of purchasing my first projector and I have had demonstrations at several dealers in recent weeks.

Today I had a demo of the following projectors at NexNix\Shoot and show (advertise on this forum):

Hitachi PJ-TX100
    Sony HS20
    Sharp XV-Z200
    Toshiba MT500

I would like to recommend this dealer to others in the same situation as myself. The assistant (Matt) was very helpful and gave unbiased but genuine advice. I was able to view all the projectors without any problems and was pleased to see the availability of two different size screens for demo purposes. This was very useful and I chose to demo the projectors on the smaller screen (approx 6ft), as this is my intended screen size.

Although I did not make a purchase today as I would like to demo the AE700 before committing to a purchase I will definitely consider this dealer when I have made my decision.

Once again many thanks to Matt at NexNix

2. andhoey

andhoey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats your opinion on the pj's ? fan noise ,picture,screen door and vb :hiya:

3. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Kirk Bradshaw,

I'd just like to say a big thank you to you for booking a demonstration and then not bothering to turn up or even phoning to cancel.

:mad: :rtfm:

4. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm a friend of Kirk's and went along with him to the demo's. First of all apologises to RTFM for not making it to the booked demo. Kirk had arranged three demos for the day which in hindsight was a bit ambitious given how far we had to travel. The first demo (Midlands dealer) started late. The shop wasn't even open when we arrived. As we left the first dealer we realised that we couldn't make both demos . We decided to go to NexNix because they had 4 of the projectors Kirk was interested in. Kirk didn't have RTFM's contact details with him so we couldn't ring to cancel.

On the day we managed to see 5 projectors in total
    DLP:
    Screenplay 4805
    Toshiba MT500
    Sharp XV-Z200

LCD:
    Hitachi PJ-TX100
    Sony HS20
    We have also both previously seen a Sanyo Z2.

I currently have an aging crt projector and was interested in how they compared. In general terms we both liked preferred the picture quality of the DLP's to the LCD projectors. BUT we both saw rainbows on ALL three DLPs.

Screenplay 4805
    Very impressive watching the opening scene from Gladiator. Lots of detail in the dark bits. Fire balls looked great, very bright almost bursting out of the screen. Screendoor was visible on stationary bright areas but we were sitting fairly close to a large screen. It wouldn’t have put me off buying it although the rainbows would. After a while I didn’t want to watch it due to eye strain. Hard to explain but not pleasant.

Toshiba MT500
    Disappointing after the 4805. Colours looked a bit flat and washed out. It may have been possible to improve it with a bit of tweaking but the quantity of rainbows seen by both of us didn’t make it worth continuing with.

Sharp XV-Z200
    I know this wasn’t a fair comparison. We just wanted to see if a more expensive DLP would get around the rainbow problem. We were both very impressed with the picture quality. I felt that it easily justified the higher price. I was just working out how to get enough money together to buy one when the rainbows started appearing. Nothing like as bad as the Screenplay and I didn’t feel any eye strain. I may have been able to live with it but a lot of money to take a gamble on.

Hitachi PJ-TX100
    Screen door wasn’t as bad as I was expected after reading posts here. Hard to compare against the Sanyo because of the big differences in setup. But there didn’t appear to be a large difference although the Hitachi’s colours did seem better/more accurate. I did see VB on both projectors (Kirk didn’t). It didn’t bother me that much although I get the impression that this is a bit of a slow burn thing with most people? The biggest disappointment for me was the lack of detail in dark scenes compared to the DLPs.

Sony HS20
    We both felt that this was the best LCD projector. Just not sure if it was worth the extra money. We didn’t see any screen door with the same screen/seating position as the Screenplay

Conclusion:
    Surprisingly we didn’t have any disagreements when comparing different aspects/ rating of the projectors. If I had not seen rainbows I would have taken the 4805 over any of the LCDs.
    Not surprisingly Kirk decided to wait until he has seen the AE-700 before buying. I’m sticking with my crt projector until LCD can give a picture comparable to the DLPs or I find a DLP which I can’t see rainbows on.

Disclaimer:
    I’m not an expert. We didn’t play with lamp modes or any other setting just watched them as they were presented. Not all of the projectors were viewed under the same conditions (screen size/ seating position).

Thanks again to Matt at NexNix for the pressure free demo.