Deaf user needs help.

russhoh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I am recently deafened and my TV - Sony KDL32D3000 - speakers no longer provide clarity for me.

I feel that a full surround sound speaker system will be of little use as I only need a little extra volume/clarity to accompany the subtitles and would not be able to access all the benefits a 5.1 or 7.1 system provides to the hearing.

Also, I have a PS3 blu-ray and upscaling DVD player - so do not need to spend extra on yet another upscaling dvd player as part of the home cinema package... sony stylee!

I am looking for speaker enhancement really - something that plugs directly into the TV.

I was interested in the Bose Cinemate as it seemd ideal but is is too expensive. Also the Logic3 soundbar is too massive!

Please could anyone advise a suitable system that might plug into my TV to enhance the volume - maybe future proof when I change tv's?

Really appricate any suggestion. looking to spend up to £300.

Best Regards,
Russ in UK.:lease:

As above :thumbsup: but the 2.1 setup would be better over the soundbar both are good but friend i no sold his Yam soundbar over a 5.1 setup due to better sound and He is Half Def, Odd i no But who am i to tell him He is happy every Credit:thumbsup:

That 2.1 setup is a good for the money :smashin:..

Hello and welcome to the forums, Russ. :)

Sorry to hear about your loss of hearing. :(

If first you want to try cheapers alternatives I'd suggest you go and test some desktop speakers at your local Currys/Dixons/PC World...

The following is one of your numerous options:
Altec-Lansing VS4221 Multimedia speakers inc. remote control

You can also view some of the systems available on the market and their prices at Dabs.com (some of them have customers' reviews).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys!

I'm still in need of guidance though please...

A lot of systems state 3HDMI in - 1 out etc... but my dvd, ps3 and virgin box all enter the tv through separate HDMI's - and have different picture settings per HDMI-in channel on the tv. A 1 for all would reduce picture exactness / different settings for different these media.

Can anyone suggest a speaker system that simply plugs directly into/output from the television? I only need to beef up the output from my tv.

All I seem to be able to find are naff pc desktop speakers.

I would really appreciate specific suggestions.

Thank again,
Russ.:thumbsup:

me again -

Would I be able to plug the output from my TV (KDL32D3000) directly into the Sony HT-FS1 thereby leaving my ps3/cable box and ps3 inputs separate into the TV?

Cheers,
russ.

p.s. this confuses the heck out of me --- if I can help anyone with their motorbike problems....

What about THIS? The Acoustic Energy Aego M is well regarded and might well fit your needs. It would require an analogue RCA connection between your TV and the sub/control unit.

PS. If you don't use HDMI for audio and video, you can connect the video direct to TV using HDMI (and keep your calibration settings) and use a separate audio cable for the sound only via the amp. To this end, the Sony you mentioned above should suit fine.

Dear all,

I am recently deafened and my TV - Sony KDL32D3000 - speakers no longer provide clarity for me.

I feel that a full surround sound speaker system will be of little use as I only need a little extra volume/clarity to accompany the subtitles and would not be able to access all the benefits a 5.1 or 7.1 system provides to the hearing.

Also, I have a PS3 blu-ray and upscaling DVD player - so do not need to spend extra on yet another upscaling dvd player as part of the home cinema package... sony stylee!

I am looking for speaker enhancement really - something that plugs directly into the TV.

I was interested in the Bose Cinemate as it seemd ideal but is is too expensive. Also the Logic3 soundbar is too massive!

Please could anyone advise a suitable system that might plug into my TV to enhance the volume - maybe future proof when I change tv's?

Really appricate any suggestion. looking to spend up to £300.

Best Regards,
Russ in UK.:lease:

Welcome and sorry for your loss of hearing,

I have many friends who are deaf from birth or a profoundly deaf, the best thing I would suggest is invest in a good set of headphones, sennheiser do an excellent range. or you could get some 5.1 headphones.

these will set you back max £200 for some excellent headphones.

all my friends are happy to use headphones and find it very rewarding.

all the best.

Sorry, russhoh, I have no specific model to suggest, not having personally tested that kind of speakers.

Why don't you go to your local PC shop?
You'd be surprised how good and loud some desktop speaker packages are. ;)

Could I suggest you see if you are able to add a 31 band EQ into your system.........

you could then ue that to create an eq curve that pushes the vocal content more than usual,and removes low and high frequencies that you dont require. This makes the speaker more efficient in the area you do require and will bring clarity into your system. This is more a specific use for an EQ curve than the usual use.

If you are looking for speakers then something with a 6inch (ish) mid would be good.

I am of the understanding that you are hearing impaired rather than total deaf, and that you find is difficult to hear vocal content, it might appear muffled for instance.

Hope that is of some help to you.

A stereo 15 band eq would also do an excellent job, 31 band is best.

These usually wire between pre and power amp.

It is possible to wire the eq from the audio out of the TV and prior to any powered speaker system.

not sure about this BUT if you are able to get a hearing test that can tell you what frequencies you hear and at wat levels then an EQ could be used to even out your hearing.

Take care,

Andy.

I'm still in need of guidance though please...

All I seem to be able to find are naff pc desktop speakers.
I am deaf also and use Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers 200W RMS

I also can recommend the Sennheiser HD 595 Headphones "awesome" but they are open and therefore let noise in&out also get the low 50 Ohm impedance version then you can use them with portable music player's as they take less to drive than the 150 Ohm ones

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
hi,

the bose companion3 isnt bad, i have one on my media centre in my conservatory, does a reasonable job of 2.1 very small satalites, plus only £199

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom