Deadly Decades - When was horror's peak? - AVF Movies Podcast Discussion Thread

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Spook day to you all ghosts and ghouls and fangs for stopping by the AVF-MPD!

Okay that's enough of that.

The next Movies Podcast hosted by me, @Tom Davies, with @Casimir Harlow and @Mark Costello will be livestreaming on our YouTube channel on Wednesday 20th October 2021 at 7:30pm.

This week on the Podcast we're having a bit of a Halloween special and discussing which are our favourite decades for horror movies. SO we want to ask you the same thing!

As always, if you contribute here there's a good chance you're answer will be exhumed for a mention on the podcast!

Just to start things off:

- Which decade has had the best horror movies in your opinion?

- Which are the best movies from that decade?

- Which has been the absolute worst decade for horror?

Now get playing Werewolf Bar Mitzvah to get you in the mood

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Gotta be the 80s really hasn't it.

The Shining, The Fly, AAWIL, The Thing, Evil Dead, all the slasher franchises.

Worst decade probably 1990s. Lots of CGI enhanced drivel, remakes and post-modern takes. Very little memorable apart from Misery, Sixth Sense and Audition.

1970s, 2000s and 2010s all great with loads of quality imo.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Christ, another bloody podcast where it's literally impossible to know where to begin :laugh:

I'm not sure the 80's wins. It could be the 70's. Are they allowed to share the gold medal?

But then we've had the emergence of horror from the likes of Japan and Korea in the 90's too. And they've had a steady stream of decent offerings since. Very different to their Western counterpart. Surpassing them even in many ways, by using their unique style and culture.

The Wailing immediately springs to mind. But then the original Ju-On offerings are no slouches either.

Dammit I don't know, I just don't know!!

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Top of my head I would say 70's but 80's maybe runner up.

No experience of horror pre 70's generally. Can't remember any classic horrors of more recent times either (the golden oldies from the 70/80's are easier to recall (for me anyway)).

My fave horror of the last 20-30 years is from 2005 and another in my top 5 from the last 20 years is from 2004 so the 2000's must have been pretty good.:D

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Peaked in the 80s for me, but I think being a teenager then and having an unquenchable thirst for all things horror made a difference. Off the top of my head, American Werewolf, The Shining, Nightmare On Elm Street, The Fly, The Thing, Poltergeist The Lost Boys and The Fog - all still favourites of mine that hold up today, and could teach some of the unscary cg tests of today a few things...

robcat101

There’s a lot to be said for the mid 70s/early 80s period. It also coincided when I was young enough to be genuinely scared by supernatural stuff. The Omen (1&2) were genuinely chilling rather than a splatter-fest. The Exorcist, The Fog and The Shining were also very creepy. Alien probably counts as a horror movie (although I’d call it Sci-Fi really).

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Gotta be the 80s really hasn't it.

The Shining, The Fly, AAWIL, The Thing, Evil Dead, all the slasher franchises.

Worst decade probably 1990s. Lots of CGI enhanced drivel, remakes and post-modern takes. Very little memorable apart from Misery, Sixth Sense and Audition.

1970s, 2000s and 2010s all great with loads of quality imo.
You forgot Scream !

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Hear me out; but there's a reasonably strong case for the recent 2010's being considered. Here's my top 20 from 2010-2019. Dont even need to refer to the Conjuring universe.
1634639659098.png

richp007

Distinguished Member
It's a good shout, but I'm not sure I could throw my weight behind some of those being horror films.

I guess that's an interpretation issue though, as the quality with them is certainly not in question.

bash

Gotta be 90s

Nothing has scared me more than Showgirls before or since.

generalgizmo

I'd say 70s..
Couple from 60s devil rides out and Rosemary's baby.. liked alot of 80s stuff when I started to watch as a kid.. but 70s had the behemoths of horror... The Exorcist... Texas Chainsaw Massacre.. The Omen and of course Halloween... all of which have been picked at some point as the best horror film ever made or scariest to top the polls over the yrs..

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom