Deadlift

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After doing some reading about how to help build core muscle strength, it became obvious that the deadlift should be included in my gym session. So that is what i am currently doing.

Some people claim it is one of the fundamental exercises and really helps to add mass and muscle etc.

So last night in the gym I decided to give it a proper go - i had a quick go last week and got upto only 60kg and stopped there, but last night went above that.

Managed to work up to 110kg in the end (8 reps) - started at 80kg, then 90kg, then 100kg before ending on 110kg.

i felt ok tbh, and so far seems to be what i am doing best at. i think my form is ok, trying to keep my back as straight as possible, grip the bars tight and use one over and one under hand grip (is this correct? i have seen videos of people using one of each grip). The different grip thing felt wierd to start with, but soon got used to it.

Will give it a few days rest now as I can suffer from a bad back from time to time, so don't want to cause that to come back.

Not really sure where to go from there - i understasnd 110kg isn't massive by any stretch, but it is more than my bodyweight (around the 100kg mark), so pleased with that.

Would like to get my squat up to bodyweight mark as well, so may work on that more.

Anyone else a fan of the deadlift?

Love deadlifting :)

Don't underestimate how much you're lifting, that's a very good weight considering you've only just started. Mixed grip is by far the best for me and it doesn't take long to get used to. Are you using straps or a belt at all? I'm holding out as long as I can until I feel I really need them, currently lifting at 1.6 times bodyweight so not too bad although I don't get to do them often enough.

i don't use any hand straps, as i want to really work my hand gripping power (which should help with shrugs too) - they burn like hell though.

i do use a belt i am afraid, but only because i REALLY don't want to damage my back and end up with a couple of weeks off work.

love a good dead lift , one of the basic excerises that will help with some many strengh aspects.
personall i dont advocate the one hand under , one hand over grip. I feel that this places too much strain on the underhands bicep and ive many many people damage there bicep that way. Dorian Yates doesnt like this method for the same reason as me.
struggle with squats but still a brillant excersise .

Love deadlifts too.

I like you started off using both hands over the bar but have since switched to the Sumo grip and found it allows me to lift more.

Im up to about 120kg but don't do it every week at this weight.

I slipped a disk in my back last year and still suffer from very tight hamstrings so doing light deadlifts (50kg) help alot with stretching them out..

Always good to use a bit of liquid chalk to help with my grip too.

yes, I like doing some deadlifts, but not as heavy as some here, plus the last time I did some I srained my back...as I was lowering the weight far too slowly(?) than what I should have been...maye about 4 seconds..

Deadlifting will eventually if done as a staple of your training help with overall strength and thickness of the back,it also helps with hamstrings,bicep development,basic excercise with huge benefits...

deadlift
squat
bench
pullup
clean and press

should all be a staple of our workouts

Love doing deadlifts, my leg day looks like

Squats
Deads
Lunges
Calf raises

Lifting 110 kg at 70kg, which I reckon is about Desmos 1.6x bodyweight result. But I need more plates at home as I ran out. I do 5x5 at deadlifts but had to increase reps to keep progressing so am currently doing 5x9 :)

Do an under/over grip as I found my grip was slipping as I got heavier with standard pronated grip

Last edited:
Yeah, similar to me in that I'm on 130@82 (although I put my weight at 13st but I'm not there yet so it's probably a touch better ratio wise).

My problem with deadlifts is that just as I get in to them, our routine changes around to suit Sinead so I never really get to do them for a prolonged and uninterrupted period.

Mixed grip is risky as you can pull a bicep. If you do mixed grip, try to switch the hands so that you're getting an even workout on both sides. I do all warm up sets with double overhand grip then my working sets with mixed grip when my grip fails. Our gym is **** because you can't use chalk. Seriously gonna think of moving soon, I can't grip the bar properly-- always slips due to sweat (and I think it's a rubbish bar anyway, it rolls far too much).

Mixed grip is risky as you can pull a bicep. If you do mixed grip, try to switch the hands so that you're getting an even workout on both sides. I do all warm up sets with double overhand grip then my working sets with mixed grip when my grip fails. Our gym is **** because you can't use chalk. Seriously gonna think of moving soon, I can't grip the bar properly-- always slips due to sweat (and I think it's a rubbish bar anyway, it rolls far too much).

Cant you just use some straps...

Are you not able to use this - Liquid Chalk lot less messy than ordinary chalk...

Ben-H said:
Are you not able to use this - Liquid Chalk lot less messy than ordinary chalk...

That looks great! I was gonna get one of those chalk balls but couldn't find a good one. This stuff looks good. I'll add it on my next MP order, they don't do free delivery.

That looks great! I was gonna get one of those chalk balls but couldn't find a good one. This stuff looks good. I'll add it on my next MP order, they don't do free delivery.

It is really good, be careful as it comes out pretty quick and you only need a little dollop! Dries really quick tho.

As a teenager i was introduced and given some words of advice on deadlifting by Mark Felix. As with most movements form is ultra important here. In my early 20s i got my deadlift upto 220kg for 10 reps and 240 for around 5. Infact it was the bread and butter of my back workout and was ny first exercise.

I changed this routine a few years ago though. I simply use deads as a warm up-go upto 3 plates a side for 12-15reps and move on.

Every so often i'll do a few heavier sets (as i did 2 weeks ago) and go upto 220 fir maximum reps. Im not too concerned with going any heavier than that now though:smashin:

Closest thing I've done is lift our wheelie bin which when full weighed a whopping 122 kg up some stairs from the back garden round the front. :p it's about 18 reps in total plus pulling it where the bin lorries collect from. Once a week, repeat weekly for great leg muscles ;)

Closest thing I've done is lift our wheelie bin which when full weighed a whopping 122 kg up some stairs from the back garden round the front. :p it's about 18 reps in total plus pulling it where the bin lorries collect from. Once a week, repeat weekly for great leg muscles ;)

Never underestimate what gains interms of strength, stamina and size can be gained whilst part-taking in real world activities as opposed to lifting a weight in the gym.

I remember being on holiday in Pakistan as a 7 year old and seeing an old chap pulling a cart full of sand and his associate pulling a cart full of bricks..barefoot in the seering heat and these guys looked to be atleast in there 50s, lean with little fat:eek:

sammy the squid said:
As a teenager i was introduced and given some words of advice on deadlifting by Mark Felix.

A living legend in terms of strongman. One of the best dead lifters and grip athletes this country has .

A living legend in terms of strongman. One of the best dead lifters and grip athletes this country has .

Ive known Mark since he came to England back in the mid 90s when he was a bodybuilder. He's actually from a family of strongmen back in his native Greneda. I think he holds the world record for the 1 arm deadlift and 1 other deadlifting record. He's also a genuinely decent bloke :smashin:

whenever I've seen vids of him training or just talking he has always come across as a really nice man. down to earth. big man that makes me proud of the athletes in this country.

sammy the squid said:
Never underestimate what gains interms of strength, stamina and size can be gained whilst part-taking in real world activities as opposed to lifting a weight in the gym.

I remember being on holiday in Pakistan as a 7 year old and seeing an old chap pulling a cart full of sand and his associate pulling a cart full of bricks..barefoot in the seering heat and these guys looked to be atleast in there 50s, lean with little fat:eek:

Absolutely, classic example is a guy we employ in the family kebab shop, he's 53 but if it wasn't for lack of hair he'd pass as newly 38 odd. Strong as a bull that man. All the working with meats, heavy crates of drinks cans and large boxes with multiple packs of frozen goods delivered weekly, I bet he could probably dead lift nearing 200 kgs

whenever I've seen vids of him training or just talking he has always come across as a really nice man. down to earth. big man that makes me proud of the athletes in this country.

Just watched the news and a piece on the cycling in the Olympics. The reporter was talking to Cavendish and asked a reasonable question in if he was still a bit tired from the Tour De France, to which Cavendish replied, as he walked away from the reporter "why are you asking stupid questions? What do you know about cycling?"

Granted he was going to be down, you could tell that by his face that looked like a slapped backside, but what a stinking attitude he had to what seemed like a reasonable question. If its one thing i cant stand its a bad loser with an attitude like a jumped up, upstart. You wernt good enough on the day son, get over it:lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom