Dead Yamaha RX-V671?

Starnzy

Standard Member
Reaction score
My Yamaha RX-V671 AV Receiver is only 2 months old - I bought it over Christmas and it's been working flawlessly, until last night.

After watching TV for about 4 hours last night, it suddenly powered off (leaving just the red standby light lit up). I powered it back on, but after 10 seconds it powered off again, and has since refused to power back on, leaving just the standby light lit up.

So, I tried unplugging all cables out the rear, so only the power cable is left plugged in. No joy. I unplugged it from the mains power on the wall and left it over night, then plugged the power back in this morning, but exactly the same. All I get is the red standby light but it refuses to power on.

The top of the casing was warm when it went off last night, but I didn't hear any pops/bangs etc. There is about 2-3 inches gap between the top of the amp and the next glass shelf up in my AV rack, so I think there's enough room there for air to circulate.

I tried holding the power button in for about 10 seconds at which point I noticed the red standby light go out until I released the power button (as I thought that might be some kind of system reset), but that made no difference.

I've phoned Richer Sounds this morning but because it's older than 28 days, they have to send it back to Yamaha which could take 3-4 weeks until I get it back! Everything relies on this amp, it's a bit of a nightmare.

Can anyone suggest anything that may have gone wrong, that I might be able to try to bring it back to life?! If I could even find a way of resetting the circuitry protection (via combination of buttons being held together like with some amps), that would be great, but I've looked online but not found any service manuals for this model, or guides on how to do it.

At the moment I'm half tempted to buy the Denon I was originally going to get, whilst the Yamaha is sent off to be repaired, then sell the Yamaha when I get it back (I've never had an amp die before - this is the first Yamaha I've owned).

Thanks

** UPDATE: I've read the manual and the only things that I can think it could be based on the troubleshooting section is that 'the protection circuitry has been activated 3 times consecutively', which prevents the system from powering back on (and requires a Yamaha dealer/service centre to sort). It mentions protection circuitry being activated by shorting speaker cables or the speaker impedance setting could be incorrect.

I've not touched any of my speaker wiring for at least a month, so Im not sure why it would suddenly short now if there was an issue?

Re the speaker impedance, I believe my amp is set to the default 8-ohms which I thought was ok with the setup below?

Front L & R: Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 Floor Standers (4 - 8 ohms) Average figure is 8 ohmns. Figure halves when doubling the number of speakers
Centre: Mordaunt Short Aviano 5 (4-8 ohms)
2 x Rear Satellites: KEF KHT1505 (8 ohms)

The manual reads:
6 ohms: Select this when you connect 6ohm speakers to this unit. You can also use 4-ohm speakers as the front speakers.
8 ohms: Select this when you connect 8ohm or higher speakers to this unit.

Does this mean that my front Aviano Floorstanders (as there are 2 of them (L&R)) Speakers are actually at 4 ohms, and therefore I should have had my amp set to 6-ohms rather than 8? My centre speaker says it's 4-8ohms so I'm not sure where I stand with that also?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Hi.
Were you listening with the volume above 50%? If not, it's unlikely to be related.
--
Regards, Iain.

I had the volume on about -25 to -30db which is the usual volume range I have it set at (I think it goes to +15db). I can't remember what the minimum is, perhaps -80db? I have it set to power on at -50db, which is fairly quiet so I then increase it usually to -30 to -25db.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom