Dead TV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Zaichik, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    After I bought a new widescreen TV, I moved my Hitachi 17", which had served me faithfully for 10 years, into the kitchen. Tonight, when I came home from work, it was as dead as a doornail - no power, no picture, nothing.

I've changed the fuse (twice) and moved it to different sockets but to no avail.

What is the most likely cause of a TV suddenly dying like that and is it cheap to fix?

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be an internal fuse blown, but usually they don't go without a reason. Sadly I doubt anybody will fix it because being a 10 year old 17" it will be classed as an uneconomic repair.

3. brummybloke

brummybloke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    by any chance was it near a microwave??

my missus bought a digital radio and promptly displayed it on our microwave oven. she was suprised to find that the next day having had it plugged in when the microwave was on, it stopped working.

DOH. i guess some electrical equipment is more sensitive than others to microwave current.

4. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Thanks for your replies. Doesn't sound good for the poor old thing! :(

No chance it was near a microwave as we don't have one. However, it was sited about six feet from our cooker. I wonder if the steam got to it.

5. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moisture doesn't help! But most TV's are designed to work in humid atmospheres. I think it's a standard spec for BSI approval for electrical products to work at set temperature/humidity level. So unless you actually got water in the thing then I doubt it was that. 6 feet is far enough away to ensure all the tv got was a bit of condensation.

6. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Age does not class something uneconomic. Expensive parts do. If it is just an internal fuse or something, I'd be surprised if anybody charged you more £30
    to repair it.

7. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Unfortunately it's not that straightforward!

A lot of dealers won't touch equipment that old, not because it can't be repaired, but because just removing the back might disturb something latent and provoke a more serious fault.

There's also the problem of giving a 3 month guarantee...