1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead/Stuck pixels

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by D J C 197, Oct 10, 2005.

1. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi,

Just curious as to how many LCD owners have any stuck/dead pixels?

I have today taken delivery of a 37" WLT58 and just noticed that there is one black pixel in the bottom left corner. Aaarrrrh! :mad:

How many other owners have any dead 'uns?

2. Maur

Maur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'v got 1 dead and a few stuck :( albeit none i can actually see at any distance over 2 feet :) Jvc 37 inch so my viewing distance is way back anyhow :D

3. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I've had three PC TFT monitors and two HDTVs (but only because the other had a processing fault) and I've never had any dead/stuck pixels. :D

4. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    No dead or stucks on our JVC LT26DS6.... so far!

5. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Lucky gits! :D

I cant actually see mine from my viewing distance unless the screen goes completely grey, ie when no av signal is being received. I noticed after turning off my DVD player last night, the screen went grey and i noticed this tiny dot in the bottom left corner.

I'm not sure is its dead or stuck. At first i thought it was always black, which i assume means its died. However this morning i noticed that when the red sofa on GMTV was on screen in that area, i could not see the dot anymore. Could this mean its actually stuck red?? And if so, do they ever unstick themselves?

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Del

6. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sometimes rubbing over it gets it unstuck. Doesn't harm trying.

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Not just for LCDs either ;)

You could try a cycling colour pattern via a PC. Someone did one for the PSP which 'exercises' the pixels and can recover some.

8. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I dont have any dead, stuck , dying ,fed up, or lazy pixels but I have not used any HD source but have had it on a completely blue screen and it seems fine, as far as I can see I dont have the oval lights on the screen that others are reporting either.

I am worried everytime i put the tv on though incase some pixels have kicked the bucket overnight, but the Tv is only 4 days old so hopefully I will relax a bit soon!

9. D J C 197

D J C 197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    4 Days old. Mine was only 4 hours old when i spotted mine!

Sometimes dont you just feel its not meant to be.

I've already got through a Panny PV500 plasma!

I must be pressing the wrong buttons :rotfl:

10. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

Dont worry I have the worst history in the world when it comes to electrical items either faulty or dieing early so this makes a change ( touches wood repeatedly!)

11. Jakus

Jakus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    All LCD panels will have Pixel errors, most of which the untrained eye will never see.
    The Consensus is if the panel is good when new and does not get knocked about it is unlikely to develop more.
    Panels are graded at test...Make You own minds up about who gets the Better ones!
    All any of us can really do is fully test the Tv when You first get it and If it has a problem You cannot live with send it back as not wanted, You will have little chance of arguing it is Faulty because it has a little coloured spot !

12. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    I'm sorry but that is an absurd statement. You are saying that the probability of manufacturing an error-free LCD panel is zero, which is simply untrue.

13. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I'd concur with that.

I've had three PC TFT screens over the last four years (not including the two I use at work) and I'm sat just 10-12" away from the screen so any dead/stuck pixels would be immediately noticeable as I use my PC a lot especially for browsing and games.

They've all been working 100% with no dead pixels at all and that includes the ones I use at work.

14. karlak

karlak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,747
    You are correct, it would be possible to make LCD's without a single dead pixel - But at what cost? If every panel made that had a single dead pixel was binned, then their would be a lot of full bins.

It is well know that suppliers offer panels with pixel 'problems' - This is why there are pixel policies in place.

see here;

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11395

15. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    They would be a lot less full now than they would have been a few years ago. Yields have improved dramatically, even though panel sizes have been increasing. My objection was to your categoric statement that "all LCD panels have faults". It isn't true. It was never true.

16. Jakus

Jakus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Sorry Guys You are Incorrect....I don't make a Habit of saying things that are Untrue !

Do Yourself a Favor and Go Google !!

17. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    I see. So your final position on this is that no error-free LCD panel has ever been made?

I'm glad we've cleared that up.

18. Jakus

Jakus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Njp

this is what I said "All LCD panels will have Pixel errors, most of which the untrained eye will never see"

and Yes I stand by it, You are taking it to mean You will never see a Panel without a Black.Green.red or Blue spot, that does not encompass all errors !

the average Panel has millions of pixels and each has 3 subpixels R,G,B

Go work it out How many Little subpixels will have to be working 100%.
    And Please don't miss quote me, My post was to help people with Facts not start an argument.. :cool:

I did a lot of research awhile back on LCD panels, thats How I know !

19. karlak

karlak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,747
    I don't remember making any "catagoric statement" - Wrong poster mate

20. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Who cares?? If you can't see them they ain't there for goodness sake. Theres enough geeks on here looking for the slightest fault with everything. Setting them off find things they can't see is beyond normal..... :suicide:

21. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    I haven't misquoted you. I summarised your position (accurately) as stating that no defect-free panel had ever been made. I am perfectly well aware of how many pixels and sub-pixels make up a HD LCD panel. Your 'argument from personal incredulity' that it is impossible to manufacture such a device without defects carries no weight with me. It's just plain wrong, as any supplier of class 1 LCD displays (as defined by ISO 13406-2) will be happy to confirm.

22. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Indeed you did not. I apologise.

23. karlak

karlak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,747
    Apology gratefully accepted :thumbsup:

My mum always told me to 'look before you leap' ;)

24. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Well there are manufacturer's that DO guarantee panels with no dead pixels so obviously "perfect" screens DO exist otherwise they'd be contravening the Trades Description Act! ;)

Dead stuck/pixels are caused by dust getting into the screens during manufacture so provided they are made in dust-free (or as close to dust-free as possible) environments there will be fewer faults.

I've only every bought five TFT/LCD screens as well as used two at work and being the fussy soul I am check them carefully for faults and I've NEVER seen any dead/stuck pixels. Obviously I'm lucky! :D

25. Madshark

Madshark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an observation, but is it fair to compare a PC (15", 17" or 19") LCD monitor to a 26" or particularly a 32" LCD TV (or bigger)?

It seems that the manufacturing process would be far more delicate with a bigger TV and the cost of binning a £1500's TV is less likely than a £200's monitor?!?

I use 17" PC LCD monitors and would not accept a dead pixel on them (or on my laptop), but is it feasible to employ the same policy to big LCD TV's? There is an obvious difference in that you don't sit close to a TV like you do a monitor!

All manufacturers use dust-free clean rooms but I assume it is impossible to rid environments of all dust else every LCD would be pixel perfect ?!?

26. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    no the rooms are dust free, its just like when your making anything sometimes things will fail, i.e a part wont be upto scratch when being built, when your dealing with very small things like transistors it is bound to happen.

however a dead/stuck pixel is a broken one and shouldnt be in a tv fit for sale.

it always confuses me why monitors are dirt cheap with 100%pixels and very high resolutions, yet lcd tv's have less pixels and 1000% more cost.... well yea i do people will pay more for a tv than a monitor!

27. Madshark

Madshark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  28. Jakus

Jakus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Very Interesting, also Intresting to hear what sound like Americans reporting lot's of bad sub pixel errors on new displays ! I have first hand experence of purchasing "Top line" 20" Nec Monitors that Had Pixel faults in the US, Not something You generaly see with European Supplied Units.
    I conclude we are less tolerant over here so the suppliers don't try it on !

A little word of advice with all this talk about pixels..
    If Your happy with Your Display in the way You use it DON'T get the magnifying glass out and go looking for Pixel problems You will have a Bad Day! even if the Panel is Class -0 ,Sorry small Dig !.. ;)