1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by NICKDAVIES, Sep 10, 2004.

1. NICKDAVIES

NICKDAVIES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone might be able to help on a speaker query.

I bought a pair of speakers for use at our rowing club - nothing fancy, the Eltax Monitors in beech from Richer Sounds. They're rated at 90W, similar (if not slightly more) than the output of the amp they're mated to, so I thought everything would be fine.

Anyway, they were great for a few months, but a few weeks ago, I went down to find that they were virtually useless. The only sound that was coming out was very tizzy, high frequencies only - i.e. my guess is that the woofer has blown and only the tweeters remain. :oops:

Is my assumption correct? Have the speakers simply been overpowered? If that is the case, is that game over, or can anything be done?

Obviously it's a bit difficult to tell when you can't hear the speakers(!) but any advice gratefully received. :thumbsup:

Cheers
    Nick

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    It sounds as though the mid/bass driver has failed. Have a word with RS and seek thier advice on how to rectify the damage.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is normally tweeters that blow if they receive too much juice and it's fairly rare for the tweeters to remain intact with the woofers blowing.

If both woofers have failed at once I would guess that you have a problem somewhere with the amp although I'm not sure what

4. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've blown a few speakers in my time but never two at once and only ever the base units, never the tweeters. try placing your thumbs on the outer rim of the woofer and pressing lightly, if it feels a bit rough or you can hear a sort of crunching sound then that means the woofer's cone is torn. try your speakers with another amp that you know is fine and try another pair of speakers which you know are fine with the amp. Then you'll know which bit of kit is at fault. also check all connections, not just speaker connections but source to amp connections as well. Are the speakers bi-wireable? If so make sure they are properly connected, bridging the two sets of binding posts if necessary.

If they are totally knackered then you could get them replaced, RS will be able to let you know how much, or you could get some woofers from maplins or somewhere and do it yourself.

5. NICKDAVIES

NICKDAVIES
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses guys. It's definitely the speakers, as I've replaced them with some old JBL Control 1's and everything is fine again. Mike, as you said, I tried them with another amp and they've gone - it's not speaker connections either. They are bi-wireable, but they are just bridged. Torn cones sound most likely, but I just wondered what other people's experiences were.

I doubt that RS will do anything (unless anyone knows different) as I suspect they'll just say that they were overpowered. As they were only £50-60 anyway, I doubt it's worth a repair job although it would be an interesting project. I did have the back off for a quick look, but I didn't get much further than peering at the insulation!

6. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's worth asking RS, I blew the power supply on an AV receiver by pushing it way too hard at a party and they fixed it free of charge without batting an eyelid. Of course i didn't tell them I had been pushing it too hard. If you don't ask you don't get. If you don't get any joy then probably best just to get some new speakers.