Dead Sky HD box

Highgord

Established Member
Reaction score
My Sky HD box seems to have given up the ghost after five years. I've tried all the usual, turned off the box, left it for an hour, turned it back on, waited for it to boot up, pressed the on button, green light comes on then nothing, no picture, no sound, checked all cable connections, fine, box now will not turn off. Contacted Sky, went through the whole proceedure with them to no avail. After following all their instructions twice, I informed them that I am insured with them and was immediately given a number to call, which I did, only to have to go through the same proceedure with them, again to no avail. Finally I was informed that an engineer would call on Monday (so fast). Now at last here is my question, if my box has to be replaced, what will I receive as a replacement? My present box is a Samsung with I think a 320GB HD, will the replacement have a larger HD and if so can I request a larger HD eg 1TB? I appreciate that it will be a refurb Amstrad but which one and how will I know the HD size?

Why don't you either phone or go to "my sky" on line and see what your options are regarding getting a new box rather than a refurb. It will be Amstrad but depending on the age of your old box there may be offers available

Incidentally, how much are you paying for insurance and do you consider it good value? Systems, including current boxes, are fairly reliable these days and sky are often willing to fix for nothing for those paying hefty subscriptions. IMHO insurance cover is an expensive add on that you might feel able to do without

The normal way of dealing with a faulty Sky machine, especially with an old one, is to use th e-mail form at MySky to report it, and to request a new machine, which will be either the 500gB version of the current Sky PVR for free, or the 2tB version for a small charge.
There is no point in holding Sky's insurance.

The normal way of dealing with a faulty Sky machine, especially with an old one, is to use th e-mail form at MySky to report it, and to request a new machine, which will be either the 500gB version of the current Sky PVR for free, or the 2tB version for a small charge.
There is no point in holding Sky's insurance.

Correct here. After they refused to fix my box without me paying, I cancelled. 2 days later they offered to replace it for free with a discount on subs. Told them where to go however

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom