1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Simple DVI cable question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by kev^, Oct 13, 2005.

1. kev^

kev^

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all sorry this is such a noobish question. I am sure my answer is lurking around these forums somewhere but I can't find a specific case the same as mine so I just want to be sure before I go off ordering anything....

At the moment I have my PC hooked up to a CRT monitor using a bog standard (d-sub?) connection.

I've just ordered a Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen monitor which has one DVI-D Input. My graphics card (a Geforce4 ti4200) has a DVI output. Using this picture - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1703389&postcount=4 it looks like it is a DVI-I Dual Link.

So simple question is what cable exactly should I be buying to hook these two up? I don't mind spending a *little* extra for a good quality one but I wouldn't wanna spend anymore than fifteen or twenty quid on this cable. It only needs to be a metre or two long.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    kev^

Pretty much any Single or Dual Link DVI cable will do the trick.

Depending on what length of cable you require you may need to look more upmarket than absolute basement cost.

A 2m Molex DVI Dual Link will cost you around £25.00 inc postage and fits the bill for lots of folk.

If you want to go more upmarket and or over 5m then the likes of BetterCables should be on your shopping list (see http://www.bettercables.com/dvidcables.html).

Another brand that gets good feedback is Lindy.

Best regards

Joe

3. bri.s

bri.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You should get one with the screen. I have bought 3 dell monitors now and the DVI cable has always been included and of very good quality.