Dead Pixels?

martin_d

Standard Member
Reaction score
Might be a really daft question, but how can you tell if you have a dead pixel?

A dead pixel never illuminates ie black
A stuck pixel is always illuminated ie red, green or blue
You will have to try and display different colour patterns and see if you have any of the above.

my first advice is if you cant see em dont go looking for em, cause reading the posts on here about them will make your paranoid lol.

But easist is get a colour full screen, say white or black is best and put your nose literally to the screen and start looking as the little pixels as if your lookin for a needle in a haystack.

You may if you lucky come across one that isnt the same colour as another, if our very lucky may be dust on the screen ;) this could be a stuck pixel as one of the colur layers are not working as it should.

A dead will be black some say white as it lets the back light through.

I got 1 red stuck in the middle and only see if i sit just in front of it and make a point of looking for it. THats on a Bravia V32 :)

Some people have succesfully massaged a stuck pixel back into life,(GENTLY rub the screen in the effected area).

You cannot get a white pixel as the 'white' light/colour in your screen is actually made up of red/green and blue pixels NOT white. (same for CRT)

There is a link here somewhere to a short movie which flashes through R G and B constantly which also helps unstick pixels, you can play via a PC.

Tom

download undeadpixel2.1 its really easy to use to locate dead pixels and you can flash the area thats stuck

What do I have then?? With a black screen I have 2 pixels (1 top left corner and 1 near middle of screen), both show white. Not dust on screen but deffinately white.

If you don't know what a dead pixel is then don't find out!

They are stuck pixels, each segment you have will have all red green and blue pixels stuck on which is why they look white.

Use a high power magnifier to look (about 10X+)

Tom

The sketch:

A customer enters an electronics shop.
Mr. Praline: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint. (The owner does not respond.)
Mr. Praline: 'Ello, Miss?
Owner: What do you mean "miss"?
Mr. Praline: I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!
Owner: We're closin' for lunch.
Mr. Praline: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this LCD TV what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.
Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the HDReady 32”...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?
Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's got dead pixels, that's what's wrong with it!
Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's not had time to run in.
Mr. Praline: Look, matey, I know a dead pixel when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
Owner: No no he's not dead, he's, he's warming up! Remarkable screen, the HDReady 32”, idn'it, ay? Beautiful colours!

The dead pixel issues reminded me of the classic sketch, in fact the Owner could well work at Dixon's these days!!!

On a serious note its remarkable that we have to pay top dollar for a potentially faulty product...........the price of early adoption, or the actions of an oligopoly given the limited number of LCD wafer plants?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom