1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead pixels your thoughts

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by WIRY, Jul 27, 2003.

1. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some unlucky few are sending back or living with dead pixels on their brand new plasma screens, I bet this dos`nt happen with the PIO`S, but you get what you pay for and all that

Do you think its a good Idea to ask the guy your buying it from to double check before he sends it to you. the only worry is, he could then easyly enough send you an ex display model, or is there a way to check if its been used for longer than a few minites

apart from the dust i mean

laters
    wiry

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pixels can also die at any time.

Our local shop has a Fujitsu, when brand new- no dead/lit pixels. After about 6 months of use- a dead pixel smack in the middle, and one further up (appear black)

If Plasma resolution was higher, ie- .5 mm per pixel it wouldn't be noticeable- however I can see the dead pixels from my viewing distance. I guess that's why I'm waiting until Plasma resolution at least doubles what they are at the mo.

3. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OH well that dose make it a little less anoying I guess, knowing that they can happen any time.

dose that mean that a dead pixel will show up more on a panny 6 than on say 42pd3000

thanks again
    wiry:smoke:

4. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I was sent something (originally from the panasonic web site) a while ago. This stated panasonics actual limits on bad pixels.
    Many companies do not state a clear policy, just state there may be some pixels as long as they are dead (black), the generally this is ok.

Panasonics statement detailed the number of pixels that were acceptable to be dead outside the central area of the screen.
    I would state how many, but I have lost the document and my memory is bad.
    I have been told that some suppliers have quite bad tolerances as to what is unacceptable re dead pixels.
    Sevenoaks used to do a dead pixel check before despatch, but as you say how to you know it is not an ex-display model.

Steve

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you order over the net & you have dead pixels on arrival you are OK (you are protected by distant selling rules & can send it back in the first 2 weks for any resaon)

In the Panasonic's service menus there is a running total for how long your screen has been used & how many times it's been powered up.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Panny and fujitsu both have service menus availablr to those who know. Pioneer have a pixel policy too, and it doesn't mean perfection. As to pixels shwing more on lower res screens, maybe they do, but it'd be just as irritating I'm sure. I've known them just to be 'stuck' and to fire up again, even in screens returned as b grade stock from Pioneer.

7. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've got one pixel that is stuck on red on my pio503mxe and it can only be seen when stuck on a white mask. During normal viewing I can't see and as such couldn't be bothered sending it back.

8. WIRY

WIRY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah your right

if t dont annoy you then y bother sending it back, the next one might have two dead pixels and so on

and as they can go anytime well

cheers all
    wiry:smoke: