Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Dead Pixels - Worth a Fight?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by paulkelly111, Sep 28, 2005.

1. paulkelly111

paulkelly111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased an Hitachi 42pd7500 last month and it wasn't til I sat down and watched my first footy game on it that I noticed a black dead pixel about 5 inches off the centre of the screen. I got in touch with the supplier RGB and they didn't want to know and said that anything up to 7 dead pixels is "within manufacturers specification" and said if I wanted to take it further, I would have to take it up with Hitachi.

I got in touch with Hitachi customer services who got their local agent to call round and have a look. He was very sympathetic and said he wouldn't be happy either to have shelled out over £2k on a TV with a black dot on it. He rang back later to say he had spoken to Hitachi, and basically all they are saying is that I can ship it off to them, and they will have a look at it, but if they say it is within spec, they will just return it to me and I will have to pay all the shipping fees both ways!

Has anyone had a scrap over this issue, and was it worth the battle?
    :lease:

2. dave owen

dave owen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stand your ground and make a big fuss. In my opinion any dead pixels are not acceptable. A dead pixel near the centre is totally unacceptable.

I will only buy panels from Costco because I know there is no issue with returning for issues such as a dead pixel. Just wish they sold the Panasonic.

3. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read in the panny manual their disclaimer about dead pixels - along the lines of this is a precision equipment but some dead pixels are likely and are within manufactuer specifications

worth fighting but I wouldn't send the tv to hitachi as you'll get charged shipping and they won't change the tv IMHO which will annoy you further

4. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Keep a record of all dates/times/names of correspondence. Say you wish to reject this as all you see when you veiw is the dead pixel, prev poster was correct that it is unacceptable in the centre. Get an agreement before you return it - its not as though they can fix it. Do more research & seek advice, also take it higher at place of purchase. Did you buy with credit card? - is there an avenue there. I would fight it. G'luck

5. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thats a good suggestion re get agreement before you return it - perhaps email your hitachi contacts pictures the plasma with something highlighting where the dead pixel is

6. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't RGB an online supplier?....didnt I read somewhere in the forum that you can return anything within a certain time for any reason if its a distance purchase...wish I could be more helpful....maybe that time frame has gone by

7. BigBilly

BigBilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46