1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead pixels or something else?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Enty, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Enty

Standard Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Tromsø, Norway

I've got a Sony vpl-hs1 that I'm seeing what may be a bunch of dead pixels. The reason I'm not entirely sure is that they're behaving differently than I thought they would.

When viewing a black/no-signal picture, everything is "black". When viewing a white picture, certain pixels are brighter than others. Especially two in the left part of the widescreen area about 5" apart on a 60" screen. Showing separate red, green and blue pictures I can clearly see these 3 pixels as brighter green pixels on the green picture, but they appear fine on both the red and blue picture.

Looking more closely I can actually see a lot of slightly brighter pixels on the green picture (but I guess these could be noise on the svideo connection?), one on the red and none on the blue. Of these, only the two in the widescreen viewing area are occationally visible during a move.

Are these dead pixels or is there something else wrong with my green lcd panel? If I try a dark green color then only the 3 brightest pixels will be noticable, and just barely. As I get closer to black (say lower than 50 on the green value) they blend in with the background.

Any ideas welcome :)