1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Pixels? or not dead pixels

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by chalkdust, Jul 8, 2003.

1. chalkdust

chalkdust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Can anyone help. Have sent py pj back to panasonic as have seen what I thought were dead pixels, 4 green and 1 blue. Only really visible on grey background screen. Engineer phoned me to say they were not dead pixels but illuminated pixels? said that they were not visible on a white screen and something about intensity degree's and percentages thereof. Outside of Panasonics tolerances so have to lump it. Anyway, if anyone could give me their definition of dead pixels I would be very grateful.

2. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a load of tosh, stuck on or off it's just as dead either way. In fact stuck on is far far worse.

4 stuck on green, no way :mad:

The fact that they are not visible on a white screen is totally irrelevent as they are totally obvious on a black screen which is what matters for HT use (unless it's one of panasonics presentational projectors?).

What projector is it by the way?

-- Jon

3. chalkdust

chalkdust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry, should have stated it is the notorious ae100. Trouble is, when these engineers ring you they try blinding you with science, more of a headache really, and if your not familiar with all the terminology you are stuck.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,077
    If the PJ is new (say < 1 month old) your recourse is to the retailer under the terms of the Sale of Goods Act. Not of merchantable quality; not fit for its purpose. Demand a refund.

5. chalkdust

chalkdust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The pj is one from Robert Whyte refurbished jobbies. It is 2 weeks old and has 30 hours on it. The retailer (Robert Whyte) say they have to go by the findings of Panasonic UK who, say that they cannot find any dead pixels only the partly lit ones.

6. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if the pixles were lit green you would see them clearley on a black background not just on grey afak lit pixles will show on black as you say that they only show on a grey background perhaps the engineer has a point. IMHO is it affects the watchability of the projector then theyre naughty not to take it back ... can you see them during a film from normal viewing distance?

the way i look at pixles is that they can be lit green, red, blue or any combination all of them make white none of them lit make black

so if its stuck on green for example its all sparkily and should be easy to spot on black.

bit waffly but waffles are nice ...mmmmmmm waffles *drool*

7. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Don't get me started on Robert Whyte....

Had a nightmare with my 36" TV with them. It clearly has crap geometry and you wouldn't have paid 1.5K if you'd seen it first.

But Endeva (Phillips' local service centre) keep saying it is within the Philips tolerances, so tough. If Endeva say tough, then so do Robert WHyte. The fact that you wouldn't have bought it is not an issue.

Items like this need to be bought from a shop where you can complain loudly on a busy Saturday afternoon. It always gets results. Not on the internet. So I saved £400 quid at the time. It wasn't worth it!

Can't imagine getting this beast back to Galsgow easily.

Cheers
    Marc

8. dcullen302

dcullen302

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i have some pixel issues with a recently purchased Panasonic AE300E (from komplett.ie) and rang Panasonic to get their policy on wonky green pixels.

They sent me a fax and i've reproduced below info relevant to green pixels:

Permanently Lit Pixels:
    -----------------------
    At an Input Signal Level (White) of 100%, 0 permanently lit green pixels are allowed.
    At an Input Signal Level (White) of 80%, 1 permanently lit green pixel is allowed.
    At an Input Signal Level (White) of 50%, 5 permanently lit green pixels are allowed.
    At an Input Signal Level (White) of 30%, 10 permanently lit green pixels are allowed.

Dead Pixels:
    -------------
    With the screen showing a full 100% white screen, the maximum number of dead pixels is as follows:
    5 green pixels are allowed

hope this helps - i haven't found a moment to organise an exchange yet.

d

p.s. can someone explain the "At an Input Signal Level (White) of 100%..." bit?

9. chalkdust

chalkdust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yes me too, at input signal level and varying percentages, would this possibly mean shades of grey? As far as Robert Whyte are concerned, have phoned them today and awaiting reply. Did e-mail them previously and asked if the pj would have dead pixels as I would only take one that didn't have them. They replied saying that there would be no dead pixels?

10. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At an Input Signal Level (White) of 100%, 0 permanently lit green pixels are allowed

:clap: I'd like to know their procedure for checking this one!

If that's where the zero tolerance on green pixels spec that has been around for a while comes from then I for one am not impressed ;)

-- Jon

11. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats a waste of time imho .. lit greens are annoying on a dark background you would hardly notice them on a white one