Dead pixels on Sony VW11

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nigel_williams, Aug 18, 2002.

1. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've suddenly got a large number of (what I think is) dead pixels on my Sony. They appear as small green splodges, for want of a better word, mainly visible on blue scenes like sky or water.

This has happened almost overnight, it was fine yesterday! There's nearly 20 of them dotted right across the picture.

My other explanation is dust getting inside.... I've had the window open much of the time due to the heat. Are there any recommended ways of cleaning inside a projector?

Projector is about 4 months old and has 50 hours on the clock. I've also been noticing glitches on the screen i.e. the screen flickers occasionally but I think that's the DVD player!

Not having much luck at the moment!

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very unlikely they're dead pixels.

Most likely dust, but how did so much get into it so quickly?

Have you checked/cleaned the filter recently?

Can't offer any advice on cleaning it, if it was an AE-100, I would be able to help.

3. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've tried to have a closer look and it doesn't look like individual pixels.... so it's most probably dust - maybe I should change the air filter!

That's the price of living in dirty old London I suppose!

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    You description suggests dust on the LCD panels, rather than dead pixels. Dead pixels are clearly defined spots (each one clearly focussed and equal in size to an individual pixel - ie very small and square). Larger and/or diffuse colour patches are much more likely to be dust particles.

Speaking for the VW10 which is physically virtually identical to the 11 - cleaning the LCD block is easy, effective and takes around 10-15 minutes.

You need an engineer's aerosol air duster (try Maplins), a crosspoint screwdirver, and a little faith.

You will find detailed instructions in the FAQ document available from www.thebigpicturedvd.com .

Just make sure that, as you blow, no unevaporated liquid comes out of the aerosol.

5. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'll give that a try next weekend, thanks for the tip/link.