1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead pixels on DVD portables

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Canary_Jules, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    I just bought a Mustek PL207A from Ebuyer and am very happy with it. There's one small fly in the ointment though! There's a 'dead' pixel near the centre of the screen. It's not glowing green or anything, but appears slightly darker than rest. Since this is my first portable I just wondered what the tolerance rate is for dead pixels on portables. When would you send one back for having a dead/stuck pixel? Should I really expect a perfect picture from a budget portable? You can tell that I'm still deciding what to do on this one so advice would be appreciated.

Jules

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I wouldn't accept it. These smaller tft screens should be less prone to pixel problems because they have less pixels. Anyway I've seen a few portables in action and never seen one with a dead pixel. So I don't think its that common to have a dead pixel.

3. FlimsyFeet

FlimsyFeet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wouldn't accept it, being in the centre of the screen it's just going to annoy you forevermore. However, I wish you the best of luck in getting a replacement from ebuyer!

I got a portable from Argos, and was going to take it back because I thought it had a dead pixel. It turned out to be a bit of dust on the screen!

4. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Thanks for your input guys. Much appreciated!

Jules

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I actually bought a umax portable dvd player from ebuyer back along. It wouldn't charge the battery so I emailed them asking can I send the battery only back for replacement as the main unit works fine and I can use it from mains and car adaptor without problems. They agreed and some time later I got an email stating that I only returned the battery and not the whole unit. I wrote back to get them to look at the enotes to see that they had agreed to this but they still returned the battery to me and I was out of pocket for sending the battery back. They then collected the whole package after I complained and I got a refund. However I then discovered they had charged me about £7 on my credit card for returning the battery to me. Completely illegal as no permission was ever given to use the card at the time. Ebuyer are a pretty vile company I have to say. I did email them about it but got nowhere with them. Be very careful with them and make sure you make everything crystal clear. I must admit I let the charge go but I've got to write to my credit card company about another matter so will probably include that. I strongly suggest you insist they collect the item at their expense. If you paid by credit card use that as leverage. The goods aren't of merchantable quality.

6. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Well, surprise surprise! I sent the DVD portable back and tonight I have received an email stating that they can't find any faults with it so they are charging me a 20% restocking fee and only giving me a store credit for the balance! Guess whjat? I received an email at 15:50 to say that they had received my package and it could take up to 7 days to check my item. At 16:03 I got another email to say it had been tested and found to be in working order. At 16:05 I got the email about restocking etc! Sure they tested it!! 13 minutes from receipt of the box to an email arriving saying the goods were fully functioning?!! Total c***! Charging illegal restocking fees! I made the mistake of paying for the return of the unit but now I will insist that is refunded. I will phone tomorrow and read the riot act - did I mention that my wife is a practicing solicitor!

Never again will I buy from ebuyer!

Jules

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I love some of their prices but the fact that illegally stole money using my credit card means I too will never buy from them again.

8. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Well, I hope the saga is now over. I phoned Ebuyer to explain my grievances and they apparently had the unit tested again. An hour later I had an email saying that the unit was in fact faulty and that I would have all my money refunded! The chutzpah of these people! They clearly hadn't bothered to test in the first instance and were just trying it on in order to boost their margins! I'll be checking my card now to make sure the money is back on my card.

Jules