"Dead pixel" scare

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Zeddy, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Zeddy

Zeddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a real fright today. Went to watch Wolf Creek on my 506XDE which had been recorded during the week on the SkyHD Box, when I noticed a "dead" bright blue pixel half way across the screen, about 8" down from the top. It was so bright, it seemed to light up the adjacent cells, which made a real mess. I moved back from the normal 9 ft, to 25 ft, and could still see the blob clearly!! :eek:

Now I have been carefully running-in for the last 2 months, but had turned the wick up for this film. I quickly switched to the menu screen, and could see nothing of the little blighter (then I thought it was invisible due to the blue background). Quickly tried another recorded film, which was R-Point, and guess what? Still the "dead" pixel was present! :mad:

My heart sank, until I later switched to a normal Sky channel, and no blue pixel was evident. Flicked to other channels and recordings - nothing. :rotfl:

The effect was only present on the films I have recorded from Film4.

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. fid

fid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    i saw a dead pixel on planet earth on the bbc hd channel on my mate's hitachi

he almost :censored: himself when i pointed it out :eek:

how we laughed, when we realised it was actually the programme itself rather than the screen :rotfl:

3. Smollett

Smollett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Almost every film I have recorded from Film4 has the same problem and it sounds like it is in the same place on my screen. It never occurs with any other channel and as yet I haven't noticed it when watching film4 as it plays rather than recorded, but still need to do some comparisons.
    It's not a big area but once you know it is there it makes it difficult to enjoy the film. Sort of glad someone else has noticed it tho- I came on here to find out if it was just me so thanks for your post.
    Don't know what can be done about it tho- need one of the more techie members to get interested.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I've not noticed it. But I don't use sky+, I have a topfield. You guys all using sky? Is the problem with sky?

5. vloothuis

vloothuis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had one of those scares to, but I am afriad mine is a little more fustrating,
    A few Dead Pixels, but then on closer inspection it looks like something is actually stuck between the glass and the screen on my px60.
    I have tried to shake/rock (carefully) the screen but it wont budge... All I do is focus on it from miles away.......

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    That's a pain in the RS but curable I think. You can actually dismantle that part, though you'd have to get it done professionally as it's in warranty. I think I'd try it on warranty claim anyway, it shouldn't happen. I've seen a fly in one once!

7. brendan_dj

brendan_dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    This has been discussed in the Sky HD forum ever since it was launched (22 May)

It appears to be a software bug on Sky HD. The large black dot appears slightly above and slightly to the right of centre of the screen.

It only appears when playing back a Sky+ recording that prompts for a pin.
    (Such as "Manual Recording", or any pin-protected programme)

If you let it play for a few seconds, then rewind to the beginning using 30x until you get to the start of programme message, then press Play, you can watch your recording from the beginning without the black dot.

8. Smollett

Smollett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    That's excellent - many thanks. I'll give it a go. Have been driven to deleting films without watching them - too annoying.

9. jmacc

jmacc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,887
    i have exactly the same on my 506xde, just watching misery recorded from film 4....
    it is annoying but tbh i`m just glad it goes away

10. gtowns

gtowns
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had this exact same scare watching an HD FilmFour movie when my plasma was a few days old.

I still check that spot every so often, so it's nice to know its a Sky problem.