1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Pixel Policy?

Discussion in 'PS Vita Forum' started by General Panic, Sep 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Guys
    My brother and i got our PSP's to-day from Game. Mine has 1 dead pixel in top left corner (exactly same place as my DS by coincedence) but my little bro's unfortunatly has about 6 in a fairly type grouping :(

Anyone know Games policy regarding dead pixels?

Will be a week or so till we can get back to the store in Dundee we got it from.

Cheers.

PS These machines are bloody brill as multi purpose entertainment units. Already have it loaded with photo's , mp3's and my last home made holiday video.

2. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    If it has 5 pixels or more Sony wlll replace the console. The store should allow you to have another but if you have below 5 dead pixels it wont be changed.

3. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That is my one beef with LCD and Plasma technology. No on wants dead pixels. But apparently, in instruction manuals, they seem to think it is perfectly normal, and proceed to tell you that it is not a problem.

BS.

I don't want dead pixels. I had one on my GBA SP, and it was dead centre, and was just staring me in the face all the time. I am glad that GAME replaced it though, but I had to make sure I tested the new one before I took it away...

Do the UK PSP consoles come in sealed box's? I'd make sure I tested it before I laid down £180 sheets. At least if it did have a dead pixel, you haven't actually given them your cash first.

But you'd think that Sony would product test these consoles first befoer they leave the factory.

4. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I waited to buy a UK one just for this reason. Lucky (depending on how you look at it) i did as my psp from Game has a speck of dust under the screen slap bang in the centre.

When i pre-ordered i checked that they would exchange a screen with any fault and they said no problems, true to their word they have a replacement machine waiting for me to pick up at the weekend :).

If you aren't happy with the screen, go back. You paid alot of money for something you'd be happy with not to enter a pot luck "it maybe fine/it might not".

5. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I bought virtua tennis from Virgin megastore yesterday and a guy bought a psp and the women behind the counter opened the box and showed him the screen telling him about the dead pixels. The guy never even asked he prob does not about it.
    The women told him about the dead pixels some machines may have and that Sony wont replace them if they do have dead pixels.

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I got my UK one from Argos. Would be well upset if they didn't take it back as it has 3 DP's in the centre of the screen. I guess they will exchange it (if they got any in !) but it is excluded from the 16 day money back guarantee.

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    only got one....it is on far left, near edge so doesn't really matter

8. dimples

dimples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well said, I couldn't agree more.

I bought a TFT monitor from an online store and it had one dead pixel. I rang the makers(Hyundai) up and they said they couldn't replace the screen due to there only being one dead pixel. I decided to look into this and by law you can return any item for no reason within 7days of purchase and demand a full refund. Worth keeping in mind.

9. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Game have a 10 day returns thing, so just take it back and buy another one.

10. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    isn't that for unused items? Sony will change a PSP, but only for 8 I think the number is, which I think is reasonable. I'm not picky enough to be bothered by one dead pixel

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    TBH I could live with 1 or 2 along the edges. But in the middle of the screen you will forever notice them. Now my Jap PSP doesn't have any dead ones :)

12. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +691
    My first US PSP had 2 stuck pixels and they were so bright I just couldn't use it, so I flogged it and bought a US one that had been checked and didn't have any dead/stuck pixels.It is amazing how much better the PSP is if it doesn't have this problem, I personally wouldn't own a PSP with a single stuck pixel.Sony should replace any PSP which has this problem as it is so much more noticeable than on say a TFT monitor or Plasma.

13. dimples

dimples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Law

The above law is relevant to buying online or mail order.

14. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    If you buy a product (in this case a PSP) you are within your rights to expect the item to do what it is advertised to do eg: playback a game or UMD movie in full, the way it was meant to be displayed. Any dead pixels stop that from happening regardless of how major/minor the impact this has for the user, constitues that the item is not fit for the purpose of which it was sold and you are entitled to a refund or exchange.

The same applies to dead pixels appearing after purchase. if a fault develops (regardless of how small - a fault is a fault at the end of the day!) the repair, replacement is what you are entitled to.

After all they dont advertise..."New Sony PSP, complete with dead pixes!"

15. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Caimbuel, nice idea but not reality. They do in the small print say that the product may have a few dead/stuck pixels. I don't agree with the policy but that is what it is.

I took my psp back (with a very slight bit of dust under the creen) today and tried 2 more psp's. 1st had tons of dust much worse than my orignal by a looonnngg way. 2nd had 1 bit of dust but upon powering it up had 2 stuck pixels.

Decided to stick with my original psp. Have been offered to try again (they only had 2 spare) when the new batch comes in. To be honest now count myself fortunate after seeing what i could have ended up with and will probably leave it well alone.

I can't praise the staff of Game highly enough i really did mess them around and they did thier utmost to make a customer satisfied. Top Stuff.

16. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Game have taken all hardware out of this deal This was done around the same time as they removed the 10 Day return on PC games :thumbsdow

17. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    In whose small print does this appear?

18. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
  19. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    ...But is it on the box or do you have to purchase it before you are made aware of it?

20. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    it'll be in the manual, just like all plasma and lcd tv's. i can see where your going with this, and as an owner of a plasma with 2 stuck pixels, i certainly agree that it shouldn't be this way.

21. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    In the box it says the same. Any stuck pixels or dead ones will not be considered a malfunction. It actually state all PSP's have one or the other ! Nothing specific about how many are tolerable but I hear it is upto 8 pixels.

Well I'm so glad my replacement came with no dead pixels/sub deads/stuck :)

I'd agree you'll be wasting your time trying to convince Sony. Similar policies exist on TFT screens.

22. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not (yet) a PSP owner, but one of the things that has concerned me is Sony's returns policy with regards to dead pixels.

I can understand that, when you buy an LCD monitor, it is accepted that one or two dead pixels could occur and is something you can put up with. After all, even on a fairly low resolution monitor of 1280 x 1024, what's a few dead pixels out of 1,310,720 ?

However, with the PSP's resolution of 480 x 272, that's only 130,560 pixels. Even a few dead pixels can distract from your enjoyment, and I for one would not be happy spend around £200 on an imperfect product and being told 'tough luck'.

I currently have 2 Nintendo DS's, neither of which had any dead pixels, but I understand from other forums, that even with just one dead pixel, Nintendo have been happy to exchange the unit (never having been in that position, however, I can't confirm this).

Once the PSP has been out for a while, and Sony aren't rushing the production, I may then consider buying one, but until then, I'm prepared to wait.

23. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I`ve been through 2 psp`s now. Got one christmas last year from japan which had 2 stuck pixels upper middle of the screen and a sticky right trigger. Sold that and got a US one at launch and this had 1 lit pixel, but fortunatly it was right in the bottom corner of the screen next to the frame and out of view. It also had a right trigger that kept catching and sticking on the metal panel next to it aswell.

While the psp is a great machine i personally think the build quality of these stink. They have a very flimsy feel to them, with the umd tray feeling loose, triggers not feeling solid and sticking, d pads not working right, unresponsive square button that has an uneven feel to it. Plus the dead pixel rate what people are getting on these is shocking, the ds has no where near the amount of problems with dead pixels and if you even have one dead pixel, nintendo will swap it no problem like they did with my DS. Plus i can`t say i rate the screen that much either as there`s some aweful blurring/lag when it comes to blacks and put me of watching films on it.

Until they improve the build quality of psp`s (especially the triggers) provide me one without dead pixels and hopefully a better screen that doesn`t lag as much, i won`t be buying another.

24. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    Did you by any chance have the misfortune to have 2 faulty units?

The square button was changed (due to it catching to edge of screen in original Jap ver). It now feels "different", but not like its gona fall out, phew

My shoulder buttons feel solid. I have a brand new UK PSP

25. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Neither were faulty, the jpn model square button did feel very odd and uneven as you say it was down to it overlapping on the screen and still does due to the size of the psp. The us model had this fixed to a certain degree, but still felt slightly iffy compared to the other buttons. As for the triggers tons of people complain about them sticking over numerous gaming forums and not feeling solid and that includes people with uk models. As i said it`s a nice piece of kit but doesn`t feel solid enough imo.

26. Papua

Papua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    With regards to dead pixels and your rights, the words of the law regarding this (or any item) for returns/refunds is that the item is 'not of satisfactory quality' and that it is in the purchasers view, not the retailer or manufacturer. The manufacturers have no rights to state what they concern is in this case 'not a malfunction' to a purchaser it is. TFT screens have been manufactured for years and the PSP one is very small for this technology nowadays and we should all expect one of this size to be perfect now.

I do not see why people have not taken these manufacturers via small claims track in the courts to enforce refunds where manufacturers/retailers refuse to exchange/refund. These lcds/plasma items are all expensive compared to the technology they replace and no one should expect a poorer quality product. This is where it takes everyone who is not happy to push for refunds/exchanges and let the manufacturers know that we will not be fed with inferior quality items.

27. tom_g

tom_g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i'm not 100% on this but-

the PSP's resolution is that resolution over the 4-5inches of screen or whatever it is ,ie, not 480x272 on a 14"inch monitor. the pixels on the psp are tiny, smaller than a pin prick.

again what is a couple of pixels out of the 130,560? not noticable unless you inspect it under scrutiny.

there's more chance you'll have fingerprints/specs of dust/reflective light/crap on your screen to distract you than a couple of dead pixels.

i'm not condoning manufacturers' policies on dead pixels but if you're getting something at a (relatively cheap) price what do you expect? the psp is one of the cheapest portable multi-media device available with a screen that size and brightness (plus the ps2 level of cpu/graphics). again don't pick me up on this as i don't know. but of the portable media player i've seen, the psp looks 10x as stylish.

does anyone know how much it is costing sony to make each psp and how much they are losing per unit?

28. turquoisefish

turquoisefish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard that the PSP will be their first console that isn't a loss leader. i guess they are making a small profit.
    My PSP has 3 annoying dead pixels and about 8 other ones, Game said phone Sony as they won't have any spare until after christmas

29. nickp8

nickp8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
  30. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    But are big enough to see clearly on any black background - they're not that small - I guess the brightness of lit/dead pixels is highlighted even more with contrasting surroundings.

The build quality of the PSP is shocking though, the UMD drawer is flimsy, the triggers have been sticky on all the machines I've used, and it's too delicate for it's own good. Otherwise it is very nice, but not worth £180, Yesasia even have a white one due for release in a week for £170 new.