1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Pixel Policy?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by SquidMan, Mar 10, 2005.

1. SquidMan

SquidMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ho hum... I was going to go out and get a brand spanking new LCD this weekend, but the complexities of John Lewis' 'Never Knowingly Undersold' policy has made me realise I might be better off just ordering the darn thing online!

My main concern is (despite not having the free 5 year warranty!) the problems of dead pixels. I've got and LCD screen for my computer, and breathed a very heavy sigh of relief when it arrived with no (noticable) pixel probs... but what about LCD TV's?

Speaking to the helpful fella in the Sony store last weekend he said it was extremely rare (which I already know) but that they would 'look after me' if I did have a dead pixel... which after some pushing he basically said they would exchange the TV if it had this problem as it was manufacturing fault.

Something tells me that most online stores won't 'look after me' in this way, and I wondered if anyone had any pearls of wisdom surrounding this particular anomaly?

Cheers

Sq

2. atce4

atce4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what's so complicated about the John Lewis 'Never Knowingly Undersold' Policy? An LG DI-30LZ30 LCD TV was on display in Comets for £1199.....in JL it was £1695. They took a day to agree a pricematch (the only condition being that it was identical and in stock at that price at any UK shop. Today I took delivery of the LG TV, saved £500 in the process and still have the 5 yr warranty. Result! And the display looks and performs great.

As for dead pixels non observed. I'm sure you're more likely to get help from JL than an internet retailer in the event of a problem in any case.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    EXACTLY. Your money, your choice. Just don't expect JL to pricematch an internet-only price. They typically offer a much, much higher level of true customer care. You get what you pay for. Except (normally) at Com€t, Curry$, Dixon$ etc.

4. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah I agree with that so long as online stores aren't a lot cheaper of course.
    In this scenario, at present Comet are as cheap as any online stores so yeah anyone would be daft not to 'use' John Lewis because of their 5 year guarantee. I have always done this and will continue to do this for anything else too.
    I only use online store when they are much cheaper and then I buy seperate breakdown insurance for 5 years which is always cheaper than any stores equivalent:)