1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Pixel Policy: PC World/Samsung

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by KingSizeSlims, Oct 12, 2005.

1. KingSizeSlims

KingSizeSlims
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i hope someone can help me with this.
    I'm looking to buy a Samsung Syncmaster 910MP LCD TV from PC World, but i suddenly wondered what i should do if i am unlucky enough to find any dead or stuck pixels. Probably an age old question!!

Is it up to PC World or Samsung to say if i am entitled to a replacement and what are their policies??

Thanks in advance peeps!!

2. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    If you buy online you have a 7 day distance selling rule that is perfect for this sort of thing.

If you are unfortunate enough to have 1 or more dead/stuck pixels you can send it back.

I did this with a 42" plasma that had just one dead pixel, (not to mention the screen burn).

All you gotta say is you are not happy with it.

3. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    DONT BUY FROM PCWORLD!

I went to buy one a month or so ago (Yes im a fool but wanted to pick up an LCD there and then even with the extra 25% cost)

I asked them about their stuck pixel policy and they said it must have atleast 8 stuck pixels near the middle of the screen, i asked if i could look at a screen before buying it and they said no, so i walked out

EDIT: Pug72, did you get it replaced? what was the cost to you? and where from! lol

4. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Dont forget that under the distance selling rule they will charge you for returning the goods if not faulty. Normally around £50

5. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Samsung themselves have a zero dead pixel policy so PC world cannot change that.

6. remi

remi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have a link to Samsungs zero dead pixel policy. I would like to look at it as one of the LCD tv's I am interested in is the Samsung LE32R41BDX.

7. KingSizeSlims

KingSizeSlims
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so I asked the guy in PC World what their policy was and he spouted some gibberish about there beaing a 25 pixel minimum (regardless of screen size) before they would replace a monitor. So i asked if there was just one white pixel in the middle of the screen, i couldnt bring it back? He went and spoke to someone more senior and came back and pretty much said i have 7 days to bring it back for any reason (ie even if there's just 1 dead pixel) as long as the monitor and packaging are in pretty much perfect condition.
    So i purchased the Samsung 910MP and it seems i am lucky on the dead pixel front and i'm very pleased with my purchase.

8. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I bought an LG Flatron monitor from PC World, had it about 20 days and there appeared to be a problem with it.

Took it back to the shop where I purchased it from and they didn't want to know, I had to deal directly with LG :mad: :mad: :mad:

LG were brilliant by the way, sent me out a replacement screen within two days, but PC Worlds attitude sucked

9. Madshark

Madshark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a LE32R41BDX that had 2 x dead pixels and Samsung said they have a 3 x dead pixel policy. Luckily comet refunded it anyway.

10. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    I would like to know which pcworld that was, mine is a bunch of retards (dont know anything, but i think thats a dixons group policy) they insist that i cant see the screen before buying and it has to have lots of dead pixels before im allowed to return it

11. KingSizeSlims

KingSizeSlims
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Staples Corner in London, but to be fair they may have just said that so that i didnt walk out of the shop. I didnt see the actual screen before i bought it, just the display one.

12. Jakus

Jakus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Somebody Posted about the difference between the (think it was 26/32" ) samsung and the Cheaper new Model ( with out the Silver V bit at the bottom)...Sorry not up on all the Samsung numbers ! Well I had heard about the Zero pixel Policy but the poster Gave Links to the Pdf User Guides, which I looked at and for the new Tv near the bottom of the Doc It said "If you see different colour dots on the screen it's not a Fault". Struck me as a Dumb thing to write !
    Also Zero Dead Pixel Policy may mean Just that and not cover Stuck Sub pixels !

I know for me when I read that pdf I took the Samsung straight of my short List !

13. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Samsung offer a zero dead pixel policy on monitors, but not televisions. The reasoning is that you should not be able to see dead pixels on an LCD Television at normal viewing distances when watching regular content. (eg not test patterns to show it up)

14. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
  15. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
  16. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    I guess you will be taking all brands off your list then. I think you will be hard pressed to find any manufacturer who will replace a TV with dead pixels unless maybe if you have an absurd number of them. Sony for example has the same wording in the PSP manuals and I'm sure it applies to their TV's too. IK imagine all manufacturers have the same stance. Usually dead pixels are looked at on a case by case basis and unless it's a resious issue you probably won't have any recourse.

17. 3Dgeek

3Dgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been told from 2 Pc world employee's that they would exchange a *monitor* with a single dead pixel, don't know about Tv's though, i think there are much better places to buy a TV and computer gear for that matter ;)

Reuben

18. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    yup when going into a sony centre to buy a 5megapixel digicam upon asking they said "dont worry with a £250 camera if it has one dead pixel you can bring it back for an exchange, its only for our big screen plasmas/lcds that we cant swap them due to cost"

19. Jakus

Jakus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I must say this was the first time I have seen anything like that in any manual ! . It would make sense that Sony follows Samsung's lead as they use alot of Samsung panels,although you would think Sony would only take the better graded panels

It Is a real problem and having been around the loop with a laptop and Monitor before, I would now simply demand a refund without any mention of pixels on the 7day change of Mind (distant selling) deal.

20. egraphix

egraphix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    even though you get very very few samsung tft/lcds with dead pixels- samsungs dead pixel warranty covers 4-5dead pixels within a cluster (say a 2x2inch square on a 19" display)

The warranty is if you develope dead pixels -say a cluster of them (which is highly unlikely within the first month-28days) then they will swap/refund it for you (pcworld) if its a single pixle in a corner-they will swap it over for you for another one- after 28days- you have to go to the manufacturer to get it swapped over/repaired.

my local pcworld allows customers to look/view new tft/lcds for dead pixels before purchase-shame your locals stores are full of idiots.. :/