1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Pixel or not???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by johna, Jan 11, 2002.

1. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I currently have what I thought was a dead pixel, however after reading other threads I'm not sure now.

It resembles a splodge and is only visible in dark scenes. It increases/decreases in size when I move the lens.

It doesn't bother me as it isn't that big and no one else has commented on it.

But is it a dead pixel?

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance

John

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Johna

Does it come into focus when you adjust the imge out of focus? If it does the it could be dirt or muck on the lense. A can of compressed air may move it!

3. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No it doesn't

cleaned the lense and still there.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may be on the panel then, fingerprint of something. I would rather stick needles in my eyes than start touching the LCD panel.

Do you have a local service centre close by that can advise?

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    The technical term (!) splodge suggests that the problem covers an area which may be measured in cms rather than mms and is rather diffuse. Correct?

If you go near enough to your screen, you will be able to see the individual pixels on the picture, divided up by a grid of fine black lines. If your bright spot is exactly the same size and shape as one of these pixels, then you may have a bad pixel.

If, however, it is a larger, diffuse area, then it is almost certainly a dust particle in the optical path inside the projector. These can be removed by partly dismantling the machine and blowing it clean, WITH CARE, using an engineer's aerosol blower (buy it from Maplins).

In general, pixels rarely fail during use. Bad ones are there from new and can't be fixed. Dust, on the other hand, can accrue at any time, and the cure is relatively painless.

If you reckon it is dust, and you are concerned about a DIY cure, you could always get an engineer out.

6. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'll have to check

At the moment it's ok

I can hardley notice it, as long as it doesn't get any worse. It is under Guarentee but it's one of the famous Sony CX1's and they are now discontinued.

Although if it's ireparable I might get another better model!