1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Pixel on Toshiba 32WL48

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Elsie Dee, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Elsie Dee

Elsie Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one dead pixel on my Toshiba 32WL48. It is only noticeable within a few feet away so isn't seen during normal viewing.

Has anyone else with this model or any large LCD noticed any dead pixels on their screens? Would you send a set back if it wasn't perfect?

2. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had 3 LCD computer monitors (17", 19" & 21.3"), and they've all got 1 dead/stuck pixel. It's quite a common thing on LCDs, so I wouldn't bother sending it back. Chances are the replacement will have one too.

3. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit I have noticed one dead pixel on my Philips 37" - but it is not possible to see it until you're a couple of feet in front of the screen, and only then when you're looking for it. There's no guarantee that a replacement would be better. I imagine one dead pixel out of a million is probably within spec.

4. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Different manufacturers have different specs on dead/stuck pixels.

They tend to be better on TVs than monitors (you got more zero pixel policies). Some will be based on pixels dead on arrival and some based on them happening during your warranty and the only way to find out is to ask them.

Personally if the TV is still new I'd get it sorted. Once you know it is there it can drive you mad!

The value when reselling a TV or monitor on here is greatly reduced by dead pixels.

Cheers
    Marc

5. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    I have had dead pixels on three Toshiba 26WL46s.

My current one has got one stuck on green that only shows on black backgrounds within a couple of feet.

I came to the conclusion that I am best off keeping this one, because it is much better than the others I have had (one had 5 dead pixels).

I would be tempted to try a replacement, but see if you can get them to wait while you test it - bearing in mind that some will show up on different coloured backgrounds. This way you can keep the better of the two.

The main thing is not to let it ruin the enjoyment of your new LCD. I became too focussed on the dead pixel issue when I got mine a couple of weeks ago. It is annoying, but once it is up and running you don't even notice them - LCDs look bad close up anyway.

6. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I could see a bright pixel on a black screen, regardless of colour, I would definitely send it back. There is no way I could put up with it.

7. Elsie Dee

Elsie Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your views. This one is dark and only shows up on light backgrounds up to a few feet away. I will need to make a decision today.

8. Elsie Dee

Elsie Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those who viewed this thread earlier in the week may be interested to know that I have decided to return the TV because of the dead pixel. I was going to keep it but I found myself looking for the offending pixel everytime I turned the set on. Like Ucsmeg said, it could drive you mad!

I also looked at a whole load of LCDs in a department store and couldn't find any dodgy pixels on the display sets. I concluded that I shouldn't need to put up with it and rejecting such sets is probably the best way of encouraging manufacturers to improve design/processes/quality control, so all LCDs can one day soon be guaranteed fault free.

I found QED most helpful about it so I can continue to recommend them. They don't have any in stock but are going to reorder a replacement. Apart from that one little pixel, I and the family were really happy with the TV.

9. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Excellent! Glad you got it sorted.

These sets are too expensive to put up with anything less than perfect!

10. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    In the store it is often very hard to see a stuck pixel because the surrounding light is so bright.

I have one stuck on pixel on my 30WL46. It is towards the corner though and only at half brightness so you really do not see it at normal viewing distance unless you focus your eye towards the corner and look very carefully. I really can't justify sending it back for that.

I have always been unlucky with LCD screens. I am yet to own one that is perfect. I have had 2 Toshiba laptops, both with one stuck pixel. I have an Iiyama monitor with one stuck pixel. I have a Sony 11HT projector with 2 stuck pixels. I have a Viewsonic tablet PC with one stuck pixel.

It is very easy to become fixated on this and I have swapped a few things in the past only to have one that was even worse or the same.

Good luck in your swap!

Jonathan

11. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    I agree - I have not even noticed the one on mine for a few days now!

Good luck with the swap.

Jon - Where did you get the 30WL46 from? Does it have the dual component and DVI inputs?

12. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Sorry Jon - just read your comments on your other post!

13. Kev Hall

Kev Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got the sky pin code for the toshiba 30WL46 ??

Please Help ??
    Thanks
    Kev

14. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharp 45" : 2 million pixels, all alive and kicking. However I've suddenly got dozens out on this laptop which I've never noticed until 2 weeks ago. It 2 years old and I'm wondering if transporting on the back of my VTR1000 is doing it in.

Thus to avoid dead pixels I recommend not transporting your LCD screen around strapped to the the back of motorcycle!