1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Pixel on Panasonic TH42PV500

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Mike Rossi, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Mike Rossi

Mike Rossi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All.
    First post so be gentle!!
    Purchased a Panasonic TH42PV500 from Dixons online and after a couple of weeks noticed what I thought was a small fly on the screen mid-centre.
    Turns out this 'fly' is a dead pixel.
    Thinking that Dixons would just exchange as it was reported inside 28 days I phoned to be told that this is acceptable.
    Numerous phone calls later and I'm not any better off but I'll continue to press for what, I believe, should be a replacement or refund.

What's your views on this?
    Michael Rossi.

2. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A dead pixel in the middle of the screen is definately not acceptable... reject the goods as being of unsatisfactory quality & get a a replacement/refund.

There's a world of difference between accepting a dead pixel on a £200 monitor and one on a £2000 TV (even on the £200 monitors dead pixels are a rarity now.. the 'no replacement' policies are outdated since the manufacturing processes have improved greatly).

3. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I would try and find out all manufactures have a policy for LCD it is two or three for plasma I think it is one and u can get a replacement.

4. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I wouldnt accept this anyway If u havent had it long.

I would be going mad but thats me. :smashin:

5. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    oh what colour is it? that can make a difference

6. Mike Rossi

Mike Rossi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The colour seems Blue to me but the set just came back from the panasonic engineer today and he said it was dead and Panasonic referred me back to Dixons who say they won't exchange unless Panasonic give the go ahead - passed from pillar to post but this is just the beginning. I'm just getting geared up for a battle. One dead pixel on the most expensive piece of equipment I've ever bought is to much.
    Mike

7. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dixons are just stalling.. If the goods are unsatifactory (note the law doesn't actually require 'faulty' just substandard) then you have a right to a refund/replacement. Panasonic have nothing to do with it - your contract is with Dixons alone.

8. Mike Rossi

Mike Rossi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tony.
    That's the line I'll be following. Just waiting for Dixons head office to get in touch (today, hopefully) as the customer care/service? have washed their hands.
    This has severely dented my faith in Panasonic equipment and re-enforced my views on Dixons.
    Mike

9. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    search the internet there is a european standard for dead pixel's for screen's,it should say what is acceptable in terms of pixel loss,alot of store's don't accutally tell you but it dont matter if its a £200 lcd or £2000 lcd,the bad news is if its only 1 pixel then you dont have a chance of a replacement set im afraid :( the only chance you have is if they do it as a guester of good will,or hope more pixel's drop out,good luck

10. ArcticFox77

ArcticFox77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pff.............The reason i stayed away from Dixons :mad:
    I have got the TH37PV500 and it's amazing :D

11. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's an ISO standard not a european standard. 2 dead pixels per 1 million pixels. A 720x1280 display has less than a million pixels... that means it should have 2 or less dead pixels. That's a worst case. It's also not a legal document but a recommended standard (a magistrate will probably take it into account though amongst other things, like the fact that a TV is designed to be watched for many hours a day and an obvious dead pixel will definately make the experience worse).

A dead pixel on the edge or one that's stuck in a fairly neutral colour probably won't be a problem. One in the middle of the screen that's very obvious *is* a problem and is IMO is grounds for replacement.

The price is definately a factor - there is an expection of pay more -> higher quality and the courts do take that into account if it gets that far.

A good definition is on the BBC Watchdog site:
    "Satisfactory quality
    Goods will be of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory. It is a relative standard dependant on matters such as price and description. Aspects of quality include durability, safety, appearance, and freedom from minor defects."

There's no need to get legal though (it's a last resort as even small claims court can be messy), just stick to your case. You can go a long way by not taking any crap from them.

12. Mike Rossi

Mike Rossi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.
    I understand what your saying Kourosh but can't agree. I spent months looking at different plasmas/prices/quality and the Panasonic won hands down. This was a very special purchase for our family and I won't give in.
    Tony, I agree totally. My viewing pleasure has been diminished by a wee speck but I expected perfection at THAT price.
    Mike

13. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

hi mike :hiya:
    i was'nt trying to be negative but just giving you a retailer's point of view, i work for sony and we would have done the same as curry's.I do understand where your coming from,i wouldnt be happy either,im sure if you keep on at them for long enough they should give in its not panasonic you need to talk to its curry's them self as the contract was between you and them.I hope you get it changed good luck :smashin:

14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Would you be prepared to pay twice as much for a screen because the manufacturers have to scrap all the screens with a dead pixel ?

Even in the days of CRT screens, dead pixels were not unknown, just a little less noticeable.

15. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Mike,

If you dont mind me asking, how did you pay for the item? I would also not accept that.

16. Mike Rossi

Mike Rossi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the encouragement Kourosh :thumbsup: I'll certainly persevere.
    Hello Harry. It was paid on the net by credit card. A workmate mentioned that it may be a good idea to get in touch with the card company. I'll phone Dixons head office tomorrow and see what they have to say.
    Thanks,
    Mike

17. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    please keep us informed mike,and if there is anything i can do to help just ask ;) :thumbsup:

18. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike,

Then the legal contract is with you and the credit card company not with Dixons. You also have a legal right to reject the payment on your credit card based on the fact the the product is faulty. I'm sure this will be you best bet. Good luck.

19. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Mike...I bought a Panasonic portable dvd player a few months back and I had a red stuck Pixel in the middle of the screen....most bloody annoying...u cant help but be drawn to it....I took it back to Currys and after the shop consulted Panasonic the manager agreed to replace it. Panasonic told the store that there was a certain tolerence, that this thread mentions, to how many dead/stuck pixels are acceptable (in my opinion only zero is) but when the manager saw it he agreed with me it was not acceptable. I had the luxury of course of being able to take the thing back and argue the toss in store but like you I was going to dig my heals in if they didnt back down. I wish you the best of luck, wish I could be more helpful but other guys in this thread seem to be on the right track

20. televisionuser

televisionuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The problem with this is why should some people get the exact same TV free of dead pixels while others have to bear a fault that distracts from their viewing. Maybe the packaging on each indvidual TV should state how many dead pixels there are.

21. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

the screen shots shown here are a lot more serious than a dead pixel :eek: whats the point of these shots :confused: :rolleyes:

22. televisionuser

televisionuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thats just my sig updated for the thread on the tearing problems with the new samsung sets.

23. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +884
    Hi,

Did you actually buy it online?

Aren't there new 'Distance Selling' laws for purchases on the internet where you can reject the product for whatever reason after inspecting it?

Cheers

EDIT: link here

24. Mike Rossi

Mike Rossi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are breeding!!
    On returning the set the first time I asked the engineer about the contrast being so high (highest setting) and was told this was normal and on installation it was always set this high.
    On reading the pages here they recommend Halving the contrast and reducing colour/brightness. This I did, and lo and behold another 2/3 dead pixels.
    One in particular was bright yellow/white and very noticable.
    This has prompted me to refuse a replacement and go for a refund.
    This sorry episode has severely dented my enthusiasm/confidence in anything Plasma/Panasonic/Dixons (who now say 7 pixels is the accepted norm).

This second rate 42in piece of crap will not grace my house for much longer!!

Yes, I know, I am getting rather irate. Would you not?!!

Thanks for listening and its great to read your words of encouragement and advice.

Thanks
    Mike

25. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no dead/stuck pixels in a set of this quality is acceptable Mike...f*** em.....what pisses me off is that Dixons have turned you against what is really a great screen instead of replacing your screen with one that sings...

26. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    7 pixels acceptable? On what planet?

Since you paid by credit card you can send it back and get your money back that way (speak to the CC company first.. not sure of the procedure).

27. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    Ha ha, what a farce, just goes to show why id never buy from the dixons group, and from a previous comment il never buy from a sony store either.

you pay for every pixel, if a pixel isnt working why pay for it? if i buy a bag of hard gums i dont want one of them to be a manky infested one do i? i wouldnt accept that.

Trading standards are your friend, you are not getting the full pleasure from your product so you have the right to refuse it, im sorry but if i buy something that isnt second hand it HAS to be perfect

EDIT: Oh yea and id notify your credit card company as they may have a time limit for claims, but try to avoid claiming thru them, dont want to mess up your relationship thru them just cause of an arsehole shop lol remember you have upto 6 months to return a product thats faulty where its upto the shop to show it isnt.

manufacturing process or not, they still have to say the pixels are faulty, because if they arent faulty why dont all the other pixels work this way?

also theres a PSP trick to "re-awaken" dead pixels, might want to give it a try

28. diggler46

diggler46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    reawaken dead picels? tell us more...

hope you get this sorted chap. as far as Im concerned if they havnt perfected the manufacturer process then they shouldn't be selling um.

These are 2nd rate goods being sold at full whack. These companies are making millions already, they can afford to take the hit.

29. Mike Rossi

Mike Rossi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :suicide: Last news Diggler was on Friday. Contacted Dixons again they were going to speak to engineer again and said they would phone back - surprise, surprise - no call.
    I'll phone on Monday tea-time and after that it's credit company or Trading Standards (I'll try both).

I've calmed down over the weekend and will probably go for an exchange if the blood pressure does'nt get me first!! Dixons Customer Care? do your head in.

Thanks,
    Mike

30. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    If I ever got a dead pixel on a display like that and they wouldn't take it back, I'd probably find another way of breaking it to get a replacement. Devious, possibly wrong, and surely illegal, but to be 100% honest it's what I'd do.