1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Pixel on my Plasma..Please Help?!?!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by iss10, Nov 28, 2004.

1. iss10

iss10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Last night i noticed that i had an area on my screen which contained three "pixel" sized dots permanently changed color. One was red and the other two were green. They're quite small, so you can't seem them when sitting on the sofa (about 3.5 meters away), but when up close you can notice them.

I dont think i've burnt them, because they're so small i dont think i've had an image that small on the screen for a lond period!!

The screen i have is a Pioneer 43MXE1 connected via component from my Denon AVR3805 amp. I've had the plasma about 2 1/2 months and since then have kept the brightness, contrast and colour levels low. I've tried to prevent static images (e.g. Sky news) displayed for no longer than 10 mins.

I'm currently running screen management to try and get it back to the right colour !!

Can anybody help???? :lease:

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    If they are coloured green and red them they will be stuck. It's not the same as screen burn and there's nothing you could have done to stop it. On my first plasma (a Hitachi 42PD3000) I had one stuck red pixel but you could only see it close up with a white background so it didn't bother me.

It is possible that they might unstick but I wouldn't count on it. Given that there are only 3 and you can't see them from the viewing distance there's probably nothing you can do as the manufacturer will say that the pixels are within tolerance.

John

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Most plasma manufacturers specify the max acceptable number of dead or stuck pixels, and it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. With Hitachi, it's 3 (I know, because I own one, and I have one dead pixel on my screen), but I've heard that with some other manufacturers it can be as many as 8 !

I know it's hard to ignore them once you know they are there, but if manufacturers were to ship only 100% perfect screens, the price would rocket.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Now you're getting into the age old arguement of if we should accept that.

I for one don't want accept any defects.

If prices were to rocket because of it then plasma technology wouldn't last long in my books.

5. Angelis

Angelis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a slightly differenet note.

I purchased a Laptop from PC world that had 1 white dead pixel in the middle of the screen. For me, that detracted from the pleasure of using it, especially due to the location. They exchanged it for me.

If it's on the side and not noticable ....fair enuff. But if its constanly in your eyeI would ask for an exchange.

Besides you got nothing to lose.

You could also try your credit card company as well. If its Barclaycard, it should still be guaranteed. And if it is...you could always have an accident. :rolleyes:

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, it's in the Hitachi manual. Someone commented that Panasonic plasmas are allowed up to 8 dead pixels, where Hitachi allow a maximum of 3. Could this explain why Panasonic are cheaper than Hitachi ? Because their Quality Control is sightly lower? I did think about asking for a replacement, until I realised that I could be sent a TV with 2 or even 3 dead pixels, and would have no grounds to complain if Hitachi say that it is normal. One pixel on a 1024 x 1024 display isn't very noticeable.

7. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It just all depends on where you bought it from originally and how accomodating they are to you. If you would give them your future business then make a point about that.
    Personally I would be a bit peeved about any dead pixels.
    I hope you get it sorted mate.

8. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can't say that on here - wash your mouth out!

9. iss10

iss10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guy's. I've checked the Pioneer manual and doesn't mention anything about dead pixels....it only refers to them having no responsibility for burnt ones.

I got the plasma from Nexnix. I'll give them and Pioneer a call and see what they've got to say.

The pixels aren't noticeable.....but it still nags you, because you know its there !!

10. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    iss10, How old is the screen and did you get anywhere with this?

11. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    try dropping the screen onto the floor, it might unstick the pixels
    or it might destroy the screen, then you could claim for the accident on your insurance.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The dead pixel issue, hmmm. Actual pixel deaths allowed is a biit misleading, as it will vary by where they are situated as well as how many. That will be down to inspection by the appointed engineer to decide. It's been a long time since I saw one at all, last was on a Fujitsu 50 we ran for the customer to check. Never on a panasonic I have supplied, or a Pioneer, though you do hear of the odd one on Pnnys now and again. This is the 1st instance I've come across on a PIoneer.

13. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have one red stuck pixel just above to the left of the P on the Panasonic badge only noticable on white or green backgrounds, TBH until you lot mentioned it i had forgotten all about it, now i have to wait another 2 moonths to forget its there :mad:

Quattro

14. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    My Mate's Pio 434 has one. It only shows black and red (don't know if this count's as "dead" or just faulty as it shows one colour).

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Faulty or dead, we are splitting hairs. Very annoying on your 3k plus TV, I appreciate it would stick in anyone's throat. I've had 1 customer issue with this, had to refund him in the end, though when we got the screen back it had no dead or stuck pixels at all, rigorously checked with a PC and powerpoint blank slides.

16. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Sorry, wasn't trying to split hairs, just didn't know if they were treated the same so thought I'd be specific :)

I agree with you regarding the price factor: I know that it's said that the price would be prohibitive if they were all perfect but I still can't reconcile that with the fact that some end up with what can be an irritation. Every time I see his screen my eye ends up looking to see if I can see it from where I'm sitting. It's totally ridiculous but I can't seem to stop doing it.

17. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    In a manufacturers specification, it always tells you about the internal technology: Real Black Drive, Direct Colour Filter, Wega Engine, ALiS etc etc in great depth, but when it comes to the warranty, I have never noticed that much mentioned (actually, nothing at all) about how many of the full compliment of pixels should work at any given time.

When a resolution has been described as 852 x 480, 1024 x 768 etc, has anyone seen “Maximum possible”, “Could be less”, “In the region of” or “On a good day” preceding or following one of these figures?

I think that if a screen is sold with, for example, 852 x 480 pixels stated in the manufacturers specification, then that’s what it should have working correctly when delivered and for the guarantee period. This should be the case until such time as manufacturers cover themselves by clearly stating tolerances for everyone to see and compare in their glossy brochures and websites. This should clearly state what the manufacturer considers to be an acceptable pixel failure level in terms of a newly delivered product and for the warranty period. If they don’t state this, a screen should be replaced without question if it has a pixel fault(s).

Manufacturers slipping a comment in the screen handbook (obviously only to be seen after the purchase) along the lines of “There may be permanent darks areas or permanently bright areas of the screen – this is not a fault” simply isn’t good enough.

18. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30

19. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A couple of glasses of wine often helps :)

I have a dead blue pixel near the top of my Hitachi 5300 screen. I do notice it occasionally in scenes where there is a blue skyline, but thankfully because the 5300 is a 1024 x 1024 screen, the pixel size is slightly smaller, so it's not quite as noticeable.

Hitachi stipulate a maximum of 3 dead/stuck pixels before rejecting a screen. Panasonic users have said that Panasonic allow up to 8. Could this be the reason why Panasonic are cheaper, because they reject fewer screens ? If all screens with more than one dead/stuck pixel were rejected, I fear this could push prices back up again.

P.S. The good news with plasmas is that pixels that do work from new don't often fail until the screen is reaching the end of its useful life. Not so with LCD, where a pixel can (and quite often does) fail during the early life of the screen.

20. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Question:When do manufacturers clearly stipulate the levels of faulty pixels for screen rejection?

Answer (unless someone can tell me different): After the sale.

21. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Depends on how thoroughly you research before you buy. With Hitachi, you can download the manuals from their website, and I did this, so I was aware. The manual does not exactly stipulate how many pixels are allowed to be missing, it just says that a few dead or wrong colour pixels is/are normal, and not a fault.

All this is nothing new. Dead pixels occur on CRT's, and have occured on CRT's ever since the shadow-mask was invented, and manufacturers also have their own stipulations for the number of dead ones allowable.

22. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Nick_UK, not everyone has access to a website.

Surely consumers shouldn't have to "research" what they are going to buy for small print that isn't available with the usually fairly comprehensive item description? I am certainly not saying that research isn't a good thing; I think that these tolerances should be clearly stated at the point of sale, i.e. in the item description.

With manufacturers it's obviously all about profit and if they can "get away" with not replacing a screen, they will.

I (and so does UK law) still maintain that an item should be as described.

23. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    ... and where does the product description say that all 1.5 million pixels will work ?

If you're spending £2000 on a TV, if you've got any sense, you do research. And please don't give me that "Not everybody has access to the internet" rubbish, even the one-horse town that I live in has a public library with a dozen public-access internet terminals.

24. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    You've got to be joking!!

Do you work for a plasma screen manufacturer or retailer by any chance?!

25. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    No, I do not. I just live in the real world, Steve.

26. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Nick, everyone has the right to choose the level of defects on a new item that they feel happy with.

You may be ok with a few defects on your new gear and maybe a lot of the UK public feel like this. General Shankey on the other hand won’t accept any defects, which I can fully understand if you’re not buying graded stock.

I do live in the real world and understand that nothing is perfect. In the case of a plasma screen for £1,000 – £5,000 or more; a small mark out of sight is one thing, part of the screen being defective is another.

If you are happy with a pixel or more defective on a new screen, then I’m happy for you. I would however suspect that most members would expect the full complement of working pixels on their new plasma screen.

27. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have to agree with Steve on this one. No-one should be hassled into having to 'research' a new purchase on the internet. Some of my friends dont touch computers ever.
    It should definately be stressed at the point of sale. How many of us have ordered plasmas/lcds and been told when we ordered how many dead pixels are acceptable (or even anything about dead pixels!!)
    I bet not many of us, if any.

28. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, I've been doing some research on this. It seems that most manufacturers regard dead pixels as normal, but the number that are tolerated varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Also, some manufacturers will only accept a pixel as dead if all three colours are dead, and not just one or two (which lets mine out, because mine only malfunctions on blue).

I know that Hitachi set the limit to 3, as long as they are on the periphery of the screen and not in the centre. Someone on these forums said that on Panansonic it was 8, but they are wrong. In fact, Panasonic only allow a 0.002% failure.

"Ahh, that's OK then"

Well actually, it's not. A typical 42" 1024 x 780 screen has around 800,000 pixels, and 0.002% of 800,000 is 15 pixels. So your beloved Pannie could lose 15 pixels during the warranty period, and Panasonic don't have to do anything at all about it !

Come on, own up - how many people asked about the dead pixel policy before they bought their plasma ?

29. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Why the hell should we have to ask, we should be TOLD.

30. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just joining this and while I admit that 0.002% sounds very small, I don't think I'd be happy with 15 dead pixels on a £2.5k machine...

Not sure that I'd be happy flying on an airliner with infinitely more components than a plasma screen where ANY components weren't working.