1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead pixel advice

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by rbl, Jan 19, 2005.

1. rbl

rbl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!
    I'm totally new to the LCD scene, my Sony 100Hrz flat screen has been a trusted companion in long movie night sessions but its Rhinoceros size has dictated its fate and I've bought a Sharp LC26GA3.

Lately I've been reading a lot of posts about dead pixels on this forum. Some people send their LCD tvs back, some don't, some go through 2 or more replacements units till they got one in perfect conditions, etc.

I'm a bit anxious about this matter because I've bought the last unit on stock at my favorite online shop. If I send it back, there is no guarantee that they can replace with the same model (now discontinued by Sharp) or for the GA4 (sold out and also discontinued). The G5 seems to be a big step down the ladder.

Using common sense, seems stupid to send back a unit if I have one or a couple of unnoticeable dead pixels but what do you think? How many dead pixels are acceptable? Does this problem aggravate with time?

Thanks for your time! =)
    Ricardo

2. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Depends on personal preferance, i paid nearly a grand for a TV so wanted it in perfect condition when it arrived (not too much to ask for surely?), i got one in the end, and i would do the same again if i bought another

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    If you don't see them, then either there aren't any, or they don't matter. If you do, use your 7 days DSR rights to get a refund, then start over.

4. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    by all means be fussy, your paying for something it HAS to be perfect, esspecially when we are talking in the thousands.

people that refuse anything less than perfect (Me included) push the boundaries with the manufacturers, its only because we refuse a 5grand tv with 1 dead pixel that manufacturers have tightened their belts to bring us flawless displays

5. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    So, what if I get a 32GA3 and find enough dead pixels to warrant sending it back. Becuase they are discontinued, would I be able to say to them replace the panel or will the tv be sent back ?

Richie.

6. rbl

rbl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your opinions, folks!
    After some complications my sharp will finally arrive tomorrow... crossing my fingers =)

7. rbl

rbl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's here, looks fine, no dead pixels so far =)

8. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    dead pixels are rare... but if you look close with a black background there are almost always some hotpixels. I hate dead and colour pixels but hotpixels are common...

I had a GA4E and two GD1E and all of them had hotpixels but I could see them only from a very short distance. from about 1-2m they are invisible. There can be hotpixels that can be spoted from 3m and more and I wouldn't accept a screen with some of them but if I can't see them I don't care.

I gave up to get a perfect LCD because there are none and pixel are dying anyway in time...

9. rbl

rbl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    McE, with a dead black screen I don't see any at a close range (< 1m) but being obsessive as I am, I won't look closer than this because if I found one, I won't enjoy a minute of my new TV knowing that it's there and it's watching me ;)

10. Starvald

Starvald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To see a dead pixel you need to be close.... my monitor has one, but small flecks of dust on it are more noticable.

To check, you'll need something to output a full white screen to the telly. Then you can go through the complete red, green and blue screens. Sometimes you get stuck pixels (or sub pixels) and they'll be stuck on a colour.

I think a dead pixel is better than one thats stuck.....

Sometimes stuck pixels unstick, and there are reports of people regenerating/activating them by gentle massage around them (gentle, mind)

I was gutted when I found my monitor had a dead pixel, but I only notice it if I look for it, and even then only when it's on pure white.... During games etc, it's all but unnoticeable.

Luckilly, my 9986 has no dead or stuck pixels/subpixels