1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Pixel Acceptable or Not ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by skunk123punk, Feb 28, 2005.

1. skunk123punk

skunk123punk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I know this has been covered in other threads but I would like your straight to the point opinion re my situation. I have just received a new LG RZ-42PX11 ordered from Comet on-line and I’m well impressed by the Plasma, the only downside is that there is a dead Pixel located in the bottom right (as viewed from the front) of the panel. The dead pixel is only noticeable when the background is white/bright colored but because I know it’s there I am focused on the damn thing almost all the time I’m watching TV and when using the PC on the plasma, it is very noticeable. My kids and misses can’t see why I’m bothered buts seeing as I have just paid out nearly £1500 for this panel do you think I should be concerned enough to log this with comet as a fault and if I do will they do anything about it (as it’s only 1 pixel). Or should I just live with it. I can say that I watched the carling final today without even managing to spot the dead pixel (although I was sat further away than normal). Am I just being over picky as it’s new?

Please let me have your opinion, I’ll draw my conclusion from this.

Thanks

Skunk :confused:

2. neal666

neal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would take it straight back and dump it in the shop and demand a replacement.. i "think" if you have a dead pixel its a auto replacement anyway as it cannot be fixed.. :lesson:

i would not put up with it at all. afterall you would not buy a brand new car with a smashed window would you?
    (little extreme i know but its the same diffrence!)

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sorry guys, read the book. LG has a pixel policy, you need to have about 10 before they will consider a replacement. You might of course be able to bamboozle the shop as they may not be clued up on this. The pixel issue is described as a 'feature' of plasma technology, it is actually surprisingly rare, but the do not guarantee a perfect screen. The car analagy would be better if it was a chip in the paint.

4. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That might be a valid argument if it was brought to their attention before the sale took place.

Manufacturers having a figure for pixel failure as part of their warranty cannot reduce a customers statutory rights.

If i pay huge money for a consumer product I expect it to work perfectly for at least a reasonable period !

If plasmas were sold with a big sign on them saying that not all pixels may work then it may be a different story - somehow I can't see manufacturers or retailers doing that.

Anyone who buys a plasma and it has even a single defective pixel from new then I'd encourage immediate rejection and demand a full refund or replacement. If the retailer refuses then take it up with credit card issuer (never buy with cash).

Of course if you are happy to live with it then so be it. I know it would annoy the hell out of me.

5. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Hi

What the manufacturer may or may not claim is irrelevant in this case.

The unit was bought on line and the customer has the right to return it for a full refund within seven days and doesn't even need to state a reason.

If you're not happy with it, and it is still within seven days, you must immediately exercise your rights under the Distance Selling Act. Don't delay or you will be stuck with it.

The car analogy doesn't make sense either. If my brand new car had a chip in it, I'd expect it to be repaired and wouldn't sign to accept the goods until it was fixed. This is the whole point the distance selling act exists - it's to protect consumers from problems that arise from buying something sight unseen.

Steve

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There's always a chance that the replacement might have 2 dead pixels. Then you can't say that you weren't aware of the policy, because you've already discussed it. All manufacturers have this policy - with Panasonic you can have up to 10 on some screens (depends on resolution).

Guys, if you think your plasma isn't going to lose a pixel or two over the next 5 years, I would send it back and go for a CRT :suicide:

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Distanc eseeing regs are seriously useful. That is the way forward, I hadn't spotted the on line bit. This never happens to me as I install all but 1 or 2 screens I supply, so if there's a dead pixel it's sorted out then and there. I do have a notice up about pixels inthe office, and often discuss it with clients in depth. There is no backup from the makers on this, sometimes I wonder why I bother to sell them with so little margin. The smallest thing going wrong and I have to sell 50 to make up the profit.

8. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    MAW,

I know how much it sucks being a reseller. I wouldn't have advised the DSR route if the customer had bought the plasma from one of the smaller chaps. However as it's Comet, I don't think anyone will care?

Steve

9. skunk123punk

skunk123punk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for your advise, I've logged a callout with comet, an engineer is coming out to take a look. Guess it's down to what he decides though.

Cheers again

Skunk

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Skunk, if they see it and are asked to judge, they will tell you what to do with your complaint, and it's dangerously close to the scent glands. You've just got to reject it if you want to get anything done.

11. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a two and half year old panasonic 42PWD4 and its not ever had a dead pixel and hasnt developed any over the time I have had it. Its used about 6-8 hours a day (girlfriends at home with our 6month old...)

So if you want quality then I would recommend not touching LG if it has a faulty pixel from new whats gonna happen in the future....

12. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Skunk.

How long have you had it? If it's less than seven days, I would suggest you exercise your rights under the DSA.

The Comet "engineer" is most unlikely to find in your favour...

Steve

13. skunk123punk

skunk123punk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks guy's,

Your advice is much appreciated. I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again

Skunk

14. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JiMbOb_74 other plasma screens have dead pixels also. Maybe more rare then it use to but EVERY manufacturer has them.

Hope you don't get more pixels next time but if you do what are you going to do?

It is in the consumers interest to do some research before buying anything imo. If you don't know and the information is available online quite easily then you are wanred.

LCD's also suffer from dead pixels.

Koing

15. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    No one is disputing this. The question is would you want them on a brand new, one day old panel?

And would you put up with them if you had a mechanism under which you could return the panel?

16. pajare

pajare
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought an NEC VM5 from Nexnix a few weeks ago and that had a faulty (flashing ) pixel, and NEC ( Via Nexnix ) swapped it out without hesitation.
    Needless to say my new one is perfect and just nicely run in ( 220 hrs ).

Regards--------Will

17. skunk123punk

skunk123punk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Good news, the comet engineer was really understanding and very helpful, he almost immediately ordered me a replacement which was delivered today (Sunday). Checked for dead pixels and found none. Also Panel is dated 2004.12. (previous panel was 2004.11)

Well chuffed now.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Skunk

:thumbsup:

18. dubledene

dubledene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can we see a pic of pixel?screen??

19. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is an official ISO regulation covering dead pixels on TFT monitors and similar for plasma displays...

Regrettably, its a 'feature' and you're lucky if you can find a retailer who will knowlingly accept it, as theyll have to explain to the distributor why they are returning it, and they wont be so forgiving I can tall you..(voice of experiance!)

I think its ISO 13406 or soemthing like that...

A bummer, but a teeth-clenching moment if you have a dead pixel as per new...

20. skunk123punk

skunk123punk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    In a word, no, the screens gone back now.

Skunk