1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Phosphors on Loewe Aconda

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by abc, Mar 22, 2003.

1. abc

abc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Believe it or not, I have now had three replacement Aconda tvs with dead phosphors. The first two tvs had a small black dot about 10 cm from the centre of the screen. The third tv has a thin diagonal black line, about 2 mm in length, at the bottom of the screen.

These are either minor phosphor or shadow mask imperfections in the Philips tube which are visible about three feet from the tv and look like specs of dirt. After three tvs, I can only conclude that Loewe's QC isn't as good as it should be. :thumbsdow

Has anyone experienced similar problems with Loewe tvs? Is this a common problem with Philips crts or other makes? Should I reject the third tv and get a Sony instead?

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Very strange - I've never came across this type of problem before on Loewe TV's (or any TV for that matter) :confused:.

3. Isidro_Jose

Isidro_Jose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you give us any more datail of your inbelible history,
    I think that nobody who owns a loewe set thinks in changing it for a sony nodays check previus threads.

4. abc

abc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What other details do you want to know?

It's possible that I've hit a "bad batch" of Acondas with very minor tube imperfections which, IMO, is inexcusable given the price of these tvs.

As far as Sonys are concerned, I expect that the quality of the Trinitron tube is at least as good as Philip's Cybertube and certainly better than the imperfect Philips tubes I've had in my Acondas.

Has anyone had similar problems with Sony tvs? what is the level of acceptable tube imperfections from any manufacturer?

5. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Acondas are not always perfect. I swapped my own Aconda for another back in 01 because of poor impurities which could not be degaussed away and a lack of decent convergence at the extreme side of the full 16:9 picture. Certainly, abc, you are right to say that quality control is not necessarily what the price might lead one to expect. I recall hearing (Linn advice line?) that Loewe reject a significant proportion of the tubes supplied by Philips. And at one point were using Toshiba tubes instead. Given our Aconda experiences this clearly holds out little hope of consistent quality for the Philips punter!!

But as the substantial file of posts here shows Loewe problems are few and far between compared to some. And here's the rub - even my flawed first set delivered a picture which imo outclassed all the Sonys, Tosh's and Pannies I spent many moons evaluating. Everyone comments favourably on the picture quality.. which, frankly, eats my neighbour's 100hz Sony for breakfast...... and unlike the Sony, it even delivers half-decent geometry. This last seems to be a Loewe norm - something which definitely cannot be said for Sony.

6. abc

abc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not expecting a perfect tv at any price, but I do not expect quality control problems in a £1500 tv that probably do not even exist in a £500 tv. My experience with three Acondas, so far, strongly suggests that Loewe do not get the best philips tubes.

However, it is not all Philip's fault. My Second Aconda would sometimes switch on from standby with a garbled orange red screen which could only be corrected by switching off the tv at the mains. It seems that getting a good Loewe is largely dependent on luck.

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You have been very unlucky but this is an extremely rare event. Loewe must have had a bad batch though this doesn't excuse their quality control.

I wouldn't suggest getting a good Loewe is down to luck - more of the norm - though not in your experience.

8. abc

abc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll soon know how unlucky I've been, if I decide to get a fourth Aconda. :suicide: