1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dead Philips Q50 - replacement needed!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bravo Brooks, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Bravo Brooks

Bravo Brooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Q50 has frozen (mains power but won't respond to any buttons). Have been told it will cost £100 plus to repair so 'uneconomical'.

It cost £250 a couple of years ago and had a wicked picture (better than my Panasonic E85 recorder) and I'd like to replace it, but I'm not sure how much things have moved on in the last couple of years.

Basically, would a current 'budget' model outperform my Q50 (eg Denon 1710?) or will I have to spend a lot more than that? Advice appreciated.

2. DarrenH

DarrenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    To be honest, I have a Q50, which has an excellent picture. I now use my Toshiba X32 recorder which is on a par with the Q50, for convinience (Not too many units on the rack). I am not sure whether it is worth paying another £100 ish for a new player that probably will not outperform your recorder. However, if you must spend, there are some good threads to read, especially the 'Monster Head2head' one, which reviews several budget units.

The Tosh 340 comes out well for £70, or I could sell you my old Q50! :laugh:

3. Bravo Brooks

Bravo Brooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I'll give Philips a miss for now as the build quality of the Q50 was crap!
    Checked out that Monster head2head - good stuff.

I think I'll probably end up spending a bit more than originally intended in order to get the PQ, build etc I need.

Cheers.