1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Philips CD723

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by rct, Aug 4, 2003.

1. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought a CD723 for my brother's birthday last year. 1 year and 2 months after I bought it it has decided to croak it! :mad: I really would like to get it sorted out for him which is where you learned folks come in...

The player will begin to play the CD perfectly, at an indeterminate point interference can be heard which sounds like static at a seemingly random further point the player will stop. The track display will show the track no. and time of "freeze" The player will eventually return to the display of the number of tracks on the CD and its total time. In this state, the player will refuse to play any track at all until the CD has been ejected and reinserted. This behaviour is present with all audio CDs and the point where it plays up is ramdom.

I have tried leaving it unplugged overnight and checked its innards are clean (they were in pristine, like new condition).

Today I took it to Richer Sounds where they told me that they could either:

a. Send it to London for diagnosis (£35) they'll then phone me with a quote for repair. If I decide to go ahead, the warranty on the repair is 90 days :rolleyes: If I decide to leave it they'll give me £17.50 of the £35 back towards a new player.

b. Sell me a new player.

The situation has got me very annoyed. In the UK our statutory rights allow us to sue a retailer up to 6 years following purchase. In this case it would be on the basis that a CD player ought to last more than just over a year. Problem is, once court costs are factored in (you can't sue for those) I might as well get a new player.

So does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with the machine and/or what to do?

Thanks in advance.

:confused:

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well it was a long shot anyway... thanks to all of you who viewed the post. The dead player has now been replaced with a DVD player seeing as it was only being used as a transport anyway. :)