1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Panasonic Plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by poda, Jul 24, 2004.

1. poda

poda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

this afternoon a black strip appeared stretching halfway down my PW4 and three inches or so across.

The question is, is this the end so to speak? Seems fairly unreasonable for a set to die after less than tw o years and only about 1000 hours of use.

Any guidence appreciated.

2. YahooSerious

YahooSerious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not a normal end of life as far as I know, as most sets will fade gradually. With only 1000 hours, I would bet its some component thats died, and not the screen itself.

Maybe ring up Panasonic and hear what they have to say about it? It should have a fair amount of life left if its fixable.

-Yahoo

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Is the bar running vertically, from the top to the bottom of the screen? About 1 1/2" wide? If it is then you have a dead plasma...

4. poda

poda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi smurfin,

It run's vertically from the top to half way down and is about 2 1/2 in wide?

If it's screwed, any ideas on the cause - the damned thing has hardly been used, set to low contrast settings, and really stinks if it's died. I'm all for fair wear & tear, but if this were in a living room, it would have done this amount of hours in about 8 months!

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    best contact panny service and get it inspected then mate

6. poda

poda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have had it checked out and it's deceased!

Great isn't it, you spend £3.5K and get just over 1000 hours out of this Panasonic product. That's more expensive than going to the cinema!

I just hope that anyone reading this, and considering the purchase of a Plasma, pauses for thought and makes sure they get at least a five year guarantee when making their purchase.

I for one will be going back to CRT.

7. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    That's bad luck m8, but you must appreciate it's a freakish event, could of happened to anyone, I'm sure they're are PW4 owners that have had their screen for years and use it all the time without fault.

I can understand going back to CRT for financial reasons, or if you decided you don't use the screen enough to need such a big size. But to go back to CRT because of a freak event is a little harsh. What happens if your CRT has a faulty component and dies in under 2 years also? Will you be so harsh of CRT? What will you move to then, a radio?!

Did Panasonic give any indication as to a reason for the failure? User error? Faulty Component? It may be likely that it's one of those things that occasionally go wrong in production, it could of been a fault always waiting to happen, maybe if you had got more use from it the error would of showed itself within the warranty period.

I have two words for you m8, two words that you must always consider when buying something like a Plasma - Extended Warranty! Hell you can get at least 2 years by buying it on any major credit card!

I'm not being funny m8, I know what it's like, my Pioneer 2011 has developed a fault just 14 days after the warranty has expired! I didn't get an extended warranty and didn't at the time know my credit card gave free ones! However if it is FUBAR, then I would be annoyed maybe, I would kick myself for not getting an extended warranty, but I would take it with a pinch of salt, buy a new 7.1 Receiver and move on. I certainly wouldn't move backwards to a stereo amp and recommend everyone pauses for thought before buying a home cinema system...

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    That is bad news Poda, hope something works out for you. Why not try giving Panasonic major ear ache, as it really should last a bit longer than that ?

As for credit cards, the 2 year warranty that they offer will exclude things like Plasmas. So you're only option would be the extortionate Extended Warranty or to buy from JL's.

9. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Actually that's not true. I rang Nationwide (my credit card provider) to ask if "extended warranties for selected gas & electrical products" included Plasma screens. They checked on their computer and said they offer a full one year extended warranty for all plasma screens up to the value of £3500, with an option to buy a further 2 years at the end of that period at a discounted rate!

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Wow that's good , better get a Nationwide credit card ! My Natwest and Barclaycard don't cover that sort of product. So I guess it differs card to card, worth checking out though ?

11. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I had a Philips 32" wide screen CRT that had the tube go in just over two years. The engineer said that it was common place on large CRT's. I didn't take out an extended warranty.
    However having paid £1200 for it I complained to Philips stating that this was not reasonable, and without any fuss they supplied a new tube free of charge, I just had to pay £90 to have it fitted.
    I have since bought a Pannasonic 37"PE30 again no extended warranty, fingers crossed.

12. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've just rang and taken out my warranty and it was an even better deal than I thought!

They insure Plasma TV's for 1 year after the manufacturers warranty expires up to the value of £4500! If it breaks they will send an engineer out to fix it, if they can't they will give me an equivilant model!

But the best bit is you get quoted straight for the cost to extend your extended warranty, and get this it's for a further 3 years, and you don't have to pay for it until after year 2!

The cost if I decided to take it would be £450 to cover it until July 2009!!! :clap:

Also worth noting that in 2 years I can decide to sell it and not have to "waste" money paying for a warranty, or decide that the cost to buy one new is cheap enough to sell my current and put the £450 towards a new one or if I think I'm going to be keeping it pay the £450 in 2006, which will be even more of a bargain after 2 years of inflation and pay rises!

So thats a total of 5 years warranty for £450 extra :smashin:

13. Dulux

Dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Poda,
    Listen, sell those bloody coffins and you can then think about a Viera!!!!

14. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I agree with the above comments. If your service menu confirms that you only have a 1000 hours use, then complain to Panasonic. This is well short of their predictions, and rediculous on a set of that value. Consider legal advice if they dispute - there are lots of solicitors around these days who give free first appts, etc.

15. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    You can complain that such an early catastrophic fault is proof that the item was either not of merchantable quality or not fit for it's purpose. You have basic common law rights in addition to any contractual warranties.
    Threaten them with a County Court claim on the above basis and let the forum know what the response is.
    Note that your claim is against your supplier not the manufacturer. The supplier has a claim against whoever supplied to him.

16. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Speak to your supplier to see how they can help and if they can contact Panasonic on your behalf. If not helpful then speak to Panasonic yourself, try to get through to the technical team and not just customer services.

Polite and firm usually does the trick, threats and abuse will most likely get you a rebuff. Seeing as your plasma is out of warranty obligation right now, it's best to be tactful about the whole approach.

If this fault has been a documented ocurrence and common on similar panels then manufacturers usually will do something about them outside of warranty but they don't go advertising that fact.

Fingers crossed something works out for you :thumbsup:

17. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I know who Poda is, but who is dulux? Must be a ZG regular.

Having heard said coffins, sadly a Viera would be a rather poor replacement.

18. Dulux

Dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Poda, is a friend of mine and was actually best man at my wedding (still haven't recieved a wedding present).

The Coffin comment refers to his ridiculously large speakers currently occupying 95% of his living room!

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    'polite and firm usually does the trick'

Ekko Star, I would enjoy doing business with you, you are 100% right from a retailer point of view. All this banging on about legal action before the poor supplier has actually said the words 'on your bike' seems rather premature. We are all open to discussion, we are not 'The Enemy', just human beings. (well not in my case of course) Nothing is more likely to make them dig in their heels than ranting about legal action in the 1st instance.

20. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    MAW, I see both sides of the coin as a close friend of mine owns half the stores on Tottenham Ct Road. Sometimes when I'm there I see people come in, at times common courtesy and manners don't seem to exist in that part of the world. You wonder why they don't get a 'result' and get all irate about it.

Treat people like human beings and they'll usually treat you the same way back is what I was taught. Some of the lines retailers trade in have razor thin margins and you wonder what's the point for all the effort, and then somebody comes in with a return along with a vendetta against you......it's not the one is it really ?

21. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I know, I have heard them! Bloody good they are too. :)

22. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    No offence intended, MAW. I took it from the tone of the original poster that they had already sought a remedy from Panny or the retailer, with no success. I certainly would have gone down that road on a purchase on that value, after so little use.

As for the tone used, I agree entirely that 'polite but firm' is the way to go. Usually works for me. I also respond better to this in my own professional dealings. Ranters and ravers get shown the way to the exit!

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No offence is taken, my metal skin is quite thick. But I feel obliged to point out that this forum is run for the benefit of you guys, the enthusiasts. But us pros contribute a lot of time, Joe, Liam, myself and others, yet we still get posts basically saying 'lets GET the retailers, they shouldn't make a profit. I can tell you my broadband would go if my business dies, no more forum for me.

24. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm sure I speak for all most "home" forum users when I say we appreciate the job that you (and joe etc.) do on this forum MAW.

Every consumer is after the best deal that they can (I'm a few weeks away from my plasma purchase) - but the "reasonable" out there realise that if you bite the hand that feeds, then who is going to advise us without getting all "salesman-y" on us? :)

Keep up the good work all you guys who post (when they don't have to).

ZedZed

25. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Stirred up a bit of a reaction there by giving legal advice!
    I thought the original poster had already tried the friendly approach which is always best in first instance.
    A threat of legal action helps the supplier get more cooperation from his supplier or the manufacturer if the threat is passed down the line.

26. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, Stephen, Poda at no time speaks of a conversation with the retailer concerned. You simply made the assumtion the retailer would be unhelpful without threars of legal action, just like in 3 other posts I can recall. You are a solicitor, correct? You have offered to do free threatening letters for a member before he actually needed them. The same situation in fact, ie waving threats before actual non-co-operation, that is my point. Still, I suppose you are only doing the same as me, basically making your sevices known!! (I'd stick in a grin at this point but I have a problem loading the page correctly, please assume a sense of humour exists) But personally if I were unnecessarily threatened with legal action I would feel inclined to do the legal minimum I could get away with, and think the guy to be a bastard, rather than 'going the extra mile' to see him happy. It is totally counter-productive until other means have failed.

27. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    OK guys, I think we're going a bit down the wrong road here. Just one thing point I'll make in my defence - the original poster definitely said that he'd had his dead plasma "checked out" to find out it was dead. Assumed that meant he'd had an engineer from his retailer to look at it. Could have been someone else's engineer of course, but I was more concerned that he was getting advice to give up on his prize purchase before even asking for it fixing!

Anyway, I'm going off to look at some other threads now. Hope this guy gets his problem sorted. :hiya:

28. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    If it gets as far as the forum I assume other methods have failed. I do not see why pointing out a member's legal rights over and above the warranty should be objectionable given that members seem to think that the warranty terms are the only protection there is.
    Offering to send a letter if necessary cannot be objectionable in itself. I thought I was being helpful. It is up to the aggrieved party to decide when or if such a letter should be sent.
    I am puzzled that MAW seems to be taking this personally. I am of the opinion he is a 'good guy' but seems sensitive on this issue.
    MAW, Can we resume our friendly relationship?

29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Stephen, it's your constant readiness to head down the legal road that bothers me. I'm with the bard on this one, God forbid my son becomes a lawyer!

30. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I answered a call for help and duly provided some. I note the dealers' anxiety about the 'legal road'.
    Dissatisfied consumers can draw their own conclusion!
    Unfortunately people do need help from lawyers.That is why I became one.
    God forbid my son becomes a trader who has contempt for the law and lawyers.