1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead iPod replacement?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by braehead, Jun 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My iPod has just died! Boo hoo. 40G non-click model. Died two days after the warranty ended!!

Keep getting the folder / exclamation mark icon indicating disk read error. Found a link from this forum on what to try. Re-booted, re-loaded, re-formatted. It teased me a bit by letting me think it had worked. Even let me re-load all my songs back onto it. Then it died again!! Looks like the general consensus is "return to apple". But given it is now out of warranty I'm kinda quids out.

So, what to replace it with?

Having gone through Gatwick the other week I took a look at the Sony NW-HD5 30GB special. It was so small and light and looked the dogs! I'm sure, from memory, the Dixons airport shop price was under £200 as well.

My concern though is can I copy all the stuff I've got on iTunes over to the Sony. I've bought a few things from iTunes too so want to make sure they will copy over too rather than having to burn them and copy them again. I know some folks with earlier Sony products and they've said that compatability is a nightmare. I think they have been talking about from Sony to other devices though.

Why not another iPod? Well, from looking on the forum about the problem I've had with mine it would seem that it is actually very common. I've loved it. It was my first MP3 player and I've used it almost every day since I got it. I just think there are better players out there now that are going to be more reliable than this one.

Any ideas / help :lease:

2. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Typical huh 2 days after warranty ending ....

I have no experience of using an ipod so cannot help there but this thread may be of use to you if you decide to change .....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221325

3. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it definiately not the battery? If the battery is defective, then it is not too difficult to change the battery (£30 -3gen ipod)).
    If the hard disk has gone, then I guess that's it, but apple should be generous. But I have my doubts
    If it is something else, the check out this site and forum www.eupod.com.
    Having said that, I know the iriver is good (music and pcitures/videos). Of course you can upgrade the software on the iriver, but I'm unsure that you can upgrade the software on the ipod. Of course, you can upgrade itunes, but that isn;t your problem.

Anyway, good luck. Keep us posted on what you do.

4. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for those replies. You can update the operating system on the iPod by going to the Start menu on windows, choose iPod and then run the iPod updater. Gives you the option to update or restore. There is a fairly convoluted process, ran it in both standard mode and disk mode. Neither ultimately worked as I still get the error.

Sometimes it will loop a couple of times and then the menu will come up. It will even let me start to listen to some tracks. Unfortunately when I then go to change track it has the error again.

The battery seems fine. Charged it from the mains and it took a full charge.

I've been very happy with the iPod over the year I've had it and not had any problems until now. I just don't want to take the risk with a new one as this does look to be a fairly common problem. Most of the comments in the other link I had ended with "I had to send it back".

5. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A point worth remembering is that just coz a battery is charged t from the mains and takes a full charge, doesn;t mean that it isn't dead. Some duff batteries simply do not hold their charge and can give the impression that they are fully charged..

7. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link to the repair - £160 to replace the hard disk and £50 for a new battery. As I thought, I'm better off getting something new. But thanks again for the link as I didn't know about it and it's helped me make up my mind!! :smashin:

p.s. if you are looking for the link - I'm not sure how to post it into here - but if you search this site on "iPod error" you'll find it in there. Several pages lamenting the problem hard disk and what to try when you get the folder icon.

8. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might also be worth trying Apple iPod service request anyway:

http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/

Apple are usually pretty good when it comes to just out-of-warranty repairs. You could always tell them it was a birthday present or something, so although it was bought earlier, you didn't actually use it till such-and-such a date...

9. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    A just out of warranty iPod is significantly cheaper to fix than one that's a month or more out of warranty. You're best off going through the Apple service quote ASAP.

10. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that but their view was pretty much "out of warranty is out of warranty" regardless of how short the time frame is. I've ended up plumping for the Sony. The more I searched for a fix to the hard disk problem the more I realised how common it is - there is even a direct link from the Apple site. I don't have the confidence that the same thing will not happen again and therefore have plumped with the different brand. I've picked the Sony up at the airport for £170 (Dixons) so that seems like a good deal. I also start again with a full warranty and have a fully up to date product rather than a repaired 3G iPod.

Thanks again for all the helpful links and info. It was appreciated.

11. thx25

thx25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All retailers have to look after you for up to 5 years on electrical goods. They have to prove that ot is reasonable for your item to only last 12 months and 2 days.

Example.....

A kettle costing £5.70. Would you expect it to last as long as a kettle costing £50?

This does not mean that retailer has to replace your item, but may give you a partial refund etc..... The limited warrenty is rubbish..... get on to trading standards if the retailer does not help you out in some way, even if it is only discount off a new product.

I am a manager of a store that sells electrical goods, not many people know their rights so. But those that do will get something from me.... I don't want a court case over my head.

12. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PM for you.