Dead Graphic Card with old AM2 motherboard system

The Wagster

Standard Member
Hi,

My graphics card in my desktop has stopped working - no display on a perfectly working monitor. So I'm looking to get a cheap graphics card to replace it. I do some gaming but nothing graphics intensive like fps or whatever.

The now dead graphics card was an ATI Radeon Saphire X1650 Pro with 512 MB memory. I was pretty happy with that so not looking for a huge upgrade but it did have problems playing Tropico 3 so I would like a different card rather than the same model.

Motherboard is an Abit KN9 SLI - an old AM2 motherboard. The website linked there says it has a PCI-E x16 slot. Will current generation graphics cards work in there? Or do they use a different connection. Some guy in a computer shop suggested I might struggle to find a replacement that works with the motherboard.

Many thanks for your help.

Wagster

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Suggest looking at a AMD (ATI) card in the HD6xxx or HD7xxx range.

A budget always helps to get a better response.

What OS are you running.

The Wagster

Standard Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look them up. So will the current crop of graphics cards work with that PCI-Ex16 slot or have they got a new standard connection?

Budget is as cheap as possible! Less than £50 if possible!

It's currently on XP and Ubuntu dual boot but it died just as I was about to stick Windows 8 on it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom