Dead Denon - repair or replace

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by petrieboy, Jan 31, 2009.

Tags:
  1. petrieboy

petrieboy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i have a Denon AVR 1803 which i bought second hand to go with my Jamo A102 speakers and home theatre pc. all was well and sounding fine until i shorted the speaker cables and now the thing switches off after a few seconds. ive unplugged everything, left it over night and done a soft reset but no luck.

so - as i didnt buy this new, i dont know how old this is or what it was worth so do i pay for a repair (assuming its possible) and at what point should i consider it written off? (what should i be looking to pay for an equivilent quality amp?)

also - can anyone recomend a repairer in the cambridge/herts/north london area??

2. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,661
    I don't know this unit but have you checked to see if you have just blown an internal fuse?

3. petrieboy

petrieboy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    two glass fuses on the power side both looked to be intact, other than that there was nothing obviously fuse-like under there. i was hoping for a big red "re-set circut" button but alas it was not to be :-(

4. 100949football

100949football

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39

Hate to be a "predator -vulture" but if you are moving this on for spares please let me know as I am looking for a part for my Denon which has other problem.

How old is yours?

Hope you can fix it though!

:smashin::smashin:: or as far as you are concerned :thumbsdow

5. petrieboy

petrieboy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    well i couldn't find anyone to quote for a repair so I've replaced with and Onkyo unit. what part is it you need - or do you need the whole beast? I'm sorry i don't know how old it is as it was 2nd hand - can dig out a serial number if that would help??