1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Amp - Advice needed to partner Dynaudio speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mal1, Apr 6, 2005.

1. mal1

mal1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've got a dead Kenwood KAF 3030 amp on my hands - was plugging in a tv to aux in and heard a bit of static 'pop' - oh dear - thought the amp was off. Now no inputs work. No hiss from the speakers either so I'm not sure if the inputs are fried or the outputs but headphone out doesn't work either. That's a well deserved
    :oops:

Anyway - it lasted six months past its extended 3 year warranty (tsck) and unless anyone knows how to troubleshoot this kind of problem I'm in the market for a new amp.

I've got a pair of little Dynaudios (Audience 52's) that give a really great sound but often bring the claim to be difficult to drive (4 ohm puppies). These don't support bi-wiring so that's not an issue. I don't do huge volumes and have a bulky power conditioner from SmartSound so I should get by without doing seperate power amp. My budget sweet spot is £300 but I could raise to just under £400 if the recommendation is strong enough. Phono capabilities are already sorted with a Gram Amp so that is not an issue - an extra aux in would be better. A subwoofer brings up the bass so a spare output goes well there too. It can take a speaker wire connection but I prefer the stereo phono style link. At the moment it runs from tape out.

Music played varies from Fila Brazilia to Santana to Dub to Roots Manuva to Classical to Stan Getz to Johnny Cash to Quasimoto and many points in between so an all-rounder would be good!

What I didn't like about the old amp was it seemed a little bit bright but imaging was very nice. Something that can present a decent soundstage will get :thumbsup:

Any ideas? :lease:

Many thanks

Mal

2. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    2nd hand might be the way to go. If you are looking for a warmer sound then have a listen to Arcam stuff.
    You dont say what interconnects/ speaker cable you are using but this is also an area where brightness can be sorted.
    Surely a local electonics company would give you a estimate on a repair .

3. mal1

mal1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thnks pwood,

I would be happy with second hand. I'm using DIY CAT5 speaker cables and some interconnects that I've made after various experiments with different cables and have tweaked things that way.

I'm leaning to Rotel or Arcam as these seem to have been used by others with Dyns. Trouble with researching is getting distracted by higher level gear. Also - one thing that bugs me are amps that leave you using just a tiny fraction of the control range for normal everyday output and you need to make minute adjustments to get the level you want.

4. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Russ Andrews.com have an attenuated interconnect that reduces CD output giving more control over volume. I tried this but to be honest it wasn't right for my system however it might be suitable for you.
    As I now have a Denon 3802 av amp with digital volume control this is no longer a problem.
    Linn Majik amps are good at driving difficult loads and are avail 2nd hand however the Linn sound is not to everyones taste.

5. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi mal1

Did you check the fuses on the unit?

Paul

6. mal1

mal1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've checked the fuses and they are fine. I think a static shock may have frizzled the main IC chip on the board. I've checked the main caps and there is some white stuff underneath them but it is dry and solid - It looks more like mounting paste than the internal gunk. I can't get to the underneath of the board without totally taking the amp apart.

I'm taking it down to a repair shop tomorrow and see if they can fix it but I don't think they will be able to. I'm part thinking of salvaging bits of it to dabble in a DIY amp but SWMBO is on a de-cluttering exercise at the moment!

7. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I'd have a look at a S/H Naim Nait2. Naim works amazigly well with Dynaudios.

8. mal1

mal1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oohh! Yes, I've heard the Naims go well with the Dyns and there is one on ebay for the right money (so far).

Getting a Naim seems to be like joining a sect though - all my cables will need to be converted to DIN connectors. Is that going to be pretty straighforward or should I budget for new cables?

9. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Mal,

Just an off-chance, but might be worth speaking looking at your home insurance as well - if you've got accidental damage cover that might cover the repair to your current amp. Unless you want a new one, that is ;)

Jon

10. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Chord Company do an extensive range of DIN to Phono cables, so it's not a problem.

11. mal1

mal1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Jon,

Doh! - I'd just renewed my home ins and declined acc damage cover cos I never break anything! But it's been a while since I've bought anything and the gear lust is huge right now! :)

I've also taken a look at joining the multichannel crowd (the previous policy of my lovely wife was against "filling the room with boxes" but now seems more accommodating) and I've been checking out the Marantz SR5500 or SR7500. I'll have to audition one to see if it's OK in normal stereo. Some good reviews in this forum.

Mal

12. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sod's law, I guess. I've got insurance with Halifax (which includes accidental damage to hi-fi and TV as standard) and naturally since I got it I've managed to avoid breaking anything ;) Guess it means you get to buy a new amp, anyway, assuming it can't be repaired :)

Jon

13. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I would also consider a WAD valve amp for about £300

14. mal1

mal1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting one, the WAD. THis also looks good too but costs a little more: http://www.triode-systems.com/ella_brian_build.htm

I always fancied having a bunch of valves in the rack but will have to wait a bit more. I was on the trail of a Densen amp - they use a design that avoids negative feedback so the techies claim it has a more valve like character and AFAIK they are good with Dyns.

I've made a deal on a Naim system so should have that in a couple of weeks. In the meantime I'm thinking of picking up a AV amp on fleabay and see how that goes but I'm definitely staying stereo for music.

Thanks for all the advice guys - will let you know how I get on.

Mal :smashin: