Quantcast

De Longhi 29.660sb, weak coffee, any ideas?

mambo1888

Hey folks, I just picked up one of these bean to cup machines. Im by no means a coffee snob, infact very rarely drink coffee but have started to drink a bit more the last month or so and my missus likes her coffee so decided to try this out.

I have tried a few drinks with it since it was delivered yesterday. There are adjustments for strength on some of the normal coffee's but doesnt seem to be strength option for the milky coffee's and they are coming out very weak, just like milk with a hint of coffee.

Anyone have any idea's? A lot of the threads that have come up when doing a google search always seem to say forget a B2C machine if you want a good cup of coffee, but surely its possible to get a decent cup from these machines, maybe not for a coffee snob but for someone like myself who just wants something like you get with the pod machines. We have a Tassimo pod machine that makes nice Latte's etc but I hate the waste created per cup with the pods and also the cost is fairly high per cup.

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
A few years ago I briefly owned a DeLonghi Eletta B2C machine. I soon discovered that all DeLonghi B2C machines only use 7g of Coffee to brew a cup. It went back within a week.

mambo1888

A few years ago I briefly owned a DeLonghi Eletta B2C machine. I soon discovered that all DeLonghi B2C machines only use 7g of Coffee to brew a cup. It went back within a week.
Thanks, that makes sense. I have found a routine that gives a really good americano, so maybe its possible to do a manual milek drink to get a better taste.

outoftheknow

Distinguished Member
I soon discovered that all DeLonghi B2C machines only use 7g of Coffee to brew a cup. It went back within a week.
Back in the day (and now) 7g was/is a shot for espresso I thought. Surely the machines have an option for double shot or to increase that? When making a coffee over the 40ml or a mug of milky coffee you need more shots - I guess those machines are too old school! :laugh:

mambo1888

Back in the day (and now) 7g was/is a shot for espresso I thought. Surely the machines have an option for double shot or to increase that? When making a coffee over the 40ml or a mug of milky coffee you need more shots - I guess those machines are too old school! :laugh:
The machine ive got lets you do double or single shots, and if you are using beans it lets you chose varying strengths. if using pre ground you can only do 1 shot and no option for varying strengths.

Im waiting on delivery of more beans so at the moment just using some pre ground costa. Results are quite varied but this morning while making a large mug of coffee I put through 2 shots of pre ground in the extra long coffee setting and added a little flat milk and it was really good.

I think its the milky coffee's I need to practice, like you say they need more shots. Im not sure if the milk will make a difference too as we only have skimmed milk, might try some full fat or semi skimmed.

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
The Miele B2C that I currently own enables variable amounts of Coffee up to 11g, and has variable pre-brewing options too.

Even so, other/better machines, such as the Rancilio Silver, facilitate up to 18g of pre-ground Coffee.

mambo1888

The Miele B2C that I currently own enables variable amounts of Coffee up to 11g, and has variable pre-brewing options too.

Even so, other/better machines, such as the Rancilio Silver, facilitate up to 18g of pre-ground Coffee.
I wish I had known more about all this before ordering the machine, the reviews looked good so I went ahead based on them. Im not sure I would have been willing to spend any more than I did though so would probably stuck with the Tassimo. Its a shame they dont do proper refillable pods where you just buy the powder to save on the amount of waste with the pods.

Oh well I will keep trying to perfect a decent coffee with the delonghi

outoftheknow

Distinguished Member
I wish I had known more about all this before ordering the machine, the reviews looked good so I went ahead based on them. Im not sure I would have been willing to spend any more than I did though so would probably stuck with the Tassimo. Its a shame they dont do proper refillable pods where you just buy the powder to save on the amount of waste with the pods.

Oh well I will keep trying to perfect a decent coffee with the delonghi
Noting I don’t have the machine and am not across the physical parts

https://www.delonghi.com/Global/InstructionManuals/EN/EN-Autentica-ETAM29660SB-im.pdf

It seems you can adjust the taste (not clear if that is beans only) in the menu and of course adjust the grinder if required as well (last resort for beans).

For pre ground it appears you can adjust taste for that too and what happens if you add more than a level scoop of pre ground coffee?

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
Im not sure I would have been willing to spend any more than I did though so would probably stuck with the Tassimo.
I used to own a Tassimo. When it eventually broke down, I changed to Nespresso - which is vastly superior to Tassimo.

I currently run a B2C machine alongside a Nespresso.

mambo1888

Noting I don’t have the machine and am not across the physical parts

https://www.delonghi.com/Global/InstructionManuals/EN/EN-Autentica-ETAM29660SB-im.pdf

It seems you can adjust the taste (not clear if that is beans only) in the menu and of course adjust the grinder if required as well (last resort for beans).

For pre ground it appears you can adjust taste for that too and what happens if you add more than a level scoop of pre ground coffee?
Thanks, yeah there are options in the menu for strength when using beans but for pre ground there is only one option, the only other way I could think would be the amount you put in and anything over a level spoon I think falls out, I have some dry pre ground coffee sitting at the back. The way I've been using is doing multiple shots of pre ground but it doesn't seem consistent.

mambo1888

I used to own a Tassimo. When it eventually broke down, I changed to Nespresso - which is vastly superior to Tassimo.

I currently run a B2C machine alongside a Nespresso.
I did look at nespresso machines but liked the idea of a b2c. How do u find having the 2 machines, do you have a preference or does it depend on the type of coffee you are making?

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
Nespresso rank the strength of their Coffee 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. We prefer the ‘Intenso’ range, 8, 10, 11, and 12.

Likewise, we generally buy Coffee Beans with a strength 5 moniker. It might be that you haven’t checked on the strength labels on the Coffee Beans that you’re buying.

We like the Coffee flavour of both the best genuine Nespresso capsules, plus those by L’Or and Starbucks - and typically buy Starbucks’ Verona Coffee Beans.

Percol Intense Espresso (6) is amongst the strongest Beans you can typical buy from the supermarket. Also, for a stronger (milky) Coffee, make Cappucinno rather than Latte or Latte Macchiato.

mambo1888

Nespresso rank the strength of their Coffee 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. We prefer the ‘Intenso’ range, 8, 10, 11, and 12.

Likewise, we generally buy Coffee Beans with a strength 5 moniker. It might be that you haven’t checked on the strength labels on the Coffee Beans that you’re buying.

We like the Coffee flavour of both the best genuine Nespresso capsules, plus those by L’Or and Starbucks - and typically buy Starbucks’ Verona Coffee Beans.

Percol Intense Espresso (6) is amongst the strongest Beans you can typical buy from the supermarket. Also, for a stronger (milky) Coffee, make Cappucinno rather than Latte or Latte Macchiato.
I think id end up in the hospital if I went that stong a coffee lol, Im not great with too much caffeine The costa stuff we have been using is 3, which I thought was medium with 5 being strongest, didnt realise they went to 12!

Ive just started a short shipyard contract where i need to leave at 5am so Ive hooked the coffee maker up so that a coffee is breweed for when I get up. Ive put 5 level spoons in for one of the costa travel mugs, so I will see how that goes and give the delonghi another go when theans arrive.

Appreciate all the input:thumbsup:

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
For me, Costa is probably the worst Coffee available on the High Street - and even worse in its Tassimo guise. It’s not available as Coffee Beans, but only as Ground Coffee (which, once the bag is opened, will not remain fresh for very long).

mambo1888

For me, Costa is probably the worst Coffee available on the High Street - and even worse in its Tassimo guise. It’s not available as Coffee Beans, but only as Ground Coffee (which, once the bag is opened, will not remain fresh for very long).
Have to agree the Tassimo Costa coffee were not great. We got a 200g bag of Costa beans from Tesco so I got them to try as my missus likes Costa, the pre ground stuff I picked up as b&m were selling for a £1 s packet. I have a big bag of Lavazza beans coming today so will see how they compare.

The coffee I had this morning was quite strong (5 spoons for a Costa travel mug amount of water) definitely tasted better so I think it's the amount of coffee that is being used in the b2c machine that is the problem, I reckon 3 spoons for a large cup would be about right.

With regards storing, I close the bag and put in a sealed container and store in cupboard. I hear different opinions about storing in the fridge, what would you recommend?

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
Some people store their Coffee Beans in the freezer: surprisingly, they don’t freeze/stick together. You can then utilise as much or as little as you like. Let them ‘defrost’ before use.

Why are you using ground Coffee in a bean-to-cup machine? It defeats the purpose of owning a B2C machine.

mambo1888

I was only using ground as Id bought some costa pre ground packs when they were on offer for a quid, they were for my coffee maker originally but I thought id try them in the B2C since it can use pre ground, though I think its not a very good solution.

I just got a 1kg bag of beans delivered so I will look at storing in the freezer and only take out a days worth of beans at a time.